my fr did not start

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
this morning half past six -2 tried to start my car which is a 08 fr tdi engine cranking over but would not start after three times it went spoke to seat they said all pd s do that they said u need to leave the glow plugs going for about 60 seconds are they right or are they just fobbing me off anyone else having problems in the cold

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The engine should be ready to start as soon as the glow plug light extinguishes.

Even then, I've noticed that our A3 (PD140) rarely uses the glow plugs even when it's cold - it has to be really cold before they kick in - usually the light just flashes on for a second and then is off again

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I have never waited for my glow plugs, as leigh said the light goes out very quickly anyhow. I have a pd ibiza and an frtdi leon the same as you and just flick the key and starts first time no matter what the weather.
Think they may be fobbing you off a bit there:wtf:

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
yeah i did think that, thanks for quick replies chaps, the light does go off in about two seconds like you said will have to try again in the morning and see, fingers crossed, :(

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
yeah i did think that, thanks for quick replies chaps, the light does go off in about two seconds like you said will have to try again in the morning and see, fingers crossed, :(

Same with mine mate. Our's isn't a quick on/off job, on cold mornings its a good 5-10 seconds and even then my car seriously stutters when trying to start. I have found that waiting for a little while after the light goes out, does help.

Danny.

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
well come to my car this morning and it was -4 turned the key light went off after about two seconds and car started fine :funk:

popped into seat dealer checked for fault codes none to be found :wtf:

just see how it goes :confused:

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Tried to video it. Not very clear but it does stutter on start up and the whole car wobbles badly. Sometimes the start up is worse then this

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/dannyisace/?action=view&current=21122009024.flv

Danny.

Yes I could see that.

My car (same as yours) struggled to start on Monday morning, took 4 or 5 attempts.. My sister has a 1.9 Tdi MKV Golf which wont start at all, and the RAC who came out have said that its frozen diesel.

I was a bit sceptical about this as I thought diesel has loads of anti freezing additives, but when I phoned my pal at Audi he has said that they have just got a TDI A4 with the same fault - and he spoke with the AA guy who told him theyve been out to loads of cars not starting.

So whether its water in the fuel lines/filter freezing, or the oil companies not putting in enough additives I dont know - but its definitely a real problem.

Got mine tucked up in the garage to be safe anyhow!

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
Tried to video it. Not very clear but it does stutter on start up and the whole car wobbles badly. Sometimes the start up is worse then this

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/dannyisace/?action=view&current=21122009024.flv

Danny.

Pretty much as mine apart from yours seems to tick-over at 1000rpm, mine ticks over at 750rpm on cold start. Mine seems to judder/struggle for half a second or so after it fires up. Took 2 attempts to start this morning at -5°C

Only time it ticks over at 1000rpm is on a re-gen

dave.richmond

Jul 29, 2009
mine also ticks over at 1000 rpm on cold starts but then drops to 750 after a while.... must be something to do with the air temp and the ecu adjusting the idle.

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
there are two leon FR TDis at work. Mine and the other reps both struggle to start. what frightened me the most was it initially started, then cut out, and took a few cycles to start back up again. gave it a bit of boot, seemed to sort it :D

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
well glad to see i am not the only one who is having cold start problems, well not glad that all of us are having problems but you know what i mean, :confused:

the last two days have been -5 over here in hereford and my fr has started ok but like your vid mine to makes some odd sounds for the first 5 seconds, dealer told me it is the same on all the pd's and there is nothing they can do about or will do about it,

someone did tell me that the glow plugs will not come on until around -12 which is why the light goes out so quick don't know if this is true but could make sense.

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
Even after the glowplug light has gone out, mine quite often takes 2 attempts to start in 'sub zero' temps.

dave.richmond

Jul 29, 2009
well even though so of you are having trouble, atleast they always do start even if it does take a couple of tries.

richard_c_61

Danny.

Watched your video, my 07 FR TDI has had a problem likes yours since i got it, dealers told me its due to the engine power, but recently its got worse and refuses to start at all and battery goes flat every time i leave it in the garage for more than a couple of days, had door control units replaced under warrenty but its no better going back to dealers on Jan 11th (best they could do:censored:) Warranty runs out end of Jan so they can keep it till its sorted will post you what they say (not expecting much from them tho theyre bloody useless to be honest)

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Mine was awful this morning, it would have been a better video had a I recorded it :( Car had been stood 2 days with a light covering of snow, could it be anything like the fuel getting a layer of skin over it in the fuel pump due to the sub-zero temps? not a mechanic so can't really comment haha

Danny.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members