Mod advice

Chris232

May 7, 2015
Hello all, first time owner and first time poster here and have been thinking long and hard to myself and can't come to decisions on a few mods

FL FR Leon 2012 CR 170 is the car in question..

LED lights... c5w number plate light size? need to order a set of canbus free leds and the manual doesnt give the specs (any recommendations also before i buy off flebay)

interior courtesy lights size, specs e.t.c i fancy changing these to leds as well while im at it??

bought a set of 19" zito935s for her and wondering what you think for tyre size to put on to be reasonable for looks but also to save a little on comfort??? lol

lowering springs or coilovers, either sportlines or fk coilovers.. pros and cons?? and also 40mm,45mm,50mm drop??

Anyone ever bought anything from rdx on ebay (spoilers) the quality any good or should i bite the bullet and puit a cupra r spoiler on from sere

Thanks any comments or queries welcome

Chris

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Not sure on some of the questions but, LED number plate lights are a pain on the facelift Leons. Better off buying the whole unit with built in resistors.

I don't think you'll get much in terms of comfort with 19's unless you run a ridiculous high profile tyre.

Lowering - most people buy Eibach sportline or H&R springs. Eibach gives a nose down look compared to the H&R's which is more even.

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Here's a list of the bulbs I put in my 2012 car mate. Top two from HIDs Direct and the rest from eBay. I left my number plate lights as I've yet to read or hear from anyone who HASN'T had issue regardless of the bulbs that they have used. I only get an occasional bulb out warning from my sidelights which resets by turning my lights on and off again.

Side light bulbs - W5W (501) fitment - 5W CREE LEDs
DRL bulbs - 27SMD DRL 382's

Fog lights (HB4/9006 type) can't remember what type these were, I know that they are Phillips and are a good match for the headlights.

Sidelight = 501 T10 W5W WEDGE
Reg lights = 37mm festoon
vanity mirror lights = 37mm festoon x 2
middle mirror lights = 37mm festoon
middle reading lights = 501 T10 W5W WEDGE x 3
boot light = 42mm festoon
Rear centre lights = 37mm festoon x 2
Glove box = 501 T10 W5W wedge

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
That makes me nervous. I have just ordered a pair of led number plate bulbs from HIDs direct for my facelift car. Brand is twenty20. Hope they don't throw an error. They are supposed to be canbus? Set me back £15 so they are going back if they throw the light on!

Chris232

May 7, 2015
I was over today to get my 19s on and surprisingly the ride comfort has improved from the 18s, have 235-35-19 tyres on... i cant work it out either but hey hoo one of them things

@danielM where would i look into buying a full unit as stated. i tried some budget canbus bulbs out of the shop today and they put up the error, were in no way branded though so cant state what they where, WHat about fitting a resistor into the bulb holder personally? hard to work out the resistance needed?

thats interesting about the two types of springs, with a sports suspension already i was told i would get a 20mm drop on the front and 30mm on the rear with sportlines

let me know how u get on nigel...

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
That makes me nervous. I have just ordered a pair of led number plate bulbs from HIDs direct for my facelift car. Brand is twenty20. Hope they don't throw an error. They are supposed to be canbus? Set me back £15 so they are going back if they throw the light on!
Seems to be an issue with the later models, definitely from 2012 on, maybe earlier.

Chris232

May 7, 2015
Here's a list of the bulbs I put in my 2012 car mate. Top two from HIDs Direct and the rest from eBay. I left my number plate lights as I've yet to read or hear from anyone who HASN'T had issue regardless of the bulbs that they have used. I only get an occasional bulb out warning from my sidelights which resets by turning my lights on and off again.

Side light bulbs - W5W (501) fitment - 5W CREE LEDs
DRL bulbs - 27SMD DRL 382's

Fog lights (HB4/9006 type) can't remember what type these were, I know that they are Phillips and are a good match for the headlights.

Sidelight = 501 T10 W5W WEDGE
Reg lights = 37mm festoon
vanity mirror lights = 37mm festoon x 2
middle mirror lights = 37mm festoon
middle reading lights = 501 T10 W5W WEDGE x 3
boot light = 42mm festoon
Rear centre lights = 37mm festoon x 2
Glove box = 501 T10 W5W wedge

Thanks a million, no problems with interior lights e.t.c then.. i have just ordinary led sidelight bulbs in at the moment from a previous car.. can work with one error but dont want half a dozen flicking up

just stuck some halfords bulbs in the fogs as i had them lying around but apart from that i have not touched a thing, really only wanted the number plate bulbs changing but might be a challenge by the sounds of it

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
No problem with the interior bulbs mate, it's just the outsides that can throw errors. No real issue with any of mine, like I said an occasional sidelight error which is a quick on and off with the headlights and it goes. Number plate lights...that's another thing!

Chris232

May 7, 2015
No problem with the interior bulbs mate, it's just the outsides that can throw errors. No real issue with any of mine, like I said an occasional sidelight error which is a quick on and off with the headlights and it goes. Number plate lights...that's another thing!

is this using canbus leds for the interior as well, or can you get away with the norm? have a thought of putting the rear courtesy lights in red but cant seem to get red canbus leds really only blue and white

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
I was over today to get my 19s on and surprisingly the ride comfort has improved from the 18s, have 235-35-19 tyres on... i cant work it out either but hey hoo one of them things

@danielM where would i look into buying a full unit as stated. i tried some budget canbus bulbs out of the shop today and they put up the error, were in no way branded though so cant state what they where, WHat about fitting a resistor into the bulb holder personally? hard to work out the resistance needed?

thats interesting about the two types of springs, with a sports suspension already i was told i would get a 20mm drop on the front and 30mm on the rear with sportlines

let me know how u get on nigel...

Number plate lights here

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=310907959322

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
is this using canbus leds for the interior as well, or can you get away with the norm? have a thought of putting the rear courtesy lights in red but cant seem to get red canbus leds really only blue and white

No, my interior ones are just standard LED's. I thought I read on here that only the exterior bulbs throw errors, interior ones don't cause any issues.

Chris232

May 7, 2015
No, my interior ones are just standard LED's. I thought I read on here that only the exterior bulbs throw errors, interior ones don't cause any issues.

read that regarding an exeo but wasn't sure about the Leon, bought 4 can-bus ones anyway as a set from partsulike. going to order 2 standard reds now out of interest. pity there wasn't foot well lighting would love to have them glowing red but beggars cant be choosers

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
The interior lights aren't connected to the "bulb out" warning circuit so you don't need CAN BUS error free ones. Probably because you can easily see if any interior ones have gone so pointless including them on the bulb check circuitry.

Chris232

May 7, 2015
The interior lights aren't connected to the "bulb out" warning circuit so you don't need CAN BUS error free ones. Probably because you can easily see if any interior ones have gone so pointless including them on the bulb check circuitry.

yeah all ordered up now. just number plates and sidelights now if i could bring myself to click the buy-it-now button

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I stumbled across something interesting the other day regarding LED number plate bulbs when I had my car hooked up to VCDS. I'll post up a screenshot when I'm back at my computer.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
So this is what I found while looking through the VCDS coding options for my BCM the other day. I would be willing to put a few quid on the table that this setting probably allows for the fitting of LED number plate bulbs without triggering the bulb warning lamp in the instrument cluster.

I don't have LED number plate bulbs fitted to my car (yet) so unfortunately I can't test out the theory just now.

11impv4.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise