Light switch issue

nickbing

I've got a 2001 cupra and recently I've noticed that when I turn the headlights on the front fogs come on to. I can only imagine the internal switch has broken?

I used to be able to have either just the headlights on and no fogs or both. To have the fogs on I’d have to pull the internal switch out one click to turn the front fogs on then another click outwards for the rear fogs.

Any idea where would be best to buy a new internal switch (which I guess comes as a whole unit) and how to take the old one out a fit the new on ??

Any help would be appreciated

;)

nickbing

Sorry to sound stupid but any idea which way you turn it. I've tried pushing the switch in and turning it both ways with no joy. How hard do you have to push it in and turn it, I don't want to be too hard on it in case it totally snaps off!!

Do you have to take off the plastic surround first or will the switch come out regardless

:confused:

blue51

Jul 21, 2009
SW London
Same problem, same apprehension about breaking the old switch...

Push-in and turn clockwise: So push hard enough past the resistance and the whole light switch unit pops out?

To put the new one in, do you just push the new unit in? Is there a retaining clip or something? Sorry for basic level!

Nice motor btw LEE69!

landieman

Mine did this a few weeks ago, just do as described to take the switch out, and i found all i had to do was clip the back of the switch back together and its worked fine ever since
(new swich is silly money, when you'll probably find a quick tinker with yours will sort it)

StrongbowRanger

I've got the same problem.

Tried the local dealership and they wanted £66 for a new switch. I also tried the local VW dealership but they said the part was not on their system.

Let me know how you get on with replacing/fixing your switch. It seems a common fault on these cars.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise