Music

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Love music, can't play a note but the kids do and we have a ridiculous number of instruments in the house.

Seven-piece drum kit and a grands worth of cymbols.
Cajon
Two bass guitars and two bass amps
Three electric guitars and two amps.
Four acoustic guitars (one electro)
Two alto saxophones
Digital piano
Midi keyboard
Four ukuleles (one electric)

There is even a melodica and a few other toy-like instruments kicking around!

Although I can't play anything, I love music and it's me who got the kids into playing. Music feature large in anyone else's life? Anyone out there playing, making music at home or just into Hi-Fi?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Couldn’t hold a tune in a bucket me, but like music in the house so the audio is quite high end and is on most of the weekend whilst at home, if I could have I would have like to play the saxophone.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I attempt to play electric and bass guitar lol I used to be in a band but now I find that the car takes over my weekends haha

Currently got 4 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass, can you tell I'm not a fan of tuning the guitar haha

On the other hand without music I would probably lose it... It's my go to thing for everything lol listen to anything really as long as its not some winey punk that didn't make their own music and needs auto tune lol

Reactions: kanyewest

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Love listening to music & going to gigs. Can't play anything unless you count being forced to play the oboe at school (it is as sh8 as it sounds). I then managed to skive enough lessons to be moved to keyboards (where the pre recorded demos were very popular!)
I have seen most mainstream bands of the grunge/metal genre & endless cover bands. I can't drive, eat or sleep without something blaring, it just helps me stay sane!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I haven't been to a gig for a while. The last one was Echobelly I think a few months ago. Going to see Sleeper in March, looking forward to that. I like indie bands in smaller venues. I've seen quite a few big noises in big spaces; U2, ACDC, Bruce Springsteen etc but you can't beat the buzz of being ten-feet from the band.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I haven't been to a gig for a while. The last one was Echobelly I think a few months ago. Going to see Sleeper in March, looking forward to that. I like indie bands in smaller venues. I've seen quite a few big noises in big spaces; U2, ACDC, Bruce Springsteen etc but you can't beat the buzz of being ten-feet from the band.
I agree, I recently got into some heavier punk hardcore and they only do pubs and very small venues and it's such a better atmosphere.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I agree, I recently got into some heavier punk hardcore and they only do pubs and very small venues and it's such a better atmosphere.

It really is. Watching the band on the TV is better than a stadium gig. It's nice to be able to say you've seen 'x' live but that's about the best part of it. I had a ticket go see Elton John a few months ago and I didn't bother going. Gave it to my daughter.

If you can get right down the front though it doesn't matter where you are! :0)

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
It really is. Watching the band on the TV is better than a stadium gig. It's nice to be able to say you've seen 'x' live but that's about the best part of it. I had a ticket go see Elton John a few months ago and I didn't bother going. Gave it to my daughter.

If you can get right down the front though it doesn't matter where you are! :0)
i think gigs at stadiums suck, but if you get to see an act in a club its not bad at all. in fact ive seen a band at the manchester apollo theatre too. best part was being sat down on comfy seats for the entirety of the show!

Reactions: BadBoy03

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
I love our local gig venue. It has a continuous stream of tribute bands & new bands. The bar is a stone's throw from the stage & I love the spit & sawdust atmosphere. I have been lucky enough to get on stage with Metallica & be in the mosh pit many times, but now I'm happy with a smaller venue & group of ageing fans, like myself!

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I love our local gig venue. It has a continuous stream of tribute bands & new bands. The bar is a stone's throw from the stage & I love the spit & sawdust atmosphere. I have been lucky enough to get on stage with Metallica & be in the mosh pit many times, but now I'm happy with a smaller venue & group of ageing fans, like myself!
the most recent music show i went to was at a place like this. Deaf Institute in manchester, there are no guards to stop people from getting on stage, and the artists HAVE to clash with the crowd to get on/off the stage. really intimate spot

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
the most recent music show i went to was at a place like this. Deaf Institute in manchester, there are no guards to stop people from getting on stage, and the artists HAVE to clash with the crowd to get on/off the stage. really intimate spot
That sounds amazing! Love to see some punk hardcore there!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Deaf Institute in manchester, there are no guards to stop people from getting on stage, and the artists HAVE to clash with the crowd to get on/off the stage.

I can think of a few venues like that where the artists have to walk through the crowd. I also think that getting to sit down is nice, sign of getting old ;0)

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I also think that getting to sit down is nice, sign of getting old ;0)
it certainly is. kinda makes sense why all these old acts/bands perform at stadiums. their fans are ageing just like them and need a sit down and half a litre of wine during the show

Reactions: BadBoy03

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Make that three saxophones! Daughter bought a tenor sax yesterday and my son is going to look at another bass advertised on Gumtree.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If anyone is near and looking for a cosy venue Backstage in the Green Hotel in Kinross (Scotland)is worth a visit, last gig there I saw was Lindisfarne, ok you may need to be my ageism to know them but if you google Mundell music you should find the gig guide.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If anyone is near and looking for a cosy venue Backstage in the Green Hotel in Kinross is worth a visit..

That's a great call! Just looked at their gig list and I'll be getting a few tickets. Nice one :0)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.