Mk2 Leon Cupra brakes

kurfus

Mar 20, 2010
Hi there,

It seems both Cupra and R versions share same brakes which acording catalog are:

- Front: 345x30
- Rear: 286x12

Are these Brembo brakes? I have read somewhere but not sure about this...

Regarding calipers, how many "pots" (pistons) on each? Front ones look huge!

Thank very much.

Best regards.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
They are not made by Brembo no, probably ATE.

They are single piston brakes.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I would just say that the 345mm brakes at the front give the Cupra awesome stopping power, - more than enough for the road.
You might want to upgrade them for a lot of track use (mine have developed a slight low-speed squeal since my trackday at Oulton Park) but on the highway they are great.
When the Cupra first came out, a lot of journalists critisised the brake feel for being very 'on or off' and I agreed with this at the time as the 2 cars I tried were quite extreme in this regard.
The one I bought though seems to have more progressive feel on the pedal, however, so maybe SEAT changed them after all the comments ?

J0n3

Nov 29, 2009
Cupra R brakes are 4-pot brakes according to seat's media press kit. .

"The disc sizes and four-pot callipers provide the immediate braking response obviously required by a car in this class."

-Jone

kurfus

Mar 20, 2010
Thanks very much for the help.

Another easy question:

Does the cupra model (241 hp) have vented front discs?

If you look closely to the plastic grill near foglight area there is hole and I was wondering if this is brake cooling ducts.

FR model does have this plastic grill but covered.

Regards and thanks again.

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
Thanks very much for the help.

Another easy question:

Does the cupra model (241 hp) have vented front discs?

If you look closely to the plastic grill near foglight area there is hole and I was wondering if this is brake cooling ducts.

FR model does have this plastic grill but covered.

Regards and thanks again.

Do you mean vented, or drilled/slotted? Vented is when two plates of metal form the disc and have a gap between them to allow cooling of the disc. Most cars have this including bog standard cars like my old almera.

Drilled is where holes are drilled and slotted is where slots are machined into the disc surface.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.