Milltek or Blueflame?! I just can't decide?!!!

DPA

Hi all

Having just received a lovely little surprise from Her Majesty's Inland Revenue :D it's high time I treated my LCR to a 'real' exhaust!

Six months or so ago, I would have gone straight for the Milltek no questions asked, but alot of people are now opting for the Blueflame system.

Price difference aside, what's everyone's opinion, which is the better exhaust? Everyone seems to be in one camp or the other :shrug:

paul26982

dont ask me but id go blueflame, only exhaust i ever bought too tbh, need another for the leon lol

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
The blue flame certainly seems to be a fair bit cheaper on the Blueflame. It also seems that the only issues people have had with them has been as a reult of not being fitted properly.

Blueflame is the way I am swaying at the moment.

DPA

Were you looking at full turbo-back, a cat+cat back or just a cat-back?

I was looking at the hi flow/sports cat and cat back. I know the difference in price gets a bit serious as the Milltek cat is way dearer than the BF equivalent.

But if it was worth it???

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Figures show you should get more torque with a sport cat and cat-back, people mentioned better spool, and it would allow you to go Stage 2 which seems to make quite a difference on the rolling road (but, personally, I'm not sure it makes much difference on the road).

Do BF do just a Cat+cat back? Their dp matches up to a single cat, while the stock car has twin cats (so the stock dp split into two pipes...). Although, I know nothing about exhausts, really...

DPA

Figures show you should get more torque with a sport cat and cat-back, people mentioned better spool, and it would allow you to go Stage 2 which seems to make quite a difference on the rolling road (but, personally, I'm not sure it makes much difference on the road).

Do BF do just a Cat+cat back? Their dp matches up to a single cat, while the stock car has twin cats (so the stock dp split into two pipes...). Although, I know nothing about exhausts, really...

I'm none too sure about the BF either to be honest, trying to find out more about it and also where's best to get one from.

Still, looking like BF so far!

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
I'm none too sure about the BF either to be honest, trying to find out more about it and also where's best to get one from.

Still, looking like BF so far!

I had a search for BlueFlame on eBay and contacted them through there on the auction for a completely different exhaust. Got a reply within 24 hours.

I'll have a look for the reply and post up what I got back.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
In response to the exhaust question I;d say neither spend the money on sorting the suspension

I have the Milltek stainless system with 100cell race cats. Nice, but never worth what I paid for it. Should have bought coilovers instead. Drove a similar car with coilovers on the same day and wanted to weep, but was too late by then. Blue flame are good enough. Had one on a Mark 2 Golf and it was fine. Go BF for the price.

Ello stranger.....it was still a good day ;) .

warren_cox

Back from the dead
In response to the exhaust question I;d say neither spend the money on sorting the suspension

Ello stranger.....it was still a good day ;) .

Hiya mate - I should have gone for a set of Billy's, but I learned a valuable lesson that day!

The Milltek will be up for sale on here soon for about £400 for the whole lot. Its done 11,000 miles on the car but I'll be removing it when I sell it in a few weeks.

bigbadben

I have to say that this question comes up all the time on the vx220 OC site and most agree that the Milltek is of a higher quality when considering construction and fitting together of pipework...

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
I had a Miltek on my Mk4 Golf 1.8T, it purred nicely, until the baffles collapsed in the back box and I had to have a new one under the lifetime warranty. Was a real pain to fit the Miltek without knocking on the rear beam. I now have a full turbo back Blue Flame system (on my LCR) and I would recommend them to anyone, it fits perfectly, never heard a rattle or a knock since day one, and the price of the BF system is ludicrously cheap IMHO. I would definitely sway towards a Blue Flame over a Miltek after owning both brands. Plus the Blue Flame sounds so nice when you rag it yet it's not loud, boomy or annoying inside, on motorways etc. Miltek in my opinion is overpriced, and I forgot to mention, both my Miltek back boxes on my Golf DID rust on the tailpipes so I don't think the grade of stainless steel they use is as good as it should be for the price of their systems. Blue Flame all the way :clap:

Last edited:

mikecupra

I have Blueflame on my Cupra,and i have been impressed with the sound and the difference in performance,the only minor trouble i had with mine was the fit,im waiting on someone to have a play with it to get it to sit right.
But i cant comment on the Milltek,coz never used one.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.