More help needed

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Hi people i've been reading through some of the old posts on the forum and came across turbo chatter. I understand this is bad for the turbo so i was wondering how i stop it. My car has done it since i have had it. When you accelerate and let off it chatters through the airbox. Is this normal??

Also last night it was not picking up speed hardly at all in third but was fine in second, this has baffled me.

I have also noticed there looks to be oil around the back of the engine (top of g/box).
I am a complete noob to turbo cars but have basic engine knowledge.

Car is a 2001 1.8 20vt (180)

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
Its all standard at the moment. Looks like the previous owner has had a fiddle about, the airbox does not have the pipe leading into it for the air feed. The airbox hose after the filter is only cable tied on....

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Well a jubilee will help with that and the missing pipe is a good excuse to put a larger air feed into the box.

As for the DV, I'm not sure there is any way of testing the standard Bosch valve....good excuse to replace that to tho :D

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
lol will look into the forge 007p one then as that seems to be the favourite on here.
Don't suppose you know what would cause the slow acceleration during third, Yet second was fine. So i am baffled!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Umm pass...

Maybe the MAF sensor is on its last legs?

The TIP being cable tied to the MAF prob won't help much, neither will a knackered DV.

I'd check obvious things first like split pipes, plugs etc.

Graham89

Feb 21, 2010
Chelmsford, Essex
I've checked the hoses and i can't see any splits or cracks in them. Just wondering if it is actually turbo chatter....You can hear a hissing/whooshing noise as you build up the boost through the revs then release the throttle and it makes a choo choo choo noise lol but fast. Exactly how i thought chatter sounds. I just hope its not killing my turbo.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Adam what the hell is that turbo chatter noise on the pikes peak climb video? that is the strangest chatter I think I've ever heard? something to do with anti-lag at a guess??

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Adam what the hell is that turbo chatter noise on the pikes peak climb video? that is the strangest chatter I think I've ever heard? something to do with anti-lag at a guess??

I have no idea, my mates Fiat Coupe sounded like that with lots of boost and a large foam filter :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise