Locking wheel nut key lost

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Hi guys, cant find my locking wheel nut key! Last owner show'd me the key in the boot when i brought the car, went to get it out today to clean the back of the wheels and its the wrong key! Anyone in the area of essex any good at getting them off. I'm willing to pay! please help!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Unfortunately without the wheelnut key they will have to be drilled out. If they are the OEM nuts you can get it from a SEAT dealer. Apparently there are 20 difference combinations or something like that.

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
i lost my locking nut key recently too lol. i went to a garage who changes my tyres, and they stuck an adapter thing in,hammered it in tight, and took it off. this ruined the nuts but at least theyre off :D got 2 more to take off when i can be assed to get around to it.

cost me a a tenner, shouldnt cost you much more

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
they're not seat ones which makes it harder. They're the tri-locks. Went to my local dealer and they have quite a few different combinations gave them all a go but no luck.

Was gonna try and smash a 17mm socket over it and wind them off.

Failing that I just found out that you can buy a locking wheel nut removal socket which winds on and cuts in but needs an impact gun to do it.

Might just take it to the local tyre shop see what they can do.

How hard is the steel to drill out. If its not that hard then i'll drill them out myself

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
The socket set is the same as #3 above. They will ruin the bolt but that won't be an issue if you have had two removed already. Seat locking wheel bolts are about £55. At least you know you can get another key if needed.

Also, you don't need an impact gun to get them off as if they slip, they can damage the wheel, best bet is bang the socket on then use a breaker bar to remove them as it will be more controlled.

drue1

May 27, 2009
kent
I went to a tyre shop and they just smashed nut over them and got em off free of charge as i bought 2 new tyres for my old motor

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
nice to know that if someone wants to steal your wheels all they need to do is smash a socket into the locking nut and unscrew like any other lol...

kinda defies the point in having a locking nut :p

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Well johnnyjonjon and faisal it is as simple as that... Was bored so got out an old multi sided 17mm socket big club smashed 7 bells out of it and voloir... All four nuts off in nothing more than fifteen minutes!

ben652

Dec 9, 2007
hartlepool
get a socket the same size as the bolt head hammer it n then use a rachet to loose i had mc guards on my leon the key chew the lock nut up so that what i did use a ruber mallet as if u miss it wont chip the wheels

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
Not one to be a spoil sport but can we get this thread deleted now. Wouldnt want any idiot's browsing this seeing this post and going ohh i might go and steal someone's wheels. Im sure if people had sudjestions like this it should be through Pm as to not risk people's cars.

Sorry just my opinion

Mark :banned:

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
I'm with you on that one lee. Dont mean to sound an a hole but wheel thieves new about this before we did years ago. Its so commonly known now that i dont think this thread will have any impact on wheel theft. But if you feel it needs to be deleted then go for it. Doesn't make any difference to me. James

JamJay

California Bound
That's why you need anti-anti-theft locking nuts :D

I have some that have a ring around the outside that just spins and spins around the actual nut, if you smash a socket on there, it'll just keep turning until you get bored, it'll never come off without the key :)

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
end of the day most people tea leaves will just knick the whole car now rather than mess around trying to just get wheels off.
As its much easier and quicker

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise