Mot fail aaarrgh!!

cueball1978

Hi there

just got my car back from the mot and it failed on ''nearside/offside macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment'', they want £120 to fix it, does anyone know if this is a simple job to diy, or is does this price sound fair??

I'd like try and do it myself as its xmas and all!!!

Hope someone can give me some ideas thanks

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
like T108 said, but thing is EVERY mk2 has play in these? i've never seen one that hasn't!

all it is use either
a) air gun to take the nut off, and put new top mount on
b) use them deep spanners and an allen-key (to hold the strut, otherwise it'll just spin)

quite easy tbh

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Like Suj, i too thought this was a standard mk2 trait. Ive had the same warning every mot for the last 4 years but they never failed me for it.

woody1986

mad as a box of frogs
Oct 21, 2008
Derbyshire
is it the same garage you have been going too or a different one? as mine went to a different garage and it failed on indicator bulb colour, even though it hadnt been changed since the last mot at a different garage!!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
failed on indicator bulb colour, even though it hadnt been changed since the last mot at a different garage!!

if they are in use due to the rapid heat they do dry out, colour cracks and fade to a white mind ;)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
mine failed two years running on top mounts.first year I had them changed, the last time I asked for a second opinion and they passed.. last year, a bulb was showing white instead of orange (I bought a new one on the way home) god only knows what'll happen this year

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
got same advisory today, 'n/s top mount excessive play', other than than both headlights set too high, passed :)
got a feeling headlights was the adjuster on the dash though:rolleyes:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
really hope mine passes this year, just for one more year, then I'll gladly pass it up if it fails next year..
already been buying things for it , and have plans for it for this year

Josh m

i just got my mot with an advisory saying there was play but doesnt make much difference tbh

samc

Jan 18, 2010
sorry to bring an old thread up, but if i jack my car up the suspension drops best part of an inch lol is that the norm? when the weights back on it the top mount goes where it should but the cup on the very top(in the engine bay) sits no where near the turret or what ever its called, i can take a pic of noone knows what im on about lol

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
sorry to bring an old thread up, but if i jack my car up the suspension drops best part of an inch lol is that the norm? when the weights back on it the top mount goes where it should but the cup on the very top(in the engine bay) sits no where near the turret or what ever its called, i can take a pic of noone knows what im on about lol

i think i know what your on about

does the top mount not touch the chassis when car is on the floor?
if so then you need to take the suspension strut off, compress springs, and make sure the nut on the top is all the way tight, as i have seen a few that were not done all the way up, so the strut wasn't allowing the top mount to go lower if that makes sense?

samc

Jan 18, 2010
yep spot on but already tried it and it was tight :( just a poor design i guess