Mk3 Ibiza Cupra - Forged Hybrid build! TrackAndStreetGrampian.com, 56k not welcome!

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008

41202510150525103867858.jpg

About it

With selling the 106 VTS, I wanted some boost in my life, and be a dump valve ******, and also cupra's being cheap to insure with my insurer.

The problem with this car is, theres a few bent valves because of timing slipping, which im not surprised.. because it was on 66k miles on the same belt (and for seat thats well over it!) but from record i know that these cars when the timing slips and valves get bent, the bottom end of the engines can go aswell and wont be something that i want to just repair, ill be looking at a new engine, then get it taxed and tested.

The car was recovered to my house on the 10th of November once the lad got back from offshore (had to do all the paperwork into my name etc)

Spec (TO DATE);

Decat
Large Front Mount intercooler
Full Blue-flame Exhaust
Big boy Pipercross Air filter
Forge 008DV Re-circ valve
Creation Motorsport TIP
N249 bypass
N118 Bypass
Secondary Air Pump removed
Air con removed
Secondary Air pump Blanking plug
N249/N118 and SAI - tricked into thinking there working to erase EML faults
Solid Flywheel Conversion

PARTS TO GO IN FOR TURBO BUILD SEEKING 280-300BHP (anything over 280 and im a happy chappy!)

Forged Rods w/ o.e Bearings
Shallow sump kit (scince i broke my last one, havent even scraped my one off the other engine! thank god.)
Magnetic plug to go with that
Head gasket set
Head bolts
Forge Blanking Plate

Waiting on some more funds to get;

Injectors/MAF
Weitech coilovers
Hybrid KO3S Turbo @ CR Turbo's
Ported manifold from bill @ Badger5
Possibly the forge intercooler, with custom welded intercooler piping to stop it blowing off the silicon hoses!!
3" SFS silicon Turbo intake pipe
3" Extention for the air filter for into the wing off the MAF
15mm Wheel spacers on the rear (as the wheels sit too far in!)

Then thats the project come to a standstill untill i get bored with it.

---------------------------------------PROGRESS FROM THE BEGINNING -----------------------------------

Also has a nice little boost gauge..

Hoping once car is in my possesion, all work will be done within a month - no fannying about lol, will do all the usual's like new engine mounts at the same time as new engine going in.

This is it, sitting on the farm where its been housed for over a year now! :-(

cuprac.jpg

Then car came home... waiting on the drive to get work started, meanwhile.. i decided to order all the parts needed for it i.e engine, tyre, brake hoses etc etc

32986227413586596087210.jpg

33685727413572262755310.jpg

21083027413557262756810.jpg

Right... preping for this weekend.. remove the headlights and bumper so we can get allot more access to the car, and avoid damaging everything in the process!

062jy.jpg

The new engine that will be going straight into her ;) it came out an ibiza cupra, its the engine code AQX - i remember saying somewhere it came out a golf, i misstyped. lol

064x.jpg

I decided to buy a sheet of carbon vynal.. as was bored not being able to do anything to it whilst waiting for all the parts to arrive.. i did the front and back chrome 'S' badges.. front one came out rather well if i dont say so myself.

066amx.jpg

Then took delivery of my waterpump and brake hose.. -25% discount rules... so really.. i only paid for the waterpump and got the brake hose free. ;) i do have the timing belt and tentioners.. but they were allready free with the car :)

068xe.jpg

Service parts... Bosch Super 4's (everyone rates NGK well.. but ive always been a super 4 fan boy.. these will do!) fuel filter, and oil filter, and about 5 litres of 10w-40 Castrol Magnatec, I didnt bother ordering the pollen filter.. as ill do that eventually once its up and running, that isnt a priority to get it changed.

070qe.jpg

The MASSIVE air filter.. now this thing is about 6 times bigger than the one that was on it before, its 220x220mm on a 70mm ID and with a new samco hose to extend it as far into the wing as possible (to stop heatsoak as these cars are prone to heatsoak, the battery will have to be moved to the boot at next payday.. as its gona cost about £90 to relocate including the rally/motorsport battery tray for the spare wheel well :) )

072az.jpg

And after Adzer came round, we ended up disconecting allot more so its just virtually ready to come out near enough.. :)

cupra11.jpg

cupra12.jpg

Engine hoist.. ready for tomorow morning.. although, someone broke their finger getting it out the back of the car.. >.<

ohlook.jpg

Engine Is done, and ready to have the clutch changed over, and the gearbox bolted on, should be in tomorow, timing was done, waterpump, plugs, aircon pump removed, N249 Bypass, SAI removed, new blue vacume hoses - thanks adz)

enginedone.jpg

so... Engine out.

engineout.jpg

Engine in ;)

engineinf.jpg

WILL IT RUN? (VIDEO)

[video=youtube_share;uwGhoYPFSQI]http://youtu.be/uwGhoYPFSQI[/video]

As you can hear - theres a hissing sound, a vacume pipe was split, this was replaced in about 10 mins after finding it!

Had a boost problem where it was cutting out, but adam's faultfinding found it to be a one-way-valve :eek: plumbed in the boost gauge, it seems to read 6-7 PSI, so im opimistic to what its actually pushing out

Ordered the new uprated Forge DV008

28514810150715646200394.jpg

Silicon TIP

tipok.jpg

Type R toyo rad - have got piping coming aswell for it.

typerrad.jpg

Ive done a few other little mods to it whilst im waiting for these to come, have wired 2 cables into a slot on the drivers side where the iphone is hidden and velcro'd to keep it secure and out of the eye, has a constant charge and the tape to the o/e headunit is hidden :) so you'd never know it was there, looks neat

I then took 3-4 weeks of having done nothing to the cupra due to the weather, and generally.. i was too busy at work, starting at 6AM and finishing just to come home to sleep, so nothing got done.

Last edited:

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008
Then at the start of january, i decided.. id crack on, had to fit the intercooler, this took me about 5-6 hours, and was a complete pain in my **** (if i had one) anyways.. it was put on, then to realise.. the bumper wouldnt go on, so after trimming the bumper as much as i could... it still wouldnt go on right, so i had to screw the arch inserts to the bumper, which is holding it very well, it only popped off a tiny bit, but its the best im going to get it without changing the whole intercooling system! i also had to remove my foglights aswell, as the piping was being obstructed by that.

40289330516125285833310.jpg

I then had various boost problems, which lead to limp mode constantly, i fixed it once by changing the ports on the N249 valve -one of the vaccumes were in the wrong slots, and i blanked off the other one with some vaccume pipe and a bolt.

But then...

Limp mode again, it didnt occur to me till the day after - i realised a hissing when i was going allong, as if it was dumping the boost, i then had a thought of changing the spring in the standard DV from the green (standard preasure) to the yellow (uprated) i also have a blue spring which is for insane boost, but... ill maby give that a try another day and see if that helps, but for the moment, BOOST LEAK IT FIXED :D

Got the car MOT'd at Mcconichys (thanks wolfie!) and taxxed the same day, so the car... is now on the road!

However... the very same night, the scene, was looking like this.

ONE, very... proud owner (thats me, yes.. im really that hot, that is also my hat.. its famous.)

32559210150476337651048.jpg

And one... very handy person (adzer) under the car when its jacked up right outside Aldi to fix my sump.

32656210150609704753060.jpg

I cracked the sump! no idea what on, it seemingly might of hit off the speed bumps before you go onto back wind, right next to tonic! so i dont go that way anymore! nor cobble stone streets next to jimmy chungs! so Richy gave us a lift to my house, picked up some oil, tools from adzers garage, and my old sump pan, and off we whent back down!

Eventually.. it was fixed :D

Next was a photo-shoot, from Jordan who took out his camera.

41202510150525103867858.jpg

41379910150525117607858.jpg

The next problem i had.. was a boost pipe flying off, coming back from town and just away to drop Reiidzer off, gave a little boost, and POP, missfire, engine cuts out... left it at adzers work as it was just round the corner, and got a lift home from reiidzer (Cupra buddys helping in need!)

Next morning, whent down after a mcdonalds breakfast to go fix the issue, only took around an hour, an hour and a half! mainly cuz i was stopping for a smoke every so often lol

43065331526222518156910.jpg

After this, the boost seems to run fine! ive just ordered 3 resistors because of the selenoids we have disconected from the engine, and they are reading faultcodes - Easy fix, have also ordered a Secondary Air Pump blank from Forge motorsport, to stop that code coming up scince we deleted that too!

27-01 - first part arrives for the forged engine build! Head Gasket set, and head bolts from Elring, Not much to be looking at.. but meh.. cant wait to get my rods! :D

41735531604810843631410.jpg

Next came my 330 ohm 10W resistors, and my forge secondary air blank!

39987431665858504193310.jpg

Have broke my sump AGAIN, awaiting my shallow sump from Awesome GTI now lol, so in the meanwhile... drain oil... Repair the crack, top her up, change the coolant aswell! and then job done!

So... fixing my sump again...

Car jacked up...

42449231722863498492810.jpg

oil draining, however... look around the oil sump plug area, its happened to this one too! and he has repaired it with something like petrolweld or alike. ive got petro-patch here, ill use that, and keep doing it all over night - im busy tomorow morning so overnight i can get this done

41902631722917165154110.jpg

Removed the heat shield.. as it was scrubbing just the smallest bit ever... but was doing my tits in, as want it to sound perfect! :(

40734131723982165047610.jpg

THEN, Doing my SAI blank, thought id get some clear pictures as it comes in handy for others wanting to do the same!

Locate the EGR under the Turbo intake pipe (TIP), clamp down the clip, so you can pull off the hose.

40548631780689826043510.jpg

Pull hose off

40583531780697492709410.jpg

Now you can acess your block, so remove the 2 screws on this plastic coolant pipe on the block.

42450431780724159373410.jpg

Now you can move that out the way... you can get to your EGR And remove 3 more long thread bolts.

41723231780739492705210.jpg

Prize it out, and unclip the bits of loom going to your coilpacks from the back of the EGR (may be fiddly!)

42127431780760492703110.jpg

This is the unit you'd have taken out, can bin it or sell it.

42952831780778492701310.jpg

Then you can put on your nice shiny new forge blanking plate! tighten it up, clean all the pipes for coolant to ensure a tight seal, then put everything back as you took it off! then it shouldnt throw up an SAI fault!

41757431780829492696210.jpg

I then put in a resistor in the following; N249 and N112 - i cut the plugs off, just twisted the wires round the resistors, as the plugs had 2 broken cables going into them plugs!, the SAI plug was massive, so i just squeezed it in with no bother.

I am now getting 0 EML Lights or faults coming up on the ECU. :)

I also wanted to show off my... new addition (thanks richy!.. he put his on his bonnet, and i was jelouse to be fair! so i traded a forge sticker for it! (you got bumped richy! haha! as i got another forge one the next day!) ill get pics from a distance later :) will be sticking my forge one on my boot, on the right hand corner of the lid.

40537631039932860291450.jpg

so... a little experimenting on my old dinky intercooler.. turns out with...

42087932040414133404410.jpg

Contemplating on weather doing it in blue on my big FMIC, oh... and you can note... its now sitting better instead of crooked like yer mam's teeth. its sitting .3" too far left, but thats cool... ill adjust it later.

41840832040644800048010.jpg

Also spoke to bill at Badger5 today, my rods are on their way :)

Also got an interview at Exvora - so hopefully money can start rolling in, and also one of my sisters clients has been trying to get in contact with me (loosing my number!) and my sister was in manchester, so going to speak to him tonight and hopefully come up with some work! :)

Last edited:

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008
also forgot... rolling road.. car was running underboost, nearly limp mode (just by .6psi more than limp mode!) made 6 bhp less than standard (148 BHP)

http://youtu.be/WvxlJyH8CKg

Its now running much better, and even showed richy its not as slow as he thought ;) john webster can confirm this :D then i broke my sump.

Last edited:

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008
FORGED RODS ARE HERE!!! :D :D :D :D

4x rods (obviously)
ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
Calico Race spec Bearings it seems the numbers on the box come back as.
ARP grease

And a shitload of IE decals! lol

42331732242932446485910.jpg

All thats left to buy is.. injectors, maf, port my manifold, get my sump, turbo, a set of coilys and a few little bits like spacers and a fuseboard for the fans, and thats me done and ready to get mapping!! :)

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008
Its been a rather long and tough road! car is now sitting idle because i broke my sump again.. so untill i can afford a shallow sump kit, its not going anywhere fast.. im unemployed too at the moment, so plumbing what i have left into it - which is a terrible idea actually when i think of it.

Im hoping by 14th of april it will be done as thats when the next rolling road meet is! and want to improve my power to my aim, i want 280 bhp+ and as much torque as possible it can push out!

Cammy

Nov 10, 2008
Right... thought id take some snaps after a wash... took it out for a spin (where i saw AdamRW, on my way back)

042kh.jpg

044gb.jpg

043aq.jpg

045gq.jpg

046gn.jpg

047xk.jpg

048pis.jpg

049ss.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.