Long Cranking 184

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
Afternoon Everyone,

Has anyone else had slow cranking normally from very cold start. Sometimes after glow plug light is out it fires first straight away, sometimes it takes a good amount of time. or even two attempts. Never when it is warm and the cranking isn't weak it just doesn't fire.

I looked on the web and found some MK7 GTD and VRS forums complaining of the same some Skoda sites say they had a revised software applied by dealer, some said this didn't really help.

I have searched the web further today and stumbled across this video.

I don't seem to find the two part numbers listed anywhere which are listed in the video 03L109096B & 03L906455C .

Can anyone confirm these numbers or where to source them i have struggled to find them? Or if they have replaced them ?

I did find this list on a photo on different site.

03L109096B x1

03L906455C x1

03L145215J x1

N10700201 x10

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I did much the same as you with my long cranking 184 and ended up watching the same videoa few weeks ago.

I had initially assumed a glow plug issue but it was very inconsistent and still happened in the summer months. The video helps explain the issues with the VVT unit and how that has now been improved/changed by VAG and changing that should solve the problem.

I've not bothered to do anything about it or looked at part numbers so can't help with that.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 184 TDI and can't say I have ever had this problem. How quickly are you cranking your engine from putting the key in the ignition? I usually put my key in and turn the ignition on, but then do my seatbelt up and give it a few seconds before starting the engine. Has started perfectly every time.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
@Brian Gordon-Stables, i am guessing its not doing any damage, it may just get worse over time? I have asked my regular mechanic to see if he can get pricing on the parts and see if they are correct.

@Bendy i wait a while so all lights go out, wing mirrors unfolded and seat belt on. Its not consistent some mornings its fires straight away.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Has yours thrown up any codes? My VVT (2016 184FR) looks different to the original one in the video, but my friends looks even more different, possibly like the replacement one, on his 2015 184FR.

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
@SteveGSXR600K1 I have not scanned the car for any codes yet, my handheld scanner is a bit old so pre Canbus and my vcds lite is also a old version i am waiting to order a OBDeleven or similar. Mine is 2013 but looks the same as the video,

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I've got a long post on this from a few years back if you do a search.

Long story short, my 184FR did it, my Golf GTD does it, it's a 'feature' of the engine. I didn't try the VVT fix

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
@Brian Gordon-Stables, i am guessing its not doing any damage, it may just get worse over time? I have asked my regular mechanic to see if he can get pricing on the parts and see if they are correct.

@Bendy i wait a while so all lights go out, wing mirrors unfolded and seat belt on. Its not consistent some mornings its fires straight away.

@Sjdickso - AFAIK it causes no harm. It's just a bit annoying! Let us know how you get on though. Be interesting to know if it makes a difference.

@Bendy - what year is your car?

@Big Col - I think your post just about sums it up!

Sjdickso

Apr 21, 2005
The bolt and the housing are not cheap parts. I may hold off swapping them, see how it goes.

Oct 31, 2019
I have the same problem but I don't have such a vvt valve because my car is 2014. My problem I think is from the pump in the tank what I did is leave the tank cap open for the night and in the morning the car started immediately. Now I have disassembled the tank cap and removed the spring on the valve so that it is always open and I have no problems with starting.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I have the same problem but I don't have such a vvt valve because my car is 2014. My problem I think is from the pump in the tank what I did is leave the tank cap open for the night and in the morning the car started immediately. Now I have disassembled the tank cap and removed the spring on the valve so that it is always open and I have no problems with starting.
That makes me think some breather pipe is blocked somewhere else.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My car does/did this intermittently - 2014 Leon ST 184. Only ever on first start of the day when cold, and only randomly. It always starts, but sometimes would crank long enough for me to turn to my other half and pull a 'that's strange' face!
I also found that video of the 2013 GTD and at the time I looked at my engine and noted it looks different from the 'early' VVT until in the video, so I presumed I had a later unit?
I didn't used to pay much attention to the glo-plug light, just get in and start, usually it would start quickly but occasionally would long crank, even with the key released it still cranks until the engine starts.

Now I take note of the glow plug light and only start after it's gone out I can't recall it has happened since. (famous last words!)

red-one

Jun 20, 2016
You don't need to hold the key in the position for start. It works like push to Start button. It wil crank until the engine starts even if you just quickly turn it on and release it. I've got 1.6 tdi 2014 and mine does that long crank too but when its around 10°C. When it's colder or warmer it's fine.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My car does/did this intermittently - 2014 Leon ST 184. Only ever on first start of the day when cold, and only randomly. It always starts, but sometimes would crank long enough for me to turn to my other half and pull a 'that's strange' face!
I also found that video of the 2013 GTD and at the time I looked at my engine and noted it looks different from the 'early' VVT until in the video, so I presumed I had a later unit?
I didn't used to pay much attention to the glo-plug light, just get in and start, usually it would start quickly but occasionally would long crank, even with the key released it still cranks until the engine starts.

Now I take note of the glow plug light and only start after it's gone out I can't recall it has happened since. (famous last words!)
Famous last words indeed... First start this morning after a week 'working from home', was 3 degs C, and had a long crank even after waiting for the glow plug light go out.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Mine frequently likes to chug away when starting for a good couple of seconds sometimes, never not started though. Sounds like a proper diesel.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Famous last words indeed... First start this morning after a week 'working from home', was 3 degs C, and had a long crank even after waiting for the glow plug light go out.

Mine was similar this morning and it flashed up `low battery` as well.

Poor thing has gone from 20,000 miles a year to about 1000.

Might have to consider a trickle charge (need to search the forum about that).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.