Mk4 Ibiza 1.4, Comic Book headlining, DIY wheel refurb

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
I'm in the process of doing in now. It just takes patience (which I'm struggling with), and the rear grab handle recesses are a ball ache! Going to take my time but I will have pics up ASAP.

Also pre-facelift FR grills ordered from my local dealer, will be getting them tomorrow :p

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
It's in! :D Happy with the results. Will get a proper picture up tomorrow with the fr grills, I'm sure it will look better then. I still haven't tidied it up yet or fitted any of the interior again, that will require a second pair of hands so I will get that done tonight when my dads in from work.

I love it :D

Quick iPod picture of where I'm at:

007-1.jpg

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Car is looking good! :thumbup: Good base to start working from. Never saw one in this colour with the facelift bumper on it but it looks awesome!

The headlining looks awesome aswell, big respect from trying something different with it but you have pulled it off :D.

Any more plans?

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
That looks epic!!!!

Cheers, I'm pretty happy with it :D

Car is looking good! :thumbup: Good base to start working from. Never saw one in this colour with the facelift bumper on it but it looks awesome!

The headlining looks awesome aswell, big respect from trying something different with it but you have pulled it off :D.

Any more plans?

Thanks very much :) Plans are to lower it and pick a nice set of wheels. My current choice is a set of mirror polished Porsche Teledials:

SDC12310.jpg

However I change my mind regularly on the wheel front :p

Im going on holiday next week for a fortnight, work will start ASAP afterwards. Hopefully late June I'll get coilovers and start my wheel search. Finding a set of 16" Teledials in my price range is tough :p

Last edited:

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
That is absoultely wicked! Im in fact lost for words on how much of a quality mod this is! :clap: :worship:

The car is looking brilliant by the way! How much was your fly-eyes tint and where did you get it from?

Was roughly £25 + postage for enough to do the front back and side repeaters black and the fogs yellow. I over estimated how much I needed on the rear and have a bit left over and it was a bit more expensive as I bought 2 colours. It's great stuff though, really easy to do and completely MOT legal under the new rules.

http://www.flyeyeskit.co.uk

Last edited:

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
FR Grills and the badge now full black, my pre-holiday car is now finished:

003-2.jpg

Slight problem with the headlining. As I am a genious (read idiot)I didnt use heat resistant glue (didnt think it would be needed!) and parked in the sun when it's 25 degrees here it began to peel away in the middle. Im assuming the glue takes a bit to set fully and the heat didnt help. It stuck right back up and the car is in the cool garage. If that doesnt help i'll need to figure something out when I get back :p

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
Just back from my holiday. Was hoping to start work ASAP and get coilovers ordered this week. However even though I left myself a bit of a buffer to go over I think I may have over spent in Malia. Also a lot of money is going on my racing this month so I think I will have to wait.

Going to the bank just now hoping for good news! Until then the small jobs will restart.

In other news after leaving the head lining for a bit after my **** up with the glue hasn't seem to have helped. So it will be coming out and being re-done with a slightly different method and some heat-resistant glue. Its a bit of a pain in the arse due to the time it takes, but it's my own fault so I can't really complain :p

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
Small update. The headlining is out to be fixed, will do that when I get round to it. Sometime this week or next week.

behind where the plate was has been wrapped, the lower bumper will be done when the weather clears up again.

027.jpg

Also I have begun to re-furb my wheels and spray them a darker colour so I am rotating the spare for now :)

029.jpg

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
When re furbing my wheels do I need to sand the paint right off before I prime it or just get it to a smooth matte finish? I have is to a smooth matte but I dont know if I need to keep sanding!

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
First wheel painted, loving the new colour. Going to let it dry more thoroughly before more coats, see how even it is. Then lacquer at the weekend and back on the car monday. then wheel 2 :p
022-1.jpg

Last edited:

AddersHTID

May 18, 2012
Bristol
the alloys look good mate! were they damaged at all before you started? iv been thinking about doing mine for a while they are pretty scuffed up.

Adam

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
Not posted on here in a while! 3 of the 4 alloy wheels have been done, with the 4th being sanded, filled and primed tomorrow. I haven't had much time recently to do anything so there is no real progress.

The head lining is currently out of the car but will be re-done with proper glue as it was always falling in the heat. Get what you pay for I suppose!

I won't be making it to Edition or getting it lowered soon unfortunately. Tax runs out during edition and I'll need 2 new tyres in not very long, then an MOT and annual service in September. Also someone hit the car the other day so i need my front bumper re-sprayed and I think I'll just get my bonnet re-done at the same time as its stone chipped as hell. I've got the essential things to pay for before I can start enjoying the car again :/

After that it's lower it and leave it for a bit. A kind of "Phase 1" Have all the small things I'd like done, lowered on re-furbed wheels. Then begin "Phase 2" in January, better and lower coils and a nice set of wheels.

I am however attempting to get some backing and some funding together to go racing next year so a lot of my time and money will go into that and the Ibiza will take a back seat and be relegated to Race Team work horse.

I'll finish with a quick update of what I've done since the last update:

Small addition to the wheels:
018-1.jpg

Sprayed Engine cover:
001-4.jpg

and yellow fog bulbs to match the tints:
002-2.jpg

EDIT: And how could I forget, footwell lights:
007-2.jpg

that is them on fully bright and I do drive with them dimmed.

Last edited:

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
the alloys look good mate! were they damaged at all before you started? iv been thinking about doing mine for a while they are pretty scuffed up.

Adam

There were a few kerb marks, the outside lip was destroyed on one or 2 of them and a few paint bubbles but nothing major. Just fancied a change and to tidy up the wheels so went for it. Not really that hard and could be done really quickly with a full set of spares. It's a 3 day process for me once the wheel is off the rim.

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
Looks good mate I love the headlining being a big kid and suck for comics helps lol.

Just a question what's the time limit between lowering then going to coilovers cuz if it wasn't big I wouldn't bother just seems a waste of cash.

Mark_Karting

Mar 3, 2012
Near Glasgow, Scotland
Looks good mate I love the headlining being a big kid and suck for comics helps lol.

Just a question what's the time limit between lowering then going to coilovers cuz if it wasn't big I wouldn't bother just seems a waste of cash.

It's going to be coilovers i'm lowering on first time round. I have just read that back and it reads weird :p I have a mate with an Ibiza on JOM's, he was going to sell me them second hand just to lower the car a good amount until I can get a decent set and go a bit lower.

However if the JOM's are good enough I'd probably not change and put some more money into something else.

The time scale anyway is JOM's September and upgrade whenever the snow clears next January or a birthday present in February :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.