my fr did not start

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Mine fails to start first time in these low temps occasionally.I just turn the key again and after waiting for the glow plug light to go out{only a few seconds} it fires.I just thought though that maybe holding the key a little longer when starting initially may help.Just a thought.Will try this in the morning when car is proper cold and report back.

richard_c_61

can't wait to here what they say mine touch wood has been ok, still would like to know in case it comes back

Got car back after 3 days, what a difference one man can make, local dealers got a new sevice manager and he knows how to treat customers. List of things done under warrenty

New Battery
New window glass and regulator - drivers side
New window/door seal passenger side.

Warrenty runs out in 2 weeks so very pleased, also had MOT done.

Thanks to Lee at Seat Huddersfield, top fella

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Tried to video it. Not very clear but it does stutter on start up and the whole car wobbles badly. Sometimes the start up is worse then this

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/dannyisace/?action=view&current=21122009024.flv

Danny.

Of course the car wobbles, you have just made your engine go from nothing to 1000RPM with an electric motor, The car will wobble if you thrash your arms about whilst sitting in the seat and you probably weigh a lot less that the engine does.

I reckon that you had some water in the fuel lines/filter and it was frozen, water in the fuel filter is quite normal and normally gets drained out on the service.

Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
Got car back after 3 days, what a difference one man can make, local dealers got a new sevice manager and he knows how to treat customers. List of things done under warrenty

New Battery
New window glass and regulator - drivers side
New window/door seal passenger side.

Warrenty runs out in 2 weeks so very pleased, also had MOT done.

Thanks to Lee at Seat Huddersfield, top fella

Did the new battery help, did they say anything about the cold start problems,

Mine started ok the other day but now a have a new problem can't get out of my drive :help: 18" wheels and mich tyres don't help in the bloody snow, made snowmen with my two boys had our fun now just wish it would go now

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Mine is the same but I have a bit of a theory on this one. I think its how different people start their cars. Are you one of those people that ark back to the days where u have to pull the choke out manually on a car and give it a bit of throttle or are you used to starting a car with your feet clear from the pedals and just turning the key?

I'm so used to having my old V6 coupe I just expect it to start straight away and be up to tempertature in about 2 minutes (Thirsty bluddy thing). With the Leon I've noticed if I do that it starts then immediately cuts out (Below Freezing). If I give it a bit of throttle whilst I start it, it keeps running long enough to get it past that cut out period. I don't think theres anything wrong with our cars (I've got mates who have VW's, Audi's and Skodas with all the same block who have same problems) it's just how you start it. It also takes an absolute AGE for my car to get fully up to temp too when its freezing outside. I can complete a 15 minute drive and the car will still not be up to normal.

Bluddy Amazing on fuel tho!!!

Last edited:

froilburner

FR Oil Burner
Apr 9, 2006
Tried to video it. Not very clear but it does stutter on start up and the whole car wobbles badly. Sometimes the start up is worse then this

Danny.

I was talking to one of the service guys at my local stealers last week when i was getting it serviced. My car starts fine, 07 FR TDI, but i was asking him about common issues/faults with theses cars. He said symptoms like you are experiencing Danny can be cured by a software upgrade.

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
there are two leon FR TDis at work. Mine and the other reps both struggle to start. what frightened me the most was it initially started, then cut out, and took a few cycles to start back up again. gave it a bit of boot, seemed to sort it :D

Had exactly the same problem on monday morning tho i hadn't run the car since friday. had to turn it over for ages, the engine would catch, run for a second then die. happened 2 or 3 times before finally running. i put it down to the cold weather possibly making the diesel gloopy, tho a mate said it might be a weak glow plug. just a thought:think:

DeanJ

black topped
Oct 26, 2006
Birmingham
Mine didn't start first time on Monday in the cold but it hadn't moved since Friday. If it's been used recently I've never had it not start on me.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I was talking to one of the service guys at my local stealers last week when i was getting it serviced. My car starts fine, 07 FR TDI, but i was asking him about common issues/faults with theses cars. He said symptoms like you are experiencing Danny can be cured by a software upgrade.

As far as I am aware, mine has the latest software on it from somethings I had done in October last year, anyone know if there is a new version? :)

Danny.

richteddy

Hi i'm new to this! Got Leon 56 fr 170 and i have had this problem since i got the car. I asked the dealer about it and they checked the glow plugs and said it was fine. Even in summer it will not start first turn of the key unless i turn on the ignition lights and wait min 5-6 seconds. I saw a earlyer post saying water in the fuel filter could cause this, has anyone had this varyfied? Does anyone suffer these same problems any other time apart from when weather very cold?
Richard

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi i'm new to this! Got Leon 56 fr 170 and i have had this problem since i got the car. I asked the dealer about it and they checked the glow plugs and said it was fine. Even in summer it will not start first turn of the key unless i turn on the ignition lights and wait min 5-6 seconds. I saw a earlyer post saying water in the fuel filter could cause this, has anyone had this varyfied? Does anyone suffer these same problems any other time apart from when weather very cold?
Richard
Had a service fuel filter changed just before the snow and mine is STILL a poor starter when cold too!?@ - need to look on other VAG Marque web sites for simlar problems though, if it is a "known fault"