MPG Question

Tell

Staff member
Bumper to bumper down here which is where DSG comes into it own since you don't want to keep changing gears in slow crawls etc but I never see an open road except very early in the morning or very late at night 50 miles outside London.

dave.caz

Hi,

I was searching for MPG posts because I've got a new-to-me Leon MKI 1.4 16V (well it's my wifes) and just recorded 34mpg (400 miles from the first tank) and was wondering how that compared with other peoples experiences of the 1.4 engine?
As for the TDi debate to add my stats, my car is a 1.9 TDi (110PS) Passat and I get 56-58mpg (680 miles from 55l), it's well run in at 280,000 miles!! Loads more life left!! This is the non PD engine, I think the PD engines return a lower MPG but you do get more power.

Tell

Staff member
& may it continue :).... I think one needs a PUG engine with the DSG and the Altea. VW diesels aren't the best and that is what a Seat engineer said to a Diesel Car person when they first reviewed the Altea. Still can't have everything.

psjb

Does anyone find the same as me ? I can do about 300 miles from full to half, but struggle to get 200 from half to the light coming on.

Mines a 2.0 TDI sport .

Phill

jtmac

Does anyone find the same as me ? I can do about 300 miles from full to half, but struggle to get 200 from half to the light coming on.

Mines a 2.0 TDI sport .

Phill

I think this is true of most cars. My thoughts on why this happens is: A full tank is more full than the fuel gauge shows as full - so you get 50 to 100 miles before you are down to full; and no-one dares get the last 20 miles out of the tank before it's empty.

Tell

Staff member
Think your into nasty bleeding of air out of diesel engine pipe work if you empty the tank, so it's not good to get to the empty stage else you have a problem. Least that was what the rubber ball was for in my old Citreon to bleed the air back out. Expect the PD engine is similar.

The most I've ever put in mine is 56.49 litres looking at my extensive notes. I'll let someone else say how much that was in proportional terms, the manual is in the car :).

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
i have just had a run over the tops from Manchester to Nottingham in the Altea, and my MPG was about 37. This may be my problem being 21 with brick under my right foot, but i don't think i am that bad.
I use cruise allot, especially when i know there are speed cameras about etc etc.
I am very disappointed with my MPG!
After watching that video that another member posted i am going to reset the computer tonight and drive for a week in their style and see if it makes any difference!
Watch this space!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its a 2.0 TDi Sport, 2005 with 30k on the clock (30k service 300 miles ago)

jtmac

Tell,

if I rememeber my manual right that is 102.7% of the 55 litre tank - unless the 2 litre has a bigger one than the 1.9. I'm not advocating running the car dry. Just the opposite. I thought I had been running on luck & fumes when the gauge was looking like empty and 54.37 litres went in before it clicked off. Are you venting and filling the expansion tank too? or was all the 56.49 in the main tank?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
there doesnt seem to be aventing mechanism on the alteas or toledos. I have searched for a venting button but not found any. Just wait for the fuel to appear at the top of the filler (i do make a good 20 mile trip directly afer though, so bikers dont worry, not setting booby traps for you!). have gotten around 57/8 litres in before. depends how empty it is.

sosidge

Jun 5, 2004
I'm finding that my 1.6 petrol XL can go down to 25mpg if driven at speed on the motorway with a load! This is not good with the current petrol price.

Driving smooth and within speed limits I can get about 35mpg. Best I ever averaged on a medium round trip was 37mpg.

Official combined cycle figure is about 35 I think.

tuftylfc

my 1.9 tdi with 12,000 miles averages late forties, can do early fifties if I'm careful

had a remap done a couple of weeks ago so admit is harder to be sensible these days :D

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Mileage is the key here. My Toledo 110 TDI (non PD) when I got it at 53k was only averaging around 46mpg (calculated) driving with cruise etc and on multiple road types. Now at 87k I have averaged over the last 7k miles 52.06mpg and my best being 55.xxmpg or 655mpg.

The 1.9TDI of current is PD but the 2.0 is Common Rail IIRC.

My better halves Furby vRS is only at 50k and does 50ish on long journeys but I expect that to increase as time goes on.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Averaging 44-46 on daily commuting run in an '06 Toledo 1.9tdi (105 hp, not remapped).
Can push that to about 52 mpg max on a long run holding to the 100kph / 62 mph limit. About 30,000 miles on the clock now. Much harder on diesel than I expected - older Golf and Leon diesels I had averged 48 - 53 on the same run, but the newer Toledo is bigger and heavier I suppose (amd strangled by emissions controls, ie PD engine)

Andrews

My 2.0tdi Sport Altea averages 43mpg. Whilst some might think it is good, it s only about 8 more than a good petrol engine.

I had a Skoda Superb 1.9tdi 130 before and althougha much bigger car, was retruning at least 50mpg each time, sometimes 55mpg+.

Whats gutting is the fact that when I fill the Alea it costs about £50-£55, the same as the Skoda. The skoda had bigger tank too which meant that for the same cash (at lower Diesel prices a few months ago), I could do 600 miles in the Skoda but 500 if I am lucky in the Seat!

Sure, the Seat is quicker and punchier, but not by a huge amount. I miss the space in the Skoda though. An impressive car really - more leg room than an S-Class, a huge boot, lots of kit and 50+mpg........

loadswine

loadswine
I'm lucky to get 300 miles between full and around a quarter tank, which is when i fill up.
My lowest MPG is around 27! I don't drive that sympathetically though and do lots of stop start and very short journeys. DSG box and 17s probably don't help, oh, and the remap, but boy, is it fun!

loadswine

loadswine
I've experienced standard, a Dragon tuning box and a remap by Celtic. Consumption is certainly no worse with either of the enhancements and if you take things very easy you will see a slight improvement in MPG with the remap as opposed to standard.
I rarely find myself taking things very easy though.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I've experienced standard, a Dragon tuning box and a remap by Celtic. Consumption is certainly no worse with either of the enhancements and if you take things very easy you will see a slight improvement in MPG with the remap as opposed to standard.
I rarely find myself taking things very easy though.

Thanks Loadswine Excellent news, Cant wait to have it mapped!i also have a weekend toy like yourself! A 300 bhp 200sx so like my right foot antics :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.