Mk2 Ibiza 16V Hillclimb/Sprint car - 2014 Race Season begins!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Cheers chaps.

Well beam is back from blasting and painting and spherical bearings fitted - damn they fit well....no chance of em falling out lets say. But the inner bearings are very smooth in action indeed - definitely the way forward now the car is no longer on the road. Ordered all new fasteners and clips from Seat which will arrive Tues, then time to fit ibiza turbo rear brakes and it can go back on the car.

beam.jpg

The disks from the turbo donor are almost new so they can go back on along with my old calipers and fast road Pagids.

Std fuel tank and swirl pot system has come out and one of these should arrive tomorrow, 2 gallon:

AHF074.jpg

Slightly different as inlets/oulets are different and it has a built in roll-over valve in the breather as is required by MSA regs.

So the rear compartment will have two tanks like this pretty much equivalent size, oil, fuel, and pumps/filter. Battery will be in there also in a separate fibreglass box for added safety.

More next week.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Bits and pieces been happening - rear beam is refitted with spherical bearing pivot bushes (cheers for help Dave) and ibiza turbo rear discks and stub axles, but kept my original calipers and fast road pagid pads. All new nuts/bolts/clips/fastenings/caps throughout

While axle was off, opportunity to bin the original 45L fuel tank/pump and save some weight. Now oil tank, fuel tank, fuel pump and fuel filter, and battery will be housed in single enclosure in boot area. Have made a raised floor to mount everything on and so the fuel pump can sit below the tank level in the spare wheel well to ensure good gravity feed. Battery will be sunk into the raised floor and sit on the spare wheel well floor. Fuel tank is 2 gallon and foam filled to stop sloshing about, with 8mm inlet and 12mm outlet, and vent fitted will built in roll over valve (as per MSA recommendations). Could reuse the pump I have but its at least 10 years old so thinking might be a good opportunity to fit a new Bosch 044 one for a bit more capacity.

tanks.jpg

Car is also off to a suspension expert for a thorough evaluation - more details soon. Was going to buy some new rear shocks but have decided to hold fire and see what an expert makes of what I have already before going any further. Really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
Cheers chaps.

Well beam is back from blasting and painting and spherical bearings fitted - damn they fit well....no chance of em falling out lets say. But the inner bearings are very smooth in action indeed - definitely the way forward now the car is no longer on the road. Ordered all new fasteners and clips from Seat which will arrive Tues, then time to fit ibiza turbo rear brakes and it can go back on the car.

beam.jpg

The disks from the turbo donor are almost new so they can go back on along with my old calipers and fast road Pagids.

Is that the rear beam and brakes from my old cupra then mate?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Its part of the brakes (axles/hubs/disks) - the ibiza 1.8T beam is different to the 16V beam so was not a direct swap

So your motor lives on :).....

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Right - its all about to get exciting again after the car has been away for almost 2 months having quite a lot of work done. But its coming back Monday.....

Updates next week

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Well what a trip back last night - never seen so much rain - really dangerous.

Anyhow, spent the day inspecting nice new car bits.

Car has been evaluated by two separate suspension engineers and based on that, has had some suspension modifications done. Car was not too bad to start with but has always used its front nearside tyre really hard so this was one of aims to try and solve. Also, tended to snap oversteer at very extreame grip levels so wanted to tame this a bit and have a bit more notice of breakaway.

So its had the front Ledas tested and completely rebuilt with completely different damper characteristics, much more body control hopefully. Softer springs to help traction. To go with this, have an adjustable front arb which goes from softer than before, to quite a bit stiffer.

bladearb.jpg

Rear Spax dampers were goosed so had some new ones made to specific characteristics - Gaz. Fitted some solid rear topmounts while was at it which had in stock from a while ago. Slightly firmer springs, and remounted Eibach arb to stiffen it up slightly. Not that much different on rear though apart from damping curves.

topmounts.jpg

reararb.jpg

All corner weighted to account for spring rate changes.

Front wishbones now need to come off for spherical bearings to be fitted, and the rear topmounts needs painting top and bottom.

Almost no rubber at all left in suspension now....yeh....:D

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Nope - but lots of computer simulation - now have to finish the bits I need to do and we are going to have a datalogging day :)

Science in action

Pull the little pin, and rotate blade to give 7 settings from softer than old one, to approx 150% old one

Last edited:

benoit62

Oct 30, 2012
robt evening and congratulations for your work!
I would like to ask you some questions about specific points of your mk2 ibiza, but I do not want to dirty your post ...
I then contacted by private message or can do it here?
thank you in advance for your attention!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Started taking stuff apart to make sure all is well - just dont trust workshops these days, need to know myself stuff is right.

Rear dampers off for checking - nice - alloy bodied Gaz with spherical bearings both ends

DSC03240.jpg

Really fancied the ones from Black Art Designs but they didn't have enough clearance at the underside of the topmount. And they were twice the price. And apparently no better a damper.

Mounting the dampers like this means that there is no preload or bending force on the shaft as the damper works - which there is with the std setup - should make the damper action smoother and more efficient

Quick wire brush and paint rear topmounts top and bottom

DSC03241.jpg

Reassembly when paint is dry, rear end complete.

On to next job.

Last edited:

benoit62

Oct 30, 2012
thank you!
I am looking for front fenders "large" as well as your fiber hood ...
here in Belgium, there is nothing to seat!!
and maybe you'd know where I can also find a pedal box for my seat? it is a MK2 like yours. I look on compbrake but there is for vw ....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.