My guide on fitting a cd player under your steering wheel.

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
Hey, i had a good search of the site and found no threads on installing a cd player under the steering wheel so i thought id have a go without one and make a guide myself :).

Heres a pic of it installed...
f34yo7.jpg

Things you need..

Wire strippers or a stanley knife.
some wire the same thickness as the wire on your headunit £2.39 from maplins 10m roll.
electrical tape.
something that will cut though thin plastic.
screwdriver cross head type.
Little plastic connector things see pic i dont know what there called there about a quid in maplins

The guide..

First off unscrew the two screws under the fascia then slowly pull it off from the bottom take care though as theres a ribbon cable behind it pop that off when you get to it and the fascia just pops off.
ru3ek0.jpg

Then unscrew the 4 screws around the tape unit the unit just comes out then unplug the plugs from the back.
am7985.jpg

Then plug the power plug from the back of the tape unit into the back of your headunit ive plugged the speaker plug in too in the pic you dont need to do this as the speaker plug and ariel doesnt need extending it reaches to the headunit when its under the steering wheel.
2eba05i.jpg

See which wires need extending by following the ones coming from the headunit then shear a little plastic off each wire on the cars plugs and attach 2 foot of wire on each it should be 4-5 wires i just wrapped it round tight and wrapped it in electrical tape you could solder it if you like but my ways fine and secure.
al6seu.jpg

Now you need to make the hole for the headunit.. skip this part if you just looking how to wire up a headunit.

Pull the fusebox cover off from under the steering wheel this is what you will be installing the headunit in.. cut 3 and a half inches off the back of the part in the pic then cut half a cm off the bottom lip of the hole the headunits going in then put the cage for the headunit in and secure it in by bending some of the fins back on the cage.
2zdprf4.jpg

5dt2bt.jpg

now unscrew the 3 screws in the next picture and pull the plastic shelf thing out.
o8uq2o.jpg

Cut the top of this bit off like in the picture cut where the red lines are then fit the plastic shelf thing back in.
see next post for pic

Now put the fuse cover back on with the cage in it pull your extended wires though the cage just push then though the back of the dash theres tons of space pull the ariel though too and the speaker plug as fan as it comes too now you need to get the little connector things (can someone please tell me the name of these) put one on the end of each wire and push them onto the correct fins on the headunits wiring loom like in the next picture.
See second pic in next post 10 pic limit per post

plug the speaker plug into the headunit and the ariel flick the ignition on and test if youve done it right and understood my terrible explaning it should look like this.
See third pic in next post

Now fit your tape player back in and the fascia back on fit the headunit in as you would a normal car and there you go... it should look like the first picture of the post.

Hope you understand this if you dont just ask and il help.:D

Thanks for reading

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
No its actually quite far away from your knees and ive got pretty long legs it can be a little fiddly to skip track and turn it up but nothing dangerous at all if you have a remote which most decent headunits have your fine.

Also it only took me and my mate about a hour to do and we where messing about most of the time its very easy to do and VERY cheap.

Last edited:

antnee

Just thought too, with this way, the new headunit could be stolen in about 2 secs!

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
Prebs: not really as you just pop the plastic off the headunits in and unplug it its a bit easier to nick i guess yea but you can hardly see it its pretty hidden aslong as you remember to take the fasia off i cant see anybody wanting your headunit anyways.

Antnee are you a member of Notts car club? im sure ive seen pictures of your car on there if its the one its a really nice looking ibiza.

Williams84

Jan 27, 2009
North Wales
I have tried this before, and as a result, I couldn't get the original stereo/aircon display to work and thus no aircon- have i missed something obvious? I have tried a few different methods....
Cheers.

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
Did you plug the power plug back in or just go straight to the headunit with it? you need to shear some plastic off each wire of the tape units power plug attach a 2 foot wire to each one and take it down to the headunit you need to have power going to the tape unit and headunit.

antnee

Yeah I am ethan. Where abouts you from then? You should come to our derby meets

loveturbopower

Jun 13, 2007
Frome, Somerset
The only thing i would say is that if you can solder the wires that would be a safer option not that it will make alot of difference but its safer :) other than that, spot on mate

greg

Aug 31, 2005
Did you plug the power plug back in or just go straight to the headunit with it? you need to shear some plastic off each wire of the tape units power plug attach a 2 foot wire to each one and take it down to the headunit you need to have power going to the tape unit and headunit.

Does this method mean powering both the original unit and the aftermarket unit from the same (original) power wire? Isnt there chance of overloading the wire when doing this?

daves ibiza

lol i done this a while back no iv never hit knees on buttons never thought on doin a guide lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.