Mk1 Cupra Revival

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
My luck was in, whilst at work some delivery driver come up short whilst maneuvering outside my house and punished my bumper ... marvellous. Fortunately its not that bad and he accepted liability so now I have paintwork on the list!

Still waiting for the gearbox to be done though as the daily needed shocks and springs but as soon as that's out we can change all the water pipes, engine mounts and replace the nsr door lock. I might then consider washing the old girl.

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
So to cut a long story short the delivery driver couldn't afford to cover the cost of repair to the paintwork himself so I had to approach his insurance. They have assesed and determined it would be uneconomical to repair so now I have 3 choices.

1.) Write it off and take some money with a bit of a hit after the work already done.

2.) Take some money but have the insurance mark the rest of its days as a Category N - I'll probably sell it for a loaf of bread if this happens.

3.) Argue the point of being fully comp and battle for a better result.

Either way it sucks.

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
In the interest of those that would like an update on the insurance progress. I renegotiated hard and seem to have had a result! After holding back on the purchase price initially, it turned out that's what put the car back into the repairable threshold without being tarnished with a cat n.

So, off to the body shop I went and managed to reach a deal to get the whole thing resprayed. I benefit from some trade prices and I've never had a car with such terrible paintwork and as mechanically its not far off being completely sound, it seems like a good idea to give the paint a new lease on life!!

No fancy colours or patterns just a refresh to code.

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
This is the damage ... to think they said it was either total loss or cat n is just ridiculous.

Attachments

• 20220620_180259.jpg
    20220620_180259.jpg
    970.5 KB · Views: 149

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
Cars finally booked in to the bodyshop on Friday. It'll be having a full body respray and I am so looking forward to having it back with enviable panels!

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
With the garage closed it seemed like a good opportunity to get the gearbox out and sent off for rebuild. At the same time and with even more room, I made a start replacing the water pipes.

After having discussed with the brother I've agreed I should replace the clutch, it just makes sense. I will also source an upper gearbox mount to accompany the replacement dog bone, knocking should hopefully be a thing of the past!

Hopefully have it back together by the end of the week as long as the gearbox guy wants to do it ... fingers crossed 🤞

Attachments

• 20221227_152805.jpg
    20221227_152805.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20221227_214615.jpg
    20221227_214615.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: MoToJoJo

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
So far so good, I haven't ragged it but it feels awesome. I had it back in the garage briefly to replace the last dodgy door lock so now, all door locks are working as originally intended and rhere was a cv boot that needed replacing. The engine bay was treated to a bit of a clean to finish it off and voilà! MK1 Cupra ... revived!!!!

Attachments

• 20230106_211241.jpg
    20230106_211241.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 84

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
Not much of an update but I replaced the indicator lenses, the cover had fell off one of the old ones so, out with the old in with the new! I chose smoked to bring in a little more of the black elements together.

Still up for sale, but I'm curious what do we think its worth?

Attachments

• 20230213_092516.jpg
    20230213_092516.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Not much of an update but I replaced the indicator lenses, the cover had fell off one of the old ones so, out with the old in with the new! I chose smoked to bring in a little more of the black elements together.

Hi Carly. I've had a quick butcher's on Gumtree but can't seem to find your ad...you got a link?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020

Nice touch

Reactions: CupraCarly

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
All my efforts enabled a smooth and long awaited sale on Thursday. It was a fun but mostly problematic ownership, she developed yet another Coolant leak on the day of sale (typical) But it wasn't menacing enough to put the buyer off. Apparently its now heading to the Nurburgring!

Here she is in all her glory on the last day in my ownership. What a journey!

1000010417.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise