Locking wheel bolts

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Hi all,

Im just about to put a new set of wheels on my car. I don't want to use the existing standard locking bolts that i have on my sport wheels as they look as if they could be undone easily. There just a star socket type head.

On my last car i had a set of Kahn Rss alloys and had Mc Gurd locking nuts and always thought they where safe from the thieves.

Are Mc gurd the best sort of locking bolts that you can get? What have you got? Any stories of wheels getting nicked?

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
As soon as i got my car 3 years ago i got some McGards, i also kept my standard nuts on. My wheels are still there so they are working pretty well.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Im also thinking of getting rear spacers 20mm. does anyone know if you can get long locking bolts to go through the wheel, spacer then into the hub?

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Don't need locking bolts from spacer to hub, well, depends on the spacer :)

Get a locking nut on the wheel-spacer bit.

What colour you done yours mate?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Ive been looking through the threads about spacers and still can't decide whether to go for the spacer that bolts to the hub or the type that are sandwiched inbetween the wheel an hub using longer bolts.

Obviously if i go for the type that bolts to the hub, i'm able to use normal length locking bolts.

As for the wheels Ad Lav, hopefully i'll have them on next week so i'll get some pictures up and the colour can be a suprise :p

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Hahah, yeah sorry about that.

I wanted a cheap set of 17s to replace the boring sport alloys. I found a guy on ebay selling some without tyres n they needed a refurb so i thought i might aswell get them. They look really good on your car :)
I think i'll be the only platinum grey ibiza with them on:p. I've only seen one other member with them on, silver ibiza with silver vRS

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
wouldnt bother with a locking nuts mate, not worth the money honestly. I spent £30 on mcgards and broke the locking key twice costin £12 a pop, then needed the wheels off and it broke! so got a lad I know to take it off cost nothing and he had it off within a min, o and it was on so tight it broke the key (god dam quick fit)

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
seems like you've had a bad time with mc gards lol. I've heard before that you can only break the key if you use an air gun to put them on n take them off.

I always put a bit of copper grease on the part of the bolt that touches the wheel so that it does'nt get stuck.

Did you have the high security ones with the spinning part on the bolt head or the normal security mc guards?

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
normal ones mate, and nope I managed 2 break em anyway, they didnt crack just bent so the key wouldnt click in propperly. However I do seem to have a talent for breaking things at the moment

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
There the spacers i got spot on really just a little heavy as u may expect from billet steel.. but then that does help keep the wheels down around corners a bit more... but then i sold them and put my 5mm eibech ones back on... feels well better in my book...

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
they weigh quite alot as being steel.... other wise spot on but u cant re-tighen the spacer to hub bolts after the first day without takin the wheel off etc... then doing them again so its a bit of a pain but if u cant afford about £90 from badger5 (ibizacupra) to get some eibech ones then there ur next hope i guess?

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I think i'll go for the hubcentric ones that bolt to the hub as i've just bought a set of Mc gards. I'll probably buy some more expensive spacers made out of that aircraft grade aluminium stuff.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.