M.o.t Failure Exhaust Emissions

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
Went for the annual MOT Test and failed!! evryfing was fine!! except for one thing the emissions test? !! looking at the print out of the emissions test... it failed on the CO (Carbon monoxide) evrything passed lambda and HC... i Have a blue flame turbo back exhaust with sports cat which isnt too old... just baffled to what it can be really? any ideas? or quick fixes? thnks guys!!

limit CO max 0.30% / 0.37% my reading FAIL

Last edited:

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
you might have burnt the bf coating on the inside of the cat by your car running lean this is whats happened to mine but i know the mot place so all is good lol!!!

matt110tdi

what are the full emissions readings?

are your HC readings high? if so it's running rich. check lambda sensor output and use vagcom to check MAF, MAP and temperature sensor outputs against specified values.
if HC is ok, lambda sensor output is ok but CO is high then your cat is bad

to check lambda sensor, measure voltage across the signal wire (usually the black one) and the car bodywork. it should swing between 0.2 and 0.8v about once a second meaning the average is 0.5v. if it averages higher then the car is running rich. if lower it is lean. this would indicate a problem with the mixture but wouldn't necessarily prove the cat is ok.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Getting 0.37 isn't too bad. I had 4.0 instead of 0.3 a while back for my MOT!!! But mine was because my manifold basically disintegrated!

I'd take the advice of others above and just drive around in the low gears at very high revs 20mins before MOT and ask them to the emissions test straight away as soon as you arrive. Should easily pass then if you're only over by 0.07 at the moment!

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Getting 0.37 isn't too bad. I had 4.0 instead of 0.3 a while back for my MOT!!! But mine was because my manifold basically disintegrated!

I'd take the advice of others above and just drive around in the low gears at very high revs 20mins before MOT and ask them to the emissions test straight away as soon as you arrive. Should easily pass then if you're only over by 0.07 at the moment!

Lol mine had been parked up for around for about 4 hours before the test and I still got 0.01 co2 and 7ppm hc, these cars should if heathly easly pass the mot test

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
my blueflame cat died!! and its quite new!! gna cost me ££405! wtf!! :( well upset!! got the system inspected from power engineering !! dunno what to do now? order a new blueflame cat? or just die?

Oct 2, 2006
my blueflame cat died!! and its quite new!! gna cost me ££405! wtf!! :( well upset!! got the system inspected from power engineering !! dunno what to do now? order a new blueflame cat? or just die?

How old is quite new? My first port of call would be checking your receipt or invoice if you still have it? And ringing Blueflame to see if they can help you out in some way. Hope you get it sorted out.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Its a difficult one they could claim there was a fault with the car causing unburnt to get into the cat leading to failure

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
BF i phoned em and they said because you have other mods on the car etc they couldn't do nothing about it!! and quoted me £405! for the cat and a new downpipe to go with it :S .... does anybody have the link for the 200 cell cat from ebay? my BF was installed around OCT 08...??

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
BF are being a b**ch about it!! can someone help me with that 200 cell sports cat? what size? theres a few on ebay? plz as my mot will fail as i have 9 days to get it sorted now

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
also? if i was to buy the sports cat from ebay is it direct fit? as i have th full blue flame system? cheers guys!!

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
BF are being a b**ch about it!! can someone help me with that 200 cell sports cat? what size? theres a few on ebay? plz as my mot will fail as i have 9 days to get it sorted now

It must be under warranty still? jetex do them for about £250 top notch stuff as well

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
nah BF dnt giv a warranty for the cat i asked em !! im baffled!! havent gt much money tbh!! just need it to pass the mot? any asnwers on the ebay ones size ? and direct fit? thnx lemonslap your quick man!! i type a post and it alredi replied too lol!!

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
nah BF dnt giv a warranty for the cat i asked em !! im baffled!! havent gt much money tbh!! just need it to pass the mot? any asnwers on the ebay ones size ? and direct fit? thnx lemonslap your quick man!! i type a post and it alredi replied too lol!!

no problem mate! Well the cheapest way is to find a cupra near you and get an angle grinder then....... you know the rest lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.