Mib2 Map Updates 2019

Tell

Staff member
The workaround has been known since 2016. First appeared on the Seat Cupra site Leon navigation thread, Exciter is the person that devised it - think he's a geo database programming expert. You will find it published across European boards now. It's no secret. The overall.nds file is like a front index to a book. You can read the book reprinted as long it has the same index cover which is that file and has the library magnetic strip on the cover, the CID of the original SD card your unit is paired to. It was a design oversight. Basically overall.nds file is unique to each release but not associated with the CID. Thus people that delete the overall.nds file by accident can always get back to where they started from using the one on a download of the matching original release. People do, do this after messing it up. The workaround only works with mib2 standard, not mib1.

I guess you have noticed it shows you the trailer speed now. This is a bug that everyone has VW, Skoda etc with this release.

Other tricks you can do if taking the car out of Europe are in here:). The thread doesnt cover the workaround but links to those that may want to take the car to Africa etc.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/map-software-update-how-we-did-it.10250/

7zip is the unzipping program you are suppose to use. For the standard you might get away using the built in unzip in Windows 10. The link covers the Mac workaround for unzipping... I don't have a Mac. Mib2 is fussy about codes that Mac's can incorporate as part of the unzipping process. I know people on the main Leon navigation thread do it with Macs.

On that thread you see how the Europe regions are zoned into the 00 directory in the November release. It won't be long till the June release. Will be interesting whether they return to the all European release or zone or produced zoned and all Europe as VW do. They are all the same releases except you only find the all European release on the VW site at the minute.

As footnote the VAG MAC instructions for downloading as per October 2018 is to use the free utility CleanMyDrive 2 and Keka, whilst for the PC, 7zip.

ATTENTION
If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Cheers Tell your expertise in this matter is much appreciated. You have brought me and others in the same boat up to speed. I wondered what the two speed limits were for. Now that I have updated my maps at no cost and can see how easier it was l am now looking for a simplified proceedure to add speed camera alerts but what I have seen so far on the forum looks far too complicated. Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to explain in layman's language the workings of the map updates

Reactions: Tell

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Guys,

A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

Good Luck!

Worked for you, Aggie, didn't it!

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
The Exciter method.

The whole of Europe from the VW link further up provides a like for like replacement for what you have although it won't say 6P on it. I gave up with Seat links since they are unreliable and late to making the files available. Skoda people dip into the VW release or vice versa dependent on who has it first.

As long as you back up the SD card before doing it you shouldn't have a problem, although as said you can dig your way out of the situation if you haven't. I must say I was a bit worried about doing it the first time since I had access to a standard unit rather than my Plus. Good having both since they are different. Currently busy contributing to both sources. Google Maps have poor maps where the images aren't up to date. Nice to see your contributions when they arrive.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Guys,
Yes mate your instructions were spot on and it saved me a ton of money to boot
All I need now is simple way to add speed cameras to the maps. Any ideas?
A lot of posts have explained the process of doing an update of your cars SatNav card as supplied. I summoned up the courage to try it, Its taken me 2 days to sort this, but I have! Try this,;

Read it first and understand the principles of how this works. Note this assumes Windows is your operating system, VW do show how to for Apple in the link below. Be aware of the 2 systems in Atecas!!

1; Go to SEAT site and download latest map version for your cars infotainment system. https://www.seat.com/owners/my-seat/nav ... ateca.html I used the 6PO version for my car and "Europe 1" map

Store it on PC on your hard drive for future use. (Create a file called "SEAT Ateca Sat Nav Details)

2; Ensure your SD card from your car is "unlocked" beforehand, check the slider on the side of the card. Put original SD card in PC and "cut and paste" original "maps" file onto hard drive into your "SEAT Ateca" file and call it "Original" just in case you need to reinstall it back onto the card. There will be a file called "maps", this is the program you need to copy. Ensure SD card is empty after transferring off old map.

3; Copy new downloaded maps folder from Ateca folder of PC to SD card completely. Use "7 zip" as below: You will need to download "7zip" onto your PC, then follow these instructional steps below from VW for reference. Be very aware of the unzipping program &zip, its what the maps bundle comes in.

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f Choose the Golf model 2017 and the "Discover Media" unit. Scroll to the bottom of this page and find "Download Manual PDF! This is really useful!

4; Then crucially, copy from your ORIGINAL map this file this "MAPS/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS" to replace the same file on your SD card with the new update. This means that original data on the original map program is carried over onto the new map program. Without doing this, the new downloaded map will not work, as it is car-specific.

5; Relock the SD card and put in car!

Hope this helps!! As I said, took me 2 days but I eventually got it right. Read these instructions and do the downloads in preparation first and keep a cool head when doing it! I've now got version 1115, coming from version 0820

Good Luck!

Worked for you, Aggie, didn't it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.