My first nervous moment in my Cupra.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
What happened was, I went round a bend at 30 mph, which I have done loads of times in my last car (Astra 200+). For some reason though my car decided to have major under steer. At this point I thought crap I'm going to hit the kerb. Just before I did the front end bit and then put me into an oversteer which I collected and drove on my way.
I dont think the Cupra should handle worse than my Astra but the only thing I can put it down to was the tyres (Bridgestone Potenzas which came with the car) and may be a combination of the 3 degree temperature. On my Astra I had Dumlop Sport SP01 and then Vredestein ultrac sessanta which were fine even in the cold weather.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Could it be oil on the road or maybe the road was a bit greasy.
Alex

This was my first thought but when I went back I the road was dry. There is a bump in the middle of the bend that may have un-settled the car though even though it never has before.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I drive an Altea as a family car and find it handles very well (more inspiring than my LCR) i assume it shares the same platform as the Cupra (ish) so i think you just need to familiarise yourself with its abilities. I'm sure it can show the old astra who's boss.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Sounds most likely to be a patch of frost/ice as it sounds as if you lost traction on the bend. The Leon does come with ESP and XDS to help reduce this it should of lit up to help. Depending on the road many roads are not being gritted due to a shortage of grit and we have had quite a few accidents on un gritted country roads recently. I had similar happend just the once on a bend just off of a roundabout on to a 70mph road in my 1 Series and the car just understeeed and that was in a RWD car also on Bridgestone but REO 50 runcraps. Just took foor off gas and waited for the car to find grip before correcting. Always a scary moment or two!!

At least you and the car are ok!!!

Last edited:

Poverty

I reckon you were going quicker than thirty but didnt realise it. Happens easily in the cupra ;)

QuietQuackers

Feb 14, 2007
Cheshire
I've been guilty of this too, but the simple answer is just to drive slower in cold weather, especially if you dont have winter tyres.

Poverty

I've been guilty of this too, but the simple answer is just to drive slower in cold weather, especially if you dont have winter tyres.

when did you upgrade dude? I think I remember seeing your posts in the beeza section when we both had lowly 1.4's :lol:

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
You might want to check the tyre pressures, if they are on the hard side this might cause probs in the cold weather.
Better still, get some Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
It really doesnt matter what the speed , if you hit an icy patch the car will get caught out.

Happened to me in my younger days , i had an mk2 XR2 which held the road like sh*t to a blanket , one day i went round a roundabout which was partly covered by a fly over , it had been frosty over night but sunny during the day , i took the roundablout at a comfortable speed but the sun had not quite moved and shone on all the road and i hit a frosty patch and ended up in a scary moment with my arms battling to keep her striaght.

You need to be prepared for all eventuallities , because the Cupra is heavier it does not feedback as well as to whats happening.

FR_Flavoured

Could have been a patch of black ice!?

Anyway, you are driving a CUPRA now, and not a Vauxhall Astra, so you should be more than pleased! :)

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
When the temperatures are low, Bridgestone RE050A are particularly poor. I found the Bridgestones need warmer conditions to perform as well as other premium brand tyres, They have quite a hard rubber compound. I was so appalled by their performance I changed my RE050A's with 4mm tread left on them. I've used Dunlops and Goodyears since. I can say they are far better when temperatures are low and wet grip is on another level.

As you can tell I rate the RE050A's very poorly, tbh they are one of the worst tyres I've ever used.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
When the temperatures are low, Bridgestone RE050A are particularly poor. I found the Bridgestones need warmer conditions to perform as well as other premium brand tyres, They have quite a hard rubber compound. I was so appalled by their performance I changed my RE050A's with 4mm tread left on them. I've used Dunlops and Goodyears since. I can say they are far better when temperatures are low and wet grip is on another level.

As you can tell I rate the RE050A's very poorly, tbh they are one of the worst tyres I've ever used.

Agree with you there but the Pirelli Euphoria's I had were even worse than the Bridgestones belive it or not!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.