MIB1 to MIB2 Upgrade

Teebster

Feb 11, 2019
Hello everyone.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here!

Anyhow, straight to the point.

I’ve managed to do the full conversion, 2013 63 Leon SE. I’ve converted the original system to the better facelift 8 inch screen with the MIB2 head unit. Everything now works - SatNav, Bluetooth, SD card, Full link activated, Voice control Activated.

Now my car doesn’t have a USB port! For me to get the full link CarPlay system working, I need to retrofit a USB port in.

Any guidance on how to do this? I can’t find anything anywhere! I know I need to buy part number 5G0035222E, including the wiring loom. Well I assume so

Anyone done this before?

Also, if anyone needs any info on the MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade, give me a shout! My costs were:

•head unit and display £355
•remove CP - £80
•hacking head unit for CarPlay, satnav & Bluetooth to work - £150

is it worth it? Personally, I love the bigger screen, it genuinely makes my car feel like a brand new one. Definitely a cleaner look and I like to keep things original, otherwise I probably would’ve just bought a pioneer unit or something lol
abc915882a0a93e9d96557a3c2b550ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tell

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hello everyone.

I’ve managed to do the full conversion, 2013 63 Leon SE. I’ve converted the original system to the better facelift 8 inch screen with the MIB2 head unit. Everything now works - SatNav, Bluetooth, SD card, Full link activated, Voice control Activated.

Now my car doesn’t have a USB port! For me to get the full link CarPlay system working, I need to retrofit a USB port in.

Any guidance on how to do this? I can’t find anything anywhere! I know I need to buy part number 5G0035222E, including the wiring loom. Well I assume so

Anyone done this before?

Also, if anyone needs any info on the MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade, give me a shout! My costs were:

•remove CP - £80

is it worth it? Personally, I love the bigger screen, it genuinely makes my car feel like a brand new one. Definitely a cleaner look and I like to keep things original, otherwise I probably would’ve just bought a pioneer unit or something lol

Excellent work, well done. you were very lucky with the cost of the screen and MIB2 unit! I know the USB ports are wired into the back of the MIB but can't remember where offhand. There is a wiring diagram in the workshop manuals.

Reactions: Tell
Mar 21, 2021
Hey man looks great, I picked up a 2014 (64) 1.8 Mk3 2 weeks back and looking to get MIB2 High so i can use android auto, if you could point me in the direction of where you got the parts and how to do the hacks that would be class!

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hey man looks great, I picked up a 2014 (64) 1.8 Mk3 2 weeks back and looking to get MIB2 High so i can use android auto, if you could point me in the direction of where you got the parts and how to do the hacks that would be class!
You don't need the high unit for Android Auto.

Teebster

Feb 11, 2019
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the help with the USB port, parts orders awaiting delivery will update once fitted.

In regards to parts, I bought mine a long long time ago, probably 2 years ago and got them really cheap!

Best place to go looking is either scrap yards or eBay!

Component protection, it was already done on my unit, but a few companies do it, general price is £50-80.00

You’d also need to have the unit hacked to enable Bluetooth, sat Nav, CarPlay and voice control. This is around £100-150 depending on who does it.

Reactions: jjr2000 and HDizzle
Apr 1, 2021
Im really stuck on this topic. I got a 2015 184 last year not knowing the issues with the head units. I really want android auto to get some decent maps.

Do I need to replace the screen and the head unit? if so, can they just swap out? Looked into the Alpine but it seems to cost loads more and I dont really want aftermarket.

Any advice?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Im really stuck on this topic. I got a 2015 184 last year not knowing the issues with the head units. I really want android auto to get some decent maps.

Do I need to replace the screen and the head unit? if so, can they just swap out? Looked into the Alpine but it seems to cost loads more and I dont really want aftermarket.

Any advice?
It really depends on what unit you have, 2015 was the crossover year from MIB1 to MIB2, early MIB2 did not have the option of Android Auto/Apple Carplay but someone in the UK has managed to retrofit the option, not sure if it's Kieran Walkington or Ryan Gash.
If you have MIB1 then this will have to be changed to an MIB2 unit you may be able to use your existing screen.
It's not just a swap out though, requires CP removal and coding.

Reactions: Teebster
Apr 1, 2021
Ive found some units on eBay for an ok price, but struggling to find who can remove CP and hack the unit for BT, SatNav etc. Anyone know anywhere?

As a temporary measure until I can get these bits done, is the screen unit swapable so I can use the 8" screen with the current head unit, or do both parts need CP removing and hacking?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Ive found some units on eBay for an ok price, but struggling to find who can remove CP and hack the unit for BT, SatNav etc. Anyone know anywhere?

As a temporary measure until I can get these bits done, is the screen unit swapable so I can use the 8" screen with the current head unit, or do both parts need CP removing and hacking?
The screen doesn't have any CP just the glovebox unit. Try Keiran Walkington at East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions or Ryan Gash at North East VAG Adaptions, both on Facebook as well.

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
Hello everyone.

Anyone done this before?

•remove CP - £80

did you cut dash for it to fit ?

Lancashire Lad

Mar 6, 2011
Penwortham
www.seatcupra.net
When you swapped the screen and the bit in the glove box, how difficult was it to change the wiring and feed through to the centre console? That's the only worry I have before buying the stuff from East Yorkshire retrofit.

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
When you swapped the screen and the bit in the glove box, how difficult was it to change the wiring and feed through to the centre console? That's the only worry I have before buying the stuff from East Yorkshire retrofit.
just plug and play, the screen cable you just have to trim 1mm of one sine line and it goes in, just be carefully which glovebox unit you buy, some are compatible with vc and others not.

Raven

Mar 10, 2014

•remove CP - £80
Can you please provide part no of the headunit you bought? Is it with DAB + NAV?
Yesterday while browsing around I found below two units:
5F0035874A (MIB 2.5)
5F0035858C (MIB 2)
I am essential after DAB and Carplay/Android Auto and the 8" Screen.

Are there any issues with SW etc to look after regarding CP?

Who did the CP removal for you?

Best Regards

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.