Minimal but decent sound setup for Ipod in Cupra MK3?

Hey guys I know similar questions get asked thousands of times, but ive had a look and not found this question before!

Im a bit of a music fan but not over the top stereo systems in cars.

In my first MK3 Cupra I had the standard HU with Pioneer 6.5" components in the front, and a Sony Xplode amp & Sub in the boot. (No rear speakers).

That setup was good.

In my MK4 Cupra I had a Sony HU with USB/Ipod using standard front speakers, and 6x9's in rear (no amp or sub). The sound was ok considering no sub/amp etc.

So the question is...! Now I have a MK3 Cupra again;

I don't *really* fancy a sub and amp again due to making use of the boot space, but I suppose just an amp could be mounted out of the way...
Anyway!

Would this be any good;

6.5" Components up front (Pioneers/Alpines or similar for about £25-35) With tweeters if needed?

6x9's on rear stealth shelf.

4 channel amplifier powering them.

Would that work? What power would the amp need to be? 500w + or would a 400W do the job?

I don't really want to spend much as it only has to be minimal but half decent sound quality.

A lot of people said 6x9's powered off my old Sony HU in my old MK4 Cupra wouldn't sound good, but it sounded fine to me.

Also, im guessing the Xcar link to get my ipod connected to standard headunit? Only thing that puts me off that, is I read if I forget to disconnect the ipod, it keeps charging even if the engine is off etc!

Is there no solution that lets you keep the ipod connected but doesnt draw power when the engine is off?

Many thanks folks :)

Sean

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I'm interested in knowing this as well, as I have Pioneer components in the front and JBL 6x4s in the back and the speakers do sound a little underpowered.

As for the XCarLink, it does always charge the iPod, but I've left mine in the car connected and the battery has always been fine.

JJ_arosa

just get a air filter and a tidy exhaust and listen to the sound!!

dont need a cd player ha ha

RichFred

The power of your amp depends on what the speakers need, but anything will make a huge difference compared to just running them off the standard head unit's puny amp! You will get loads more bass from 6x9's run from an amp.

My xcarlink doesn't charge my iphone when the ignition is off, but then i never leave that in the car anyway ;)

Interesting folks - thanks for the replies so far...

It would seem by simply amping up a set of 6x9's and components the sound should be adequate which is fine with me.

hmmm about the xcarlink... So some charge ipod's, others don't...

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
You can get an adaptor from the apple store that allows it to charge the new iphone 3g and new ipods.

It's called a Scosche Passport. I have one, was around £20 or so and it works well with my 2g iPod Touch

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Would this be any good;

6.5" Components up front (Pioneers/Alpines or similar for about £25-35) With tweeters if needed?

6x9's on rear stealth shelf.

4 channel amplifier powering them.

Would that work? What power would the amp need to be? 500w + or would a 400W do the job?

Sean

right let me have a stab at this one.
had a quick raid on the halfords website. :blink:

you need seperate tweeters up front so

Fusion EN-CM650 component speaker system £49.99 70w rms 240w max
comes with amps tweeters everything you need to get the front sorted.

for the shelf
Pioneer TS-A6903i DSP 6x9 Speakers £69.99 250w rms 350w max

matched with

Fusion Reactor AM45020 2 Channel Amplifier £89.99 250w rms 450w max

if you want to be really flash with the 6x9's and stop people trying to nick them make up a stealth shelf would give you somewhere to mount the amp aswell on the bottom of the shelf not sure if you could run this one upside down so would have to check.

so there you go front to back all sorted for £209.97 little bit cheap and cheerfull but will do the job alot better over the standard crap the seat comes with. :funk:

Hi mate - I like your style, hadn't thought about putting the amp on the shelf!
For front components, i've never had 'amplified' ones, what does that mean then? I don't need a seperate amp to power them? Where are they pulling their power from? And are they going to be visible on the inside of the car door? Or do they mount behind door cards?
There will be an amp power cable, and remote cable im guessing ran through the car... But thats about it right?

Hi mate, cheers for that,

So the amp needs to have speaker level inputs doesn't it? Why a 2 channel amp? And not 4 channel?

If im getting the components up front, surely they need amping as well? Or is just worth running them from standard HU and amping the 6x9's?
Or am I getting it wrong? And a 2 channel amp can power the 6x9's AND the front components as long as the power is greater than the speaker power combined?

Last edited:

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
If your just going to run the 6x9 of the amp you only need a 2 channel if you want to run the fronts off it aswell then you could get a 4 channel but would be better off then getting a more powerful amp and maybe a power cap to help the strain on the car batt.
But they should be fine running them off the head unit you would get better perfomance running the fronts off an amp aswell but not anything you would notice at the level of power you are looking at.

Hmmm, I think the 2 channel amp would suffice although its being professionally installed so wouldn't make a difference if I went for a 4 channel and amped the fronts as it'd be no extra work for me... Choices choices! But most likely the amped 6x9's would be fine.

The amplifier you suggested does not have speaker level inputs though... Surely you need that with the standard HU?

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
for this if you amplify your 6x9s i would do your front componnt speakers as well otherwise you'll notice the sound will all come from the back and rather than buying a 4 channel amp i would but two twos oe for the front and one for the back, other wise youl have aot of cable running to do it you want to take speaker wire from the rear of the car to the front.

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
i shouldn't think so tbh becasue itl all come through a set of phono leads from the back of the headunit so itl only need rca inputs on the amp and then if your using the standed head unit youl need rca convertors

i think

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
no but there is two ways you can do this you can go to haforrds and get a speaker wire to phono converter or from your local motorworld i have been told there is a adaptoor that fits on to the back of the standed headnit that will sort this