MPG Question

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Very nice toy indeed mate, may even catch up with you at a meet somewhere, as I go to one or two.
You'll enjoy the remapped version, very smooth power delivery i've found. It just completes the car for me.

Yep,will try too some meets!
Thanks for the advice! I find the car fairly quick now,but theres not much go in 5th or 6th gear!:)

Johnsie

Supporting Gordon

1.9 TDi Altea XL - 2,200 miles since new.

I can limit Gordon's profits by driving carefully and getting around 50mpg on urban commute of 13 miles from cold.

The last 700 miles of mixed urban and rural roads (Norfolk) has averaged 46 on the trip computer.

Not sure how much i'll use on my late night dash next weekend from Norwich to Bournemouth.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Well in my 2.0tdi (140) Altea XL, I am averaging about 38mpg on my urban commute which is quite disappointing.

On Mon night I filled the tank and then immediately took my parents-in-law to the airport. This was a 42 mile return trip at 10pm and I set the cruise control at 60mph (GPS speed) for the whole return journey, only stopping to literally drop them off at the airport and rejoining motorway (Glasgow airport)

For that complete trip I averaged 44.3 on the trip computer which I felt was utterly shocking. Really really disappointed. Especially since the computer usually gives a better reading than actual (compared with brim to brim fills)

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
bobby presumably you haven't dome muc milage yet?
VAG engines need 10Ks of miles to loosen up to their full potential in mpg and power.
They used to say that the old 16V in the Mk2 golf gti needed 50k before it was properly run in.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Just not long after its 10k mile service.
I have heard these stories about diesels not getting better till well run in, but if thats the case whats the point in getting diesel instead of petrol if for the first year or whatever its not going to be any better?

Tell

Staff member
Call me old but you get a diesel since it's better than a petrol engine. It starts in cold weather, it doesn't kick back at you and stop when cold etc etc.

These people that post up "oh I don't buy a diesel since I won't do the miles" is a lame excuse since you buy diesel since it's better than petrol you don't buy it on economy, least I don't. I'll never do back to petrol myself.

loadswine

loadswine
I bought my diesel, because it was the best engine available at the time on the Altea with the DSG box, at least as far as real world driving was concerned.
If I was going out to buy tomorrow, I'd either get the same 140 TDi again or the 200bhp TFSi, both remapped of course!
If I needed economy, then the 1.9 TDi seems to do that job best.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I did a 290 mile round trip on M1 this weekend mostly 80mph (sat nav speed) in cruise, averaged 67mph and 38 mpg on trip computer. Not sure what real mpg was yet (i've adjusted the computer mpg accuracy in vagcom)
I don't think thats very good for a modern diesel (25k miles) considering my old Alfa petrol V6 will do 30mpg at 80+.
I think the DSG gear box needs a much higher 6th gear.
At 80 your doing 2800 rpm - too high. 2000 rpm would be better and you've still got bags of power/torque left at that engine speed.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
I did a 290 mile round trip on M1 this weekend mostly 80mph (sat nav speed) in cruise, averaged 67mph and 38 mpg on trip computer. Not sure what real mpg was yet (i've adjusted the computer mpg accuracy in vagcom)
I don't think thats very good for a modern diesel (25k miles) considering my old Alfa petrol V6 will do 30mpg at 80+.
I think the DSG gear box needs a much higher 6th gear.
At 80 your doing 2800 rpm - too high. 2000 rpm would be better and you've still got bags of power/torque left at that engine speed.

strange in my 5 speed im sure its about 2800rpm at 80

ragga63

Do not feed the Ragga
Three weeks ago I traded in my 2001 Leon Cupra 20VT for a 2007 Altea 1.9TDI Stylance, mainly for reasons of comfort, but also economy. My Mum is the main passenger these days, and she suffered terrible back pain through getting in and out of the Cupra, and hated the harsh ride; in comparison the Altea is like riding on a cushion of air.
I'm impressed with the new car; the fuel economy is much better, it costs much less to tax and insure, and the finance deal works out at £130 per month less than the Cupra, over the same period, with three years warranty compared with the one year I had on that particular car. At the moment I'm averaging about 45 mpg but even that is far, far better than the Cupra which used to guzzle petrol - due in no small part to my foot-to-the-floor aggressive style of driving. Oh, and that's another thing; I believe I'm becoming a better driver in the Altea, which is causing me to think more carefully about each journey I make, as opposed to treating one as a sprint between two points on the map.

jtmac

Call me old but you get a diesel since it's better than a petrol engine. It starts in cold weather, it doesn't kick back at you and stop when cold etc etc.

These people that post up "oh I don't buy a diesel since I won't do the miles" is a lame excuse since you buy diesel since it's better than petrol you don't buy it on economy, least I don't. I'll never do back to petrol myself.

I initial bought my diesel for economy, BUT now that I've got a diesel I think I'd stick with diesel regardless of mileage.

I think most people don't realise how good diesels are until their mileage drives them to look at diesel.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Diesels are great, personally prefer them over petrol, although lately mpg suffering, hopefully it fixed now. Worked out 39mpg for 25litres, and that pushing it hard on motorway and country roads.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise