Lumbar support - is mine broken or are all useless?

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Hi All,

Just want to know whether I should mention this is to dealer or not. On the drivers seat of my FR the lumbar support does virtually nothing, I can just feel it a little bit when it's fully extended.

On the passengers side its even worse and you'd be hard pushed to notice anything as you turn the knob.

Is this normal for FRs or are mine faulty? If you could have a little fiddle next time you're in the car that would be really helpful :)

Thanks a lot :D

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
If you could have a little fiddle next time you're in the car that would be really helpful :)

Oh err missus......:help:

Anyway im at work so any excuse to go and have a fiddle in my car is good enough for me.... it doesn't do a lot for me either, the support i mean, but i find the seats very very comfortable so maybe i just have a badly curved spine!

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
Mine's barely noticeable either, though to be fair it seems to do the job- I've never had a car I can sit in for so long without getting back ache.

Maximus2000uk

Mine works very well but maybe I just have a very sensitive back!

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
our drivers side doesnt do very much but the passengers side seems to work as normal.
havnt really bothered to do anything about it cos the seats are dead comfy
not sure if that helps..
cheers,
g :)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
shite on mine too .....

And the foam cover on the right hand leg/arse part has been bent over (probably by my fat legs :shrug: ) meaning that my leg now rests on the metal frame of the chair (blooming painful!) .

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone for your fiddling.

So, it looks like a design fault then with just the odd one actually working.

The car needs to go in anyway so I might mention it but doubt they be able to do anything about it. Doesn't matter too much though because I agree that the seats are really comfortable as they are,it's just annoying that the car has a feature that doesn't work!

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
BB without actually sitting in lots of cars they might all be the same just some people notice it more than others.... to be honest when i got mine i fiddled with it until it was at the max setting and just left it. Surely its one of those things that if you dont notice it, its a good thing? Ive done a lot of 2hr+ trips and never had a problem and im 6'4"...

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
SMD, I know what you're saying, good point, but from experience, other cars have a big difference between fully off and fully on settings, so much so that that when fully on I an really feel the pressure on my spine.

When testing in the Leon I went from fully off to fully on while sitting there so I could judge the difference and there was virtually none.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
SMD, I know what you're saying, good point, but from experience, other cars have a big difference between fully off and fully on settings, so much so that that when fully on I an really feel the pressure on my spine.

When testing in the Leon I went from fully off to fully on while sitting there so I could judge the difference and there was virtually none.

Yeah i agree, in my last car there was much more of a difference, but i find the Leon seat fine even with the 'poor' support so im ok...

Maybe you should get one of these -

Seat_cushion_bead_standard_small.JPG

:whistle:

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
Mine's the same, hardly any difference. As several people have said, seats are pretty comfy and I don't think I need any adjustment.......fortunately. Would be good to hear from any old codgers with bad backs ;) who normally require lumbar adjustment to see if they do the job or not.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.