Mk1 seat leon (1M) rear door glass re-install

Jul 9, 2019
Hi guys, so i have recently had to remove the inner plastic mechanism located behind my driver side rear door handle as I accidentally removed the small torx screw and the anodised ring that sits on the edge of the screw dropped loose. I followed the following video to help me get to this component although my aim was just to get to the plastic mechanism not remove the door locking mechanism itself.

If you watch the video from around the 4:00 mark until 5:30 you will see the chap removes a spreader pin and then knocks the plastic tube piece out through the back of the window holding structure. Now i have come to re-assemble this and i cant seem to get the spreader pin or plastic tube piece back in as the steel window bracket is in the way and the elongated hole is to small for me to fit it back through ??? Is there some way of me getting my hand behind and pushing it back in that way without damaging the door or glass etc ? If so should i place the spreader pin back into the tube before forcing it back in ? Sorry for the essay but i wanted to be as detailed as possible, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I might have misread what you're trying to do, so apologies if this is the case, but I found that the best way of getting the plug back in was to put the outer part into the bottom of the glass, before using a pair of slip joint pliers to try and apply equal pressure from both sides.

You get the best access with the window mechanism wound all the way down, and you can manipulate the window once its down (i.e. it will move freely, allowing you to get the angle you want).

It might be possible to re-use the old one, but the new ones cost pennies from SEAT and they come with the inner already attached to the outer part, so you just have to squeeze them together. It would probably drive me crazy both trying to get the plug to sit in place and try to squeeze the parts together.

SEAT part number is 6N0839511 - buy a few just so you've got spares. They cost a few pounds at least on eBay, but from a dealer they're less than a pound if memory serves.

When you use the window after, be prepared to **** your pants the first few times you wind the window up or down. I have no idea why, but when I first wound it down then up, there was a huge bang. I half expected my door to be filled with glass, but it was fine.

Jul 9, 2019
Hi pal, i have already sorted it now, and i did exactly as you described anyway. Thankyou very much for your comment, my car has been fully resprayed and i have just put the finishing touches on. Got back home at 1: 30 am and i have work in 4 hours , well at least the cars ready for the road now. Thanks again.

Reactions: iammooks
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise