loss of electric power

gary1957

Hi guys I am a newbie with a problem on my 02 cordy 1.4 petrol. power steering warning light came on dash. parked car for about 30 mins at shops then no life in battery to start engine.Got a jump start and as I drove home airbag warning light came on and just as I got home lost power steering altogether. No alternator warning light on dash. could this be a battery problem? Any ideas please? Thanks in advance. Gary1957

Skywalker80

I had simialr thing happen to my Ibiza pd tdi 130 sport on sunday afternoon.
Haven't used the car for 4 days, started fine, 20 miles down the road it broke down.
Firstly the TCS and ABS lights came on the dash, then the power steering light followed by dash lights and exterior lights packing up.

Luckily I was near a lay by so drove straight in.
Turned engine off and tried to start the car but wouldn't turn over at all, called R.A.C. as I was in the middle of nowhere and a mile away from the closest town.
When they arrived an hour and a half later they said it sounds like an alternator issue and have seen those warning lights before.
Then the embarrasment came when I turned the key and the engine started without any hesitation!
There was a clicking noise coming from the alternator so the RAC guy checked the voltage and it was spot on 14 and said it could've been snow coming from the grill straight into the alternator. I told my dad (engineer/mechanic) about this and he thought it was odd as an alternator is made to operate in even the wetest of conditions and even in water.

I drove the car back today and didn't have any lights come up at all though.
The sport model does have an extra guage for voltage, usually after the car travels 10mph from cold this guage goes up to 14, today it took almost 5 miles for it to go up, so I am a little dubious.

gary1957

cheers for that skywalker80. had alternator checked and is only charging at 12.2 volts and when any electrical equipment is used it drops to around 11.3 volts. The auto electrician who checked it says it seems to be the alternator but it is an unusual fault because the charge warning light does not come on. he is going to take it off the car and test it on the bench. here,s hoping that he is able to repair it as an exchange alternator costs about £115

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members