MOT Emissions - Just Passed / How to fix

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey guys.

Another post from me. Recently bought a 1.2 TSI 2012 Seat Ibiza. 65k miles on the clock

It recently had its MOT about a week b4 I bought it, it passed with no advisories, but it just passed the natural idle test. Results were as follows:

CO: Max limit: 0.300 / Actual Value: 0.296

(Please see pic attached of full MOT emissions sections).

My question is this was clearly close and want to know for next year how I can get this number back down?

2d6b1d482d9606d9e44456fc44d7cf2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Just an idea... was thr engine cold?

Maybe take a trip pushing the car for 10 minutes before?

It could help, idk...

Reactions: everson38

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Italian tune up.

Round here that would be the Humber Bridge link road. 10 miles each way flat out.

Sorted my Fiat JTD out.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Shouldn't need a thrashing unless it's got a sports cat or the stock one is falling apart.

A full service and maybe replacing the lambda sensor would be a good place to start.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, exactly, the MOT tester would not have started the test until the engine was up to temperature, though the engine coolant temperature sensor might be giving out duff values, maybe get the car scanned for logged faults as well as making sure that it has been serviced in accordance with SEAT's recommendations, and that at this age should have included air filter, and possibly spark plugs - though these early engines used Iridium plugs so maybe longer service life, correct oil and filter.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Yes, exactly, the MOT tester would not have started the test until the engine was up to temperature, though the engine coolant temperature sensor might be giving out duff values, maybe get the car scanned for logged faults as well as making sure that it has been serviced in accordance with SEAT's recommendations, and that at this age should have included air filter, and possibly spark plugs - though these early engines used Iridium plugs so maybe longer service life, correct oil and filter.

Supposedly from the service log book where you get a stamp. Plug / air filter / and oil and filter were done but you never really know. I plan to do oil and filter and air filter again to be safe. I'm going to do some motorway driving , change to a premium fuel and maybe try some cat cleaner. U scanned the car but no DTC were found but mine is a very basic scanner.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013

how do they know the engine is up to temperature?
the car doesn't have the temperature in the dash.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
ok, but that is your responsibility, not the people doing the test
That's my point though I didn't own the car it was previous owner who took it for MOT I've just seen it now and trying to get on front of it for next year

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The UK yearly test for cars etc, ie the MOT, has various preconditions laid down, and it is the MOT tester's responsibility to make sure that the car he/she is testing is ready temperature wise to be tested. Typically in the UK cars get handed into an MOT test station at maybe before 08:00 in the morning and the owner has no idea or control over when the car is actually tested, so there is, or used to be, a field in the test certificate where the tester has to confirm that the car engine is up to temperature, and normally it is accepted that if the cooling fan is running, then the coolant is up to normal working temperature.

Reactions: Bedlam

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd have to check... but doesn't high CO indicate it's running rich? Although I would assume high means over the 0.300.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My last posting was just to point out that in the UK the owner has no responsibility over making the engine is fully warmed up when presented to an MOT test station - no more than that.

Deleted member 103408

Although there are a lot of people who have sports cats who say they have to get the CAT hot before going in for MOT, But I agree with @RUM4MO you might deliver it in one state but there is no guarantee it will be tested at that time.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Although there are a lot of people who have sports cats who say they have to get the CAT hot before going in for MOT, But I agree with @RUM4MO you might deliver it in one state but there is no guarantee it will be tested at that time.

I've got a full Milltek with 200 cell cat. It always fails the first emissions test even from brand new. The garage literally rag it round the block and then shove the exhaust tester up it. And it's still touch n go. But... it's a peformance orientated garage and they understand that the Milltek cat is a bit tempremental. Plus, they sold it me and fitted it, I'd have been well annoyed if 5 months later they'd failed it on the MOT.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So according to my test results. Natural idle I got 0.277. Fast idle. First time I got 0.43 (fail). Second time I got 0.300 (scrape). Woo!

Also. It says the engine oil temperature must be above 80 degrees (mine was 87). So I assume that's how generally an MOT determines your car's up to temperature.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The UK yearly test for cars etc, ie the MOT, has various preconditions laid down, and it is the MOT tester's responsibility to make sure that the car he/she is testing is ready temperature wise to be tested. Typically in the UK cars get handed into an MOT test station at maybe before 08:00 in the morning and the owner has no idea or control over when the car is actually tested, so there is, or used to be, a field in the test certificate where the tester has to confirm that the car engine is up to temperature, and normally it is accepted that if the cooling fan is running, then the coolant is up to normal working temperature.

ok then, here we go there and the "MOT" is made in the moment, we even have to do things like accelerating the engine to 3000rpm, turning the lights, etc... and braking and turning the steering wheel while the technician checks underneath the car.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Nope totally different here, we hand them the keys and walk off. They test it when they feel like it and call us when it's passed or failed.

You probably could hang around the MOT bay when the test is being done, but it'd only annoy the tester.

Reactions: dm222
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.