MkII Tdi Fr Frustrating Limp Mode Fault

Wee Jock

I'm having a problem with my seven month old Leon fr TDi. The car currently has 16700 miles on the clock.

About two months ago the diesel particulant light appeared on the dash. I believe that this occurs on cars doing lots of short journeys, coking up. I had been driving for two hours.:confused:. I immediately contacted the garage where we bought the car (hands free on the great intergrated bluetooth ofcourse). The dealer advised that I should be OK to continue driving, which I did...about twenty miles later the car went into limp mode.

At the side of the road I called the local SEAT garage who refused to look at it, I then called the AA (who didn't have the car registered..whole different story). Got AA attendance 2.5 hrs later. On the diag they read an exhaust sensor fault. The Limp Mode had cleared when I re-started the car and was able to complete the journey home (being followed by the AA for the first hour).

The next morning the engine management light was on. Straight to garage, who stated a new sensor (lambda) was required, ten days to get one. The dealer could not offer a courtesy car and refused to pay for a hire car for this period.

When I got the car back it operated fine for about three weeks. However last week, on the way up to Scotland, the car went into limp mode with no prior warning around three hours into the journey. As I was on the fast lane overtaking at the time and it was raining heavily it was quite dangerous. On the hard shoulder I switched the car off and waited for a couple of minutes and re-started it (no flashing pre-heat light). I drove for a further 6 miles and the same thing happened. I called Seat Assistance (the AA) who attended but could not see the fault on the diagnosis or replicate it on the car. I had to get relayed back to Cheltenham on the back of a breakdown lorry. The car went back to the garage for checks. Apparently they took it for a couple of drives but could not get the fault to occur. They gave me the car back with no resolution.

The car has been OK until today when three hours into another journey again in heavy rain, the limp mode came up again. Learning from experience I left the car running with the fault present in order for the attending AA person to actually see the fault, however the AA sent an associated garage, who had no diagnosis computer. He asked me to switch the car off, after I showed him the limp mode in effect (max. 2700rpm). This caused the fault to re-set without being monitored electronically. [:@]

I know that if I take it back to the garage, they will do sweet FA, unless they can re-create the fault. As they are unlikely to get an engineer to drive for 3hrs in the rain, I am at a loss to know what to do. I travel a lot for work and socially, and cannot have full confidence in the car. It has already caused major inconvenience.

The garage's attitude is really starting to grind my gears. Statements like "we don't know what the fault is, but it should be OK to drive", don't fill me with confidence.

Has anyone had a similar problem.

Sorry to go on sooooo long, but I thought it important to get all the details down.

Cheers Wee Jock

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Surely the fault should be registered on the ECU permanently for the dealer to see and clear? Id be really pissed off myself if I was in your shoes, hope you get it sorted..

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
Having troubles similiar like yours i understand your frustacion. Tell the dealer to look at all of engine wires on your car! tell them to check if there`s any wire making bad contact. You said the limp mode came on always in the rain. Check if the rear lights aren`t wet inside or the respective wires. Check the bulbs.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
You mention a flashing glow plug light. That's interesting. The glowplug light flashes when there's a problem with the brake lighting system, such as a bulb blown or a faulty pedal switch. It's possible that there's 2 faults (or have been) with your car. The first problem with the sensor has been resolved, and you now have a brake system fault. First thing is get someone to stand behind the car and check your brake lights are all functional.

Then here's something to try. Get yourself out on the open road, make ABSOLUTELY certain there's no one behind you, and cruise along in second or third gear. You don't have to be going fast, just 1800 - 2000 rpm. Then use your left foot to gently press the brake pedal while still holding speed with your right foot. What should happen is that within a couple of seconds the engine ecu will see that you've pressed the brake and will shut down fuelling to the injectors. It'll then run the engine at tickover to stop it stalling. When it does this the car will suddenly slow down, which is why you don't want anyone behind you.

This isn't limp mode, but might might be the problem you're experiencing. Also, it won't throw a fault code as it isn't actually experiencing a fault. It's something the car is designed to do as you're not supposed to brake and accelerate at the same time. If it feels the same as when you slowed in the fast lane then you might have a faulty brake pedal switch, or there might be water getting into the brake lights / wiring and shorting somehow.

t-"RACY"

Wee Jock I had exactly the same problem with my FR Tdi check this link for more details -; http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124362

Fortunately for me my car was rejected and I took delivery of a new FR Tdi, which touch wood has had no major problems to date other than the Bluetooth that keeps disconnecting/reconnecting which I'll get sorted soon.

Tracy

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I had a similar problem with poor running and the emmisions light on. It didn't go into a full "limp home" mode, but was running rough.

It was eventually traced to a yellow wire in the block connector at the front O/S of the engine bay (right behind the headlight). The pin was corroded and needed cleaning.

Worth a look!

MitraShark

Jul 6, 2006
I had a similar problem with poor running and the emmisions light on. It didn't go into a full "limp home" mode, but was running rough.

It was eventually traced to a yellow wire in the block connector at the front O/S of the engine bay (right behind the headlight). The pin was corroded and needed cleaning.

Worth a look!

Can you post a picture of wich wire you`re talking exactly?

thanks-

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
If your dealer cannot provide a car, SEAT wll give you a hire car FOC if you call customer services and explain the situation.

I would actually log this whole thing with customer services and then get them to contact the dealer.

fredbassett

had the same problem myself this weekend, dealer looked at it for 1.5 hours on monday mornin and has run fine since. They said they did a regen on the dpf and applied an update to the ECU. Mine happened after the DPF light came on, so went onto motorway and it went into limp after 10-15 mins at 70mph. I think this is quite a common problem with all manufacturers with DPF, but most seem to be fixed by an ECU update - fingers crossed!!

Wee Jock

Potential Fix

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions on the problems I've been experiencing with my FR. Just to let you know that the dealer has - following discussions with SEAT UK - replaced the throttle assy.

Here's hoping it has been sorted..;)

Thanks again....Wee Jock

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.