My Car Won't Start!!!!

mimo

Just simply does not start, tried the jump leads with no result.

Tried push starting but just isnt having it, anyone any ideas? :(

mimo

yes everything as normal.... but jsut wont start...

makes the noise as if it is about to start but just doesnt

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Have you run out of diesel?

Maybe the anti shudder valve is stuck?

What is your knowledge of these engines, and mechanics in general? Not much use in trying to tell you where to look if you don't know what a turbo looks like (for example).

mimo

I know the basic stuff... i can find my way arround the engine.

Still has a full tank of fuel and as far as i am aware the shuuder valve is fine.

I want ot get it on the VAGcom but i can drive it to the garage, which means im gonna have to get someone to pick it up.

Has anyone had this problem in the past, whats the most common thing that could go wrong.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Okay, fuel in the tank but not getting to the injectors, or getting there at the wrong time. Are there any air bubbles in the fuel lines coming from the fuel filter to the injector pump? Is there any fuel in the clear lines? You'll have to get someone to crank the engine while you look see.

If there's no fuel then look at the fuel filter being clogged. If the filter is okay then the injection pump is your next stop. Has the timing belt slipped (or snapped) which would put the injection timing out (not to be confused with the cam timing).

mimo

Actually yes there are little bubbles of air going through with the fuel....

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if air is getting in (leak or run empty) then fuel wont get through and it wont start

tdi's are buggers for it

mimo

Im just hoping it is not the Bosch Pump (if thats what its called)

but the bubbles are going through which means that it is circulating like you say.... I hope its nothing too serious, only had the bugger a couple of days. and the timing belt is fine btw

mimo

Current milleage is 97000 last servied 85000 i think....

also i believe the bosch pump was changed by the previous owner because it has the yellow marks on it when you buy from scrap yard.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Well, I'd suggest tracing the leak to stop those air bubbles and replace the filter to be on the safe side. Nowt like clean diesel to help. Then crack an injector union loose, wrap a towel round it, and have someone crank it til you're sure that fuel is coming through. Once you're there with clean fuel at the injectors, then you're getting somewhere.

There's some o rings on the fuel filter I seem to remember. I'd start there if I was you.

Your previous problem with it cutting out over 3k revs would doubtless be connected to this.

mimo

I bought the car at an auction, and was supprised to see that it had a full tank of diesel in it. Possibly the previous owner put some petrol into it rather than diesel and had to fill the remainder with diesel.

I had this problem with my previous car and that caused bubbles in the fuel pipes. This could be a possiblility right?

Although when it did start before it ran fine and no smoke was coming out of the exhaust.

M90TEN

how many miles has the car done........has the cambelt gone cos the car will try and start but then it wont

mimo

Look guys, thanks for you help, but i think i'm gonna have to get it on the computer to be sure of exactly what is wrong.

I will inform you what it is when i do find out. cheers

M90TEN

Car's done 97k miles (as he says) and if the cam belt had snapped then the fuel wouldn't circulate through the clear lines.

i aint no mechanic just my cam belt went on my mk4 golf and well it didnt do much after that!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.