Modifications... Leon Cupra TDI

d_cook88

zιℓ∂נιαη - ρℓαу ωιтн ƒιяє
Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Hey guys,

Just wondering if theres any good mods for a leon TDI Cupra, i allready have a remap and uprated clutch, a new turbo seems a bit pricey for me at the moment but im wonderin if theres anything else that can be changed/modified that gives good gains for good price?

Cheers all, Dave

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Where did you get you remap done mate to give those figures? its looking pretty good :) as for mods on tdi i would have thought your as far as can go in terms of not spending loads, maybe decent suspension maybe 312mm brake upgrade something along those lines to harness the power u already have for cornering etc...

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
I got it done from a guy called jamie, he has done a few cars on here he can give a suttle or aggressive map, i chose the aggressive which had my clutch slipping...instantly! However i chose to kep it that high and just get an uprated clutch....good stuff, i think it cost around £250 for the remap and the clutch was best part of £1k including fitting, release baring and flywheel!

I may yet consider turbo upgrade if i can find one at a good price if anyone knows anywhere? I have been led to believe that these engines could take up to 250hp because they have strenghthened bottom ends or somthing? Can anyone confirm that....and has anyone had a bigger turbo put in and got good results off it? i.e. not needed to strengthen or replace any parts as a result?

was225

Just keep a eye on that camshaft once worn it will damage the tappets and force the valve to stay open and then end result cracked piston like i had :-(

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Owch....what mods you got? What you runnin at? I had a new timing belt about 20k ago, my fan belt has just gone on me though so not much charging is going on atm! not that that is expensive or a time consuming job to fix! Just anoying becuase power steering took a hit as well as it drives the pump!

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Dave
Jamie's number is 07967377453.
A word of warning.
Keep your money as you may soon need the turbo upgrade. Your car has similar mileage to mine and my turbo failed at 133k. I had the agressive map from Jamie. Nothing wrong with it at all its just the Garret 1749v is known to suffer from shaft failure, especially when its boosting at much higher pressures than normal.
In all I paid £580 for a hybrid turbo
£150 fitting inc oil change
£500 for a jabba map to drive the hybrid.
I was sensible on the power output but have 350lbft and all seems well after 10k
Not trying to worry you here Derek, your turbo may go on for a lot longer yet.
Mine actually failed after pulling out of a junction when I reached 20mph:doh:
Glynn

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
in ur sig , u dont mention air filters, decat & system frees up a few more horses

not sure what to do , a bloke down my way has offered a remap for £150 sounds cheap compared to others further afield

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Dave
Jamie's number is 07967377453.
A word of warning.
Keep your money as you may soon need the turbo upgrade. Your car has similar mileage to mine and my turbo failed at 133k. I had the agressive map from Jamie. Nothing wrong with it at all its just the Garret 1749v is known to suffer from shaft failure, especially when its boosting at much higher pressures than normal.
In all I paid £580 for a hybrid turbo
£150 fitting inc oil change
£500 for a jabba map to drive the hybrid.
I was sensible on the power output but have 350lbft and all seems well after 10k
Not trying to worry you here Derek, your turbo may go on for a lot longer yet.
Mine actually failed after pulling out of a junction when I reached 20mph:doh:
Glynn

Thats cool as, where did you get the turbo from? Is the oil change just engine oil or does it use a sepperate stuff? Did you need a custom remap or is jamies fine? Thats the only thing i dont quite get about changing turbo...wont is still boost at 1.7bar no matter which turbo it is?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
Just wondering if theres any good mods for a leon TDI Cupra, i allready have a remap and uprated clutch, a new turbo seems a bit pricey for me at the moment but im wonderin if theres anything else that can be changed/modified that gives good gains for good price?

In your signature, you say "Wanting: Suspension upgrade, 17'' Alloys, induction kit, miltek....for now"

You might as well start thinking about the suspension upgrades now... You've got some good power numbers, now make sure that power meets the road.

TDI power mods start out relatively cheap, but each incremental improvement costs more and more. And as has been mentioned, there might be a reduction in reliability -- maybe you should start putting money aside for when something breaks.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Thats cool as, where did you get the turbo from? Is the oil change just engine oil or does it use a sepperate stuff? Did you need a custom remap or is jamies fine? Thats the only thing i dont quite get about changing turbo...wont is still boost at 1.7bar no matter which turbo it is?

Just use normal oil but its absolutely neccesary to change the oil when fitting a new turbo.
It depends on what turbo spec you buy as to wether Jamie's map will run it properly. My compressor wheel on the turbo technics unit is sufficiently bigger to require the custom map. I drove the car for a month before the cutom map. It still produced 190hp but smoked black below 2500 rpm. Mine now peaks at 2.2 bar and settles to 1.9. I must now have more than 207hp as I have replaced the maf and the thermostat and the leon goes better than it did so hopefully it now has somewhere around 220 and 360. Getting my decat next month and another power graph to see what I have. Watch this space!
Glynn

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Just use normal oil but its absolutely neccesary to change the oil when fitting a new turbo.
It depends on what turbo spec you buy as to wether Jamie's map will run it properly. My compressor wheel on the turbo technics unit is sufficiently bigger to require the custom map. I drove the car for a month before the cutom map. It still produced 190hp but smoked black below 2500 rpm. Mine now peaks at 2.2 bar and settles to 1.9. I must now have more than 207hp as I have replaced the maf and the thermostat and the leon goes better than it did so hopefully it now has somewhere around 220 and 360. Getting my decat next month and another power graph to see what I have. Watch this space!
Glynn

What will your clutch take up to in torque? I got a sach's one and im sure they said limited to 360lb/ft? Sorry for asking you again about where you got your turbo from! Somehow i have been unsuscribed from thread and didnt realise you had wrote back!

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Oh yeah Glynnd....what is your 0-60 time now or 1/4 mile time if u done either? I was thinking about taking my car down to Pod with a load of mates in April, they on about going to some ford thing or somit...thought id brighten it up and take along a seat :D although it will probs be full of cossys an stuff but oh well! Haha

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Derek
When I have tried and thats not too often, I have managed 0 to 65 on the speedo in 6.7 once. I can always get 7.0/7.1 but its hard to get the traction right, plenty of wheelspin!
A far better measure of the performance on offer is to try 30 to 70 on the speedo where I can get sub 6 seconds every time and have on a couple of occassions got 5.6. 60 to 100 in fourth takes 9 sconds and 30 to 50 in third 3.1.
Have not tried standing quarter as have not been anywhere near a strip!
I believe these are comparable figures to other members running around 220hp
I got my hrbtid from Turbo technics(£569 exchange) and anybody wanting to charge £500 fitting is off their head at that, more like £150/£200 tops. If you got down this route a word of advice, dont go balls out on the torque as even at 350lbft and reasonable daily driving my dmf is now requiring replacement again! This one has managed 40k.
MY sachs clutch is quoted at 440lbft and it came from Competition Braking Products 01748 831200 speak to Paul (£442.37)
Glynn

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Dogbone mount upgrade (very cheap), ARB's and 312mm brakes. An exhaust for a bit more unnoticable power if that's where you're looking.

If you were going to go the hybrid route I would definately recommend uprating your brakes (the 312's would be the minimum I reckon for this), suspension and hoses first.

d_cook88

Aug 28, 2007
Preston
Ahh good stuff, i have e.mailed that turbo technics, i assume you were talking me me when u say derek? My names dave anyways! Where did you get all your hosing from? Is there kits or do you need to just get each pipe individually?

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Sorry Dave! but yes I was.
Dont need any new hosing as the existing turbo outlet hose can be stretched a little to fit the new compressor outlet
Glynn

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You can do following

1) Panel filter or Cold Air Induction kit
2) Short shifter
3) Suspension
4) ARBs (i would do this instead of suspension as it makes most difference)
5) Dogbone mount
6) Bushes all round
7) Strut braces
8) Dump red stuff pads - horrible pad, ruin your discs. Get DS2500's. Do the 312mm upgrade as a priority. Upgrade your rears to 256mm LCR setup.

I would do the above before you even think about going big turbo.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.