My LCR Since '05 with Static+ Front Air Lift - Project Gone to a New Home.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Yep that's fine mate, anything else you want done? It would be the same price.

I'm getting the 4 centre lock nuts for my wheels done, first quote was £400! :blink:

I've had another quote of £50 (I think that's plus VAT) the place said they can do other bits at the same time for the same price as the money is for setting the tank up. I wasn't going to bother as it's a lot of money for 4 nuts but if you want some bits done we'll just half it?

They basically said they can do most things alloy that would fit in the tank apart from wheels so brackets, bells etc

If you want a really nice finish the alloy needs to be pretty damage/scratch free as the bloke said the process eats in to the alloy so what we give him comes back exactly the same but black unlike powder coating that puts a thicker layer of material on that hides imperfections ... It's obviously a lot harder and robust then powder coat tho.

If that sounds ok let me know. I may be able to get another mate to get something done to make it even cheaper.

Adam, that's very much appreciated. Going half sounds great. I think I'll have my adjustable rear Coilover mounts done too as they're a bit tatty. I'll remove it all and prep it tomorrow. Are you sure you can wait until the weekend for them? Not to worry if you can't. As a thank you, I'll stick that gearbox whine kit in with the items, if you have bought one already? Thanks mate!

In other news...

My discs are actually 28mm in thickness, not 32mm, so I don't need to remove anything metal wise. Happy days :funk:

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yeah that's fine mate my wheels need repainting anyway so I'm not in a great rush now, thanks very much :)

Great news about the discs!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Forge Motorsport

I've recently received my rear discs. They're used so I'm having the bells re-anodised, thanks to Adam. The rotor to bell bolt fixings are quite different to my Forge fronts. To get uniformity, I spoke with Forge today to see if they could provide me with a new set of 24 bolts, expecting to pay for them. However, they're sending them free of charge. It's not very often that you come across such good customer service, so a big thanks to Kris & Jaime!

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Hi James, thought I'd check in as been a while :whistle: kids and all that. Great updates. I'm a fan of rear brake upgrade but noted one of your previous posts about balance..being a complete novice I wondered how you get them balanced front and rear?
Chris

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi James, thought I'd check in as been a while :whistle: kids and all that. Great updates. I'm a fan of rear brake upgrade but noted one of your previous posts about balance..being a complete novice I wondered how you get them balanced front and rear?
Chris
That is a massive subject.

Car weight, caliper piston number and diameter, rotor diameter, tyres, brake pad composition...Its going to be hard to rectify if there is a major inbalance as James has already purchased the brake setup. In worst case scenario he can do more weight saving measures, weight distribution, different suspension setup to help. Also get stronger or weaker pads in the front or back can alter this too. If you have adjustable suspension this would be a massive help too...

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Loving the brake updates mate, these are going to look awesome once all fitted and behind the wheels with the stance on your car it'll look pretty special! :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Chris

Chris

Hi Chris, good to hear from you. Hopefully you should be back on the road with your car soon?

The issue of balancing was based on a couple of things. 1) remaining with the single pot caliper rather than upgrading to a 2/4 pot one, maintaing a nice oem pedal feel. 2). The old disc sizes of 323 & 256mm Vs the new 356 & 330mm discs - a nice ratio. Hopefully giving a balanced feel, if that makes sense? Probably not academically correct but a good upgrade all round. Hopefully it's going to feel immense :D

In other news, I've mocked up the rears to get the caliper sitting correctly before sending the bells to Adam to be anodised.

9BBD9854-D5DD-48EC-A033-BBEE62588C83_zpsmzrnc5ej.jpg

Couple of observations... I probably need 19 inch wheels in the long run as the outer caliper edge was touching the inner wheel. I've ground off some of the meat off the caliper, as there's loads on there and plays no role to the structural Integrity. I now have a cms clearance so good tolerances.

96A7FD80-4E08-4284-AF93-34E392427574_zps135iocrp.jpg

The disc and pads fit really well. Bracket template will be sent off to be made now that I'm happy with the measurements. I've ordered some new hard brake lines from David at Sere. I'm going to spend the next few days painting the calipers and tidying up the discs, then I'll remove the beam to refurb it.

On with the show....

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
That is a massive subject.

Car weight, caliper piston number and diameter, rotor diameter, tyres, brake pad composition...Its going to be hard to rectify if there is a major inbalance as James has already purchased the brake setup. In worst case scenario he can do more weight saving measures, weight distribution, different suspension setup to help. Also get stronger or weaker pads in the front or back can alter this too. If you have adjustable suspension this would be a massive help too...

It's a tried and tested setup on many Golf and Audi platforms, which is why I went for this particular ratio. If it stops, I'll be happy :D

Loving the brake updates mate, these are going to look awesome once all fitted and behind the wheels with the stance on your car it'll look pretty special! :)

Cheers Tom. We're getting there slowly. Not many will notice/appreciate the extra effort but I will. Really looking forward to some summer spirited driving [B)]

worzel

LCR 225
Dec 20, 2009
Jersey
Tick tock not long now James...have sold quite a bit off recently from the BT & front Big Brake conversion so the coffers will allow for more soon.

That pic / mock up looks spot on and needless to say I wouldn't have doubted your commitment to such a project with out research ;). I have 19s and my rear discs look non existent so will be definitely interested in your progress here.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Out of interest james how is the handbrake cable fitment?
I know theres not huge room on the 256 and when Phil has his ecs 308mm setup said how difficult it is to tension the cable to fit.
Just thought as the caliper on yours also sits further up

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Out of interest james how is the handbrake cable fitment?
I know theres not huge room on the 256 and when Phil has his ecs 308mm setup said how difficult it is to tension the cable to fit.
Just thought as the caliper on yours also sits further up

It seems ok but that will have to be adjusted when the alloy brackets are made. I spoke to Compbrake about this a few weeks ago, as they do a 330mm conversion kit, and they said its not been an issue in their experience. I also thought I'd need extended brake lines too but apparently not. I'll just have to see and hopefully I'll be able to make it work.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
They look awesome!!

I moved my handbrake cables back towards the calipers a bit, just open the clips on the subframe, pull the cables back a bit then put the clips back tight.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
330mm RBBK...

And we're nearly there... Handbrake problem solved (I think... ). I've managed to bleed the brakes. Last few bits to do before the wheels go on. I'll do a proper write up once I'm finished, but I'm feeling pretty chuffed... But a little nervous that it might still go Pete Tong...

C8D8515E-8E4B-4549-B94D-405645E3F60F_zpstjswcec7.jpg

D36FB7F3-BB04-4CC7-8527-A2597B5E0217_zpsnvp7ogfq.jpg

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
This will be very capable once complete mate. Great setup indeed :)

Love how clean your arches are too!! LOL. Hope the car didn't get dirty while it was outside ;)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Have you thought of adding bias adjustment incase these rears are overkill a little.
I trackday with my spare wheel in as otherwise I find the rear too light and skippy
Just a suggestion

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise