Limp mode and strange exhaust whirring noise (mp3 attached)

chrisgeary

Hi all,

I've had my X LC Sport (1.8T AUQ) since February and ever since I bought it (had 103,000 on the clock), its gone in to limp mode most mornings. Winter/Summer, doesn't matter. A few minutes of running later, and I can restart the engine and have full power again.

I have the 'pressure drop, check DV' fault code, which I've yet to do anything about. I assume I need to change the DV and that should fix it. However, there is a strange whirring motor sound from under the bonnet that lasts about a minute from a cold start. Incidentally, this sound will not happen on every start, usually just the first start in the morning and often the next start 8 hours after my working day is done. If I use the car on my lunch, the sound is not present. It sounds like a leaking exhaust but the blowing stops when the motorised whirring does. I've not heard it before on a VAG 1.8T so I've no idea what it is. Can you identify it from the linked files?

Leon-Start.mp3 - this is the cold start.
chrisgearyphotography.com/Leon-Start.mp3

<snip about 45 seconds>

Leon-Stop.mp3 - this is a few seconds before the whirring and consequently the blowing stops and then the car sounds normal. Note its louder because the mic is now under the bonnet.
chrisgearyphotography.com/Leon-Stop.mp3

Along with the sound, if the car is in limp mode, it is very smooth to drive. But if it is in normal mode and cold, it is a little stuttery at low revs, like the mixture is too rich. After its warmed up, its better but after some overrun, if I use the throttle lightly, I'll get more power than I expected then it will back off, like it got some calculations wrong. This "overpower" lasts about 1 second and is only noticeable at very light throttle openings, like if I'm in traffic and gently accelerating.

If it is in normal mode and I've driven it hard, once I'm stopped and it is idling, it will misfire every 6 seconds or so. If I'm in first crawling at idle, I can feel that as a definite loss of combustion in at least one cylinder. The revs will drop and then recover. If it is in normal mode and I haven't driven it hard, say lower than 3500 rpm and not full throttle, this misfire is never present.

The current fault codes are:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 032 DE
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Software Coding: 11510
Work Shop Code: WSC 06441
4 Faults Found:
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17535 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Rich
P1127 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

The interesting one is the MAF code. I changed that back in March for a new VW one! Should I have it replaced under warranty?

The middle two I'm guessing are because of whatever this blowing noise is and possibly to do with the first fault. But if you can help me with the noise and what it might be, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks
Chris

PS. I couldn't make proper links because of forum restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
the noise you can hear is a secondary air intake noise i think it kicks in on cold start to warm the cat up

as for limp mode if its been remapped the IAT values need to be adjusted to overcome this again because the car thinks its cold and is protecting its self;)

chrisgeary

Thanks. So the blowing is normal?

No remap. It's standard as far as I know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members