lowering guide please

drue1

May 27, 2009
kent
my 40mm lowering will be with me next week and im thinking about doing it myself.is there a guide on fitting kits for the mk1 leon as ive had a search about but nothing.

do it myself and get AMD to align all the wheels or
get AMD to do the lot

any help please cheers all;);)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
theres aguide on fitting coilovers, the basics are the same.... easy to do if you have the correct tools mate.

amd will have to align, leave for a few days to settle first though.

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
All you need is some spring compressors from Halfords ro any other motor shop. The best thing to do is jack the car up get some axel stands under it and have a look, it's pretty self explanatory if you have some technical experience with working on cars.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
The hardest part is getting the shock out of the wheel hub assembly and back in again, well the back in again is the real challenge. Personally after removing my front shocks last week to fit new top mounts there is no way i'd attempt them on a jack, but thats just me.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
Did you have the proper hub spreading tool then?
I had hammers, sockets, air tools, chisels, pry bars, a ramp everything except the hub spreading tool lol, had to make do with a chisel to spread it

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yup, i have the hub spreader, works a treat mate.

chisel works, spreader works even better.

impact wrench, mole grips, sockets, allen keys and white grease..... jobs a good un, oh and a big rubber mallet

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
The hub spreader did look an easy option on the instructions, it wasnt too bad, was just quite tight to put on, ended up holding the weight on the hub with an axle stand, lowering the ramp a bit and then hammering the hub to jolt it up.
I didnt use allen keys though, just used the 1/2' gun on the top of the strut seemed easier with it being so recessed

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yeah impact gun works to take off, should be retightned by hand though, torqued up.

undo top bolt, undo lower strut bolt, insert hub spreader, rubber mallet under strut...whack, comes straight out... i undid the arb mount bolt to lower the hub to get more room to remove.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
yeah impact gun works to take off, should be retightned by hand though, torqued up.

undo top bolt, undo lower strut bolt, insert hub spreader, rubber mallet under strut...whack, comes straight out... i undid the arb mount bolt to lower the hub to get more room to remove.

Yeah I had the bottom arms off aswell as I changed the bottom arm rear bushes at the same time, and a ball joint and the anti roll bar bushes.

Slightly on topic but off topic james, did those janspeeds drop the cupra 35mm or was it less being cupra? doesnt matter either way like, was just wondering before.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.