Leon wiper blades - Dealer part?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Your first and last mistake was asking anyone is Halfords anything.

If its not listed, just measure your existing one, and buy that size - all the Bosch blades have the size in inches on the box, and a little pack of fixings so you can choose the right one.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Halfords are actually right (for once). The rear wiper has a 16" blade, but an odd fixing which won't fit a standard Bosch blade.

You can buy the 16" blade and swap the rubber bit over, or buy the custom blade for about £5 from a dealer.

Simon.

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
Dodson said:
Get a fabia wiper instead!

Damn right, but those blades can only be bought from a dealer, handy as Skoda dealer prices are quite cheap !!

But the blade for a standard rear wiper is pretty normal, bought blades for that from Halfords type places before.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Spanky said:
But the blade for a standard rear wiper is pretty normal, bought blades for that from Halfords type places before.

The rubber bit is quite normal, but where the frame attaches to the arm is custom. The arm dives under the frame and then jumps up at the fixing - which means that Bosch frames don't fit.

Simon.

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
TheOtherSimon said:
The rubber bit is quite normal, but where the frame attaches to the arm is custom. The arm dives under the frame and then jumps up at the fixing - which means that Bosch frames don't fit.

Simon.

Can't comment on the Bosch ones, but I got a Valeo one from my local motor factors and it fitted a treat.

Thomohawk

May 2, 2006
Yep, tried to replace my rear wiper blade a while back.... tried three different car shops one of which was halfrauds. Each time they told me "I don't have it listed, but this one will definitely fit!" and each time I got my money back once the guy came out to the car for a look.....

Ended up going for the fabia wiper for around 13 quid all in (IIRC), which not only works properly (doesn't bounce across the window), but looks the t!ts too.

Thomo.

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
I did manage to fit a 16" Bosch one but the plastic clip didn't fit over the clip and believe it or not it looked even worse than standard although it did work OK.

I ended up getting the "correct" part from a dealer for about £3.50 IMRC.

If I were you, I would go the Touareg or Fabia route and replace the wiper arm like the guys are saying. It looks so much better IMO

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Okay tell me more about this Fabia wiper "upgrade". I've heard it mentioned a lot on the forums but I don't know a great deal about it... Why is it so good? Does it really look that much better (bearing in mind I'm the kind of purist that prefers his car to look pretty unmodified - no offence to those who like to tart their cars up :) ) ? Any links to pics?

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
How much better does that look compared to the original. What were SEATs engineers thinking when the done the original wiper.

Thomohawk

May 2, 2006
Yep, complete arm swap.

Takes about 5 mins to do - undo the nut, swap em over, do the nut ack up.

IIRC, it's cost me around 13-15 bucks from my local Skoda dealership.

Job done.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Great stuff. I shall mull it over. At least there's no great urgency as I have confirmed that the rear wiper isn't covered by the MoT (which I have tomorrow... *sharp intake of breath*)

Thanks for the info guys :)

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
The other option is the Touran wiper (about £23).

Both the Fabia and Touran wipers are 15", so you lose about an inch of wiped area. Just don't buy a Polo one (which are the ones on ebay), since they are 13" and seriously limit your rear visibility.

All of them take a whole five minutes to swap.

Simon.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members