Moisture in front headlamp

ChrisMansell

Sep 4, 2008
I had this on my old megane headlights (aftermarket angel eyes) I just took the back covers off and didn't have any after that. I wouldn't bother taking any car that has this problem back to a dealer if the easiest solution is just take the cover off (or drill holes in it)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I changed my bulbs and left the cover off. It rained and when i put the cover back on i got condensation inside. I took the cover back off and ran it with the lights on for a good half hour or so. Allowed the lights to cool and on a dry day put the cover back on.

It hasn't returned since and I clean it at work with a high pressure jet wash. This may or may not solve your problem but must be worth a try.

Ermmmm, before reading this reply I had a thought - I'd had the indicator bulbs out to check the condition of the orange laquer - anyway, as I said, I took a quick look under the bonnet and noticed that the cover for this area was fitted at an angle - enough said - I'm a muppet!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi

I have a similar problem, i have condensation in the drivers side repeater. I have no idea how these come off to attempt to fix, any ideas?

Thanks

If they are the later VAG standard rectangular ones, you can remove them by sliding them to one end - but I don't know how you know for sure which direction to slide them. Anyway, they are designed with a fixed lug at one end and a sprung lug at the other end, how you remove them is to slide the assembly towards the sprung lug and compress it, while it is held in this position ease the other end out - and that's it removed. I'd reckon you will need to run some sealant all round the joint between the lens and the bulb holder bit. One of my Passat B5 is getting a bit grenish so needed this work to be done a long time ago! If you don't like to mess around on the paint side of the car, just take the road wheel off, remove some wheel liner fixings and drop it down a bit and reach up and manipulate it from the rear.

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
I'm having this problem at the moment, its getiting bad now, washed the car today, and the drivers side was noticably duller than the passenger side when driving!

Where do I need to drill this hole???

Jordan

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Took the car in Monday to get it checked out. I had taken a photo of the Head Lamp with the condensation in so they could clearly see, when I mentioned this to the lady on reception she was no surprised until I mentioned it was on a Leon, aparently Ibiza's have a known problem with this.

Anyway but a long story short they are replacing the head lamp unit to cure this.

So DON'T drill a hole in the unit, take it to the dealers along with a photo to prove this is happening. I will keep you up to date to see if the new unit fixes this.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Mine is out of warranty & the N/S headlight suffers from bad condensation.

I found a top tip to get rid of it:-

Tape 2 or 3 packets of dessicant silica gel (the little packets you find in show boxes) to the inside of the headlight cover or on top of the motor. Make sure the packets ar dry first (I put mine in an oven on low heat for a few hours), & they will soak up any moisture in the headlight.
Within a few days the condensation had gone!! :)

andycupra

status subject to change
common fault, not with just seats, but most makes are affected.
it could be a leak in the headlight, or i have found that in 99% of cases its simply a lack of air circulation. you can get rid of the condensation by leaving the back of the headlight assembly off for a while.

It usually happens after washing the car as the air is saturated, (humidity) and that you cool the surface of the headlight. Colder air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. When the air is cooled by a cold surface, say a headlight thats had cold water over it, or your bathroom mirror etc then air cools and if it passes it dew point ( point at which its temperature is too low to maintain the moisture level then it condenses on the surface.
So its very common to happen when washing a car.

Solutions?
1 would be to have sealed head light units, - unfortunately this is not easily achievable - for example if its 100% sealed how do you change a bulb! and also if it was sealed then it would need to be sealed in low humidy levels. If it did get consensation, then it would be difficult to remove.
2 increase air circulation.- eg remove back of headlight and leave off for a while to get good air circulation. (id recommend you do this when the weather is dry).

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Mine do this and the dealer said this is normal and not a warranty issue. They even had a notice on the reception desk saying that it was normal.

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
Just to update you all on mine, I took the rear cover off last night and had the hair dryer on for about 5mins, then left the back cover off over night, the condensation has gone, BUT it's left water marks on the inside of the lense and it looks pants! I can live with it tho!

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Just to update you all on mine, I took the rear cover off last night and had the hair dryer on for about 5mins, then left the back cover off over night, the condensation has gone, BUT it's left water marks on the inside of the lense and it looks pants! I can live with it tho!

Is it under warranty? If so , why bother??? Take pics of it when its bad and there is every chance SEAT will sort it.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
My nearside front light has condensation in it. Went to the dealers today and they said Seat won,t replace under warranty:shrug: The car is 14 months old and to say i,m not pleased is an understatement [:@].

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
My nearside front light has condensation in it. Went to the dealers today and they said Seat won,t replace under warranty:shrug: The car is 14 months old and to say i,m not pleased is an understatement [:@].

take pics of it showing bad moisture on a dry day and get the dealer to forward a DISS report to the warranty dept attaching the pic.
then phone customer services if the answer is still no 0500 222222
thats how i got mine replaced

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
This pic should do fine then, thanks

Photo0529.jpg

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
it has to be the sealant surely as i only ever get it on one side. I tried adding some gel packs that remove the moistre from shoe boxes - no good. some small holes at the bottom of the headlight cover work quite well and if you do it on the bottom piece it isnt even visible. However still mists up now and again(not half as bas as it was) and the easiest thing to do is to remove the rear cover and drive it letting the warmth of the engine and air flow demist.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
it has to be the sealant surely as i only ever get it on one side. I tried adding some gel packs that remove the moistre from shoe boxes - no good. some small holes at the bottom of the headlight cover work quite well and if you do it on the bottom piece it isnt even visible. However still mists up now and again(not half as bas as it was) and the easiest thing to do is to remove the rear cover and drive it letting the warmth of the engine and air flow demist.

so driving it without the cover on to dry it out should be ok ( obviousley not in the rain)

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Off topic slightly, but when ever i wash my car i get bubbles from the shampoo in my backlights, also the odd fly, anybody else get this?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
left my covers off this evening but i wouldnt remove them if the tarmac was damp/wet and the engine bay was filthy as the dust/engine bay crap with move around

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members