mk2 beeza rally build

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
I will do my best to keep it interesting. If anything people may learn through the mistakes I make. Should be plenty. So may be quite educational. LOL No work at it today maybe some tomorrow evening.

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Right like I said, some work done tonight, does not seem a lot but it took ages to gwt the windscreen bar lined up. Had to use ratchet straps to force it into place.
P4120061.jpg

Dont laugh at the tape. Had to use something to make sure the joints lined up.
P4120059.jpg

Lined up the top part of the front triangulation.
P4120062.jpg

Only got 4 of the joints welded. Get some more done in a day or so.

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
wow what a web of tubeing,looks like a BIG spider as been in there lol,have you made all that your self?

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Its a cds multipoint weld in from Custom Cages. It certainly is a tight fit but should add good rigidity to the chassis. The hardest part will be welding the joints that are close to the roof. I may have to drill holes in the floor where the the feet of the cage sit, drop it an inch, do the welds, lift it back up, repair the holes and then place the support plates in. I may get the cage completed this weekend.

ronnie35

Mar 29, 2006
Aberystwyth
You can get away without dropping the cage, by the looks of this youve welded all of the front roof bar in. What i did was to weld as much of the main hoop as i could with it in the correct position, then using ratchet straps, pulling the base of the main hoop towards the front of the car bringing it off the little 'ledge' onto the floor giving you enough room above to weld above.

I hope you understand, i havent expalined it to good!

By the way, use a small welding torch, because getting to some of the joints can be hell of a tight squeeze!

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Cheers for the advice. Its all welcome.Your right its a tight squeeze!!!! Luckily enough I have 2 different welders here and one has a really small torch. I see where your coming from with pulling the main hoop forward. The main hoop is not going to be much bother though. The difficult one for me will be the upper welds on the windscreen bar as my screen is still in. Im going to use ratchet straps to pull the front legs off their plates to get the cage to drop at the front. Managed to profile the roof crossbar last night and got it tacked up into place.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
talking to prodrive at autosport - apparently they cut a scooby up to get the cage in - roof off etc, so involved are the cages now

and apparently a wrc focus is more like a spaceframe with panels bolted to it these days

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
talking to prodrive at autosport - apparently they cut a scooby up to get the cage in - roof off etc, so involved are the cages now

and apparently a wrc focus is more like a spaceframe with panels bolted to it these days

been doing that for years in autograss - but in a much cruder way of course :)

most panels are spot welded together anyway and you could squash a roof in jumping on it - as RobT says could be ideal time to clean up the sunroof hole too saying that it's smooth roof anyway

refitting a roof/pillars would be better strength wise than cut/repair a floor which is where the cage gains its mounts - if you landed on the roof it would stand less chance of punching through the floor then whereas a roof skin becomes collateral damage

Last edited:

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
The cage sits on square steel plates designed to take the load. The holes would be below the plates and are only the diameter of the bar. These holes are then repaired before the cage feet are put in place and welded. There is no loss of strength in the repaired floor, if anything it should be stronger as it would be a repair plate which extends slightly larger than the hole. :D Anyway, im hoping not to have to go to the point of cutting. There may be just enough room when I lower the main hoop the 10mm to the floor and pull the front feet of the sills. This is where the small welder should help :funk:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i suppose its no worse than a welded up grommet hole when you think about it :)

nog986

Mar 14, 2008
N. Ireland
Eeeks! Dont remind me!!!! Have you seen how many grommet holes are on a Beeza. I have them all to seal. This projects going to take forever. Must remember to buy more gas and wire for the mig!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.