Mate needs help - Clutch slipping, smell, and liquid leaking from somewhere!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hi All,

I wish I knew more about cars. But I need some techie explanation if possible.

My mate's mk4 ibiza has a problem. Clutch is slipping and smelling, and the clutch pedal feels all wrong. (A bit like putting foot in treacle?!?!)

Also, car is leaking a fluid onto the floor/road where it is parked. Fluid looks brown/black he thinks. Car is otherwise running normally, no warning lights etc.

Can anyone explain what this might be? Diagrams or links would be fantastic.

My assumptions, which are probably all wrong:

The clutch uses slave/master cylinders - no idea what these really do, but assume they assist in releasing/engaging the clutch - hydrolic fluid??? Is it this fluid that is leaking, perhaps from a seal or bearing, that is getting into clutch and causing the slip?

Sorry, I'm a real thicko on this in-depth technical stuff. :(
Cheers

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
OK, Master cylinder attached to the pedal. Slave cylinder attached to the transmission and throw-out bearing....

Fluid passes from Master to Slave as/when pistons move about... This fluid then goes back and forth, depending on pedal position.....???

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
normally fluid goes from MC, thru pipes into SC - close system

if it's leaking..... then the clutch might not be fully making contact (hence the smell) - and will only get worse as the fluid drops

assuming it's that

then again, no dropping fluid is good

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok... makes sense i think.

So this fluid must be the hydrolic fluid then. Am I right in thinking the cylinder would be bolted to the firewall area? Where can you check the level?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it should pull the fluid from the brake fluid reservoir (I think) - so definately worth checking.....

you're right though, it's on the firewall, near the brake servo

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ah okey dokey... not as thick as i thought then! :)

If it uses brake fluid, surely this leaking would decrease effectiveness of brakes themselves?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ah ok. Apparently there is a good few puddles under the car.... but the leaking seems to have slowed (which would be because the car isn't being driven, and hence fluid isn't being forced out...... i'd think.)

Where would the fluid most likely leak from? The SC, or MC?
And if caught early on (ish) I'm assuming the clutch/flywheel etc should still be ok and useable?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeah, if the clutch isn't burnt out it'll be OK.

to be honest, it could be either that needs replacing - best bet is to pump the pedal while someone looks for leaks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.