My LCR Since '05 with Static+ Front Air Lift - Project Gone to a New Home.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
hi mate,

I guess you have heard this a million times, but i admire your attention to detail and the quality of finish on your leon,

It looks amazing mate. well done

Thanks Tony! TBH, there's many forum cars worthy of such comments. Hopefully you'll like the future updates - lots of attention to detail to come ;-)

still following your thread even if the updates have slowed down lately.
just be careful with doing the prep work on the body yourself as it seems to happen so often on here people get in so deep at that stage and lose interest in the project the car looks a state at that stage so they give up and break the car.
im pretty sure you wont do that but it might be worth taking it into consideration and maybe paying a deposit into the respray before you start the prep work,just a thought and me thinking out loud but thought id voice it.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
still following your thread even if the updates have slowed down lately.
just be careful with doing the prep work on the body yourself as it seems to happen so often on here people get in so deep at that stage and lose interest in the project the car looks a state at that stage so they give up and break the car.
im pretty sure you wont do that but it might be worth taking it into consideration and maybe paying a deposit into the respray before you start the prep work,just a thought and me thinking out loud but thought id voice it.

Thanks Al. My thoughts exactly. Deposit and dates firmed up. Writing on this forum is kind of my commitment, along with show applications, etc. I have a clear goal, which I think is crucial, and a timetable for scheduled works. With this whole build, it's been about getting my hands dirty and maybe some of my disheartening has been born from this. Lots to do and looking forward :)

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Looking forward to seeing it with it's new paint mate !,
Also fair play to you for doing as much of the work as you can yourself as a lot of people would just hand it over to a bodyshop and let them get on with it.
Dying to know what wheels you have in mind ??
Hopefully over the winter months i can get a few jobs on mine done and we can maybe meet up at some shows next year as i will hopefully again be getting to as many as i can when family time and money permits.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
I'm looking forward to it in its new paint too Mark. It's been a long time coming!! Perhaps you appreciate more than most what it's like trying to juggle family commitments, but yes, next year the car WILL be out and about at shows, evening if just in the carpark. Would be great to have a few Mk1s lined up together (with mine in there hahah)... Thanks for the comments as always mate. As for the wheels, you'll have seen hints floating around Facebook over the last few weeks. It's not Speedlines as they're too show-like for me. A decent replacement for the highly regarded Ronal is needed. I will say that they'll be in 19" 8j fitment...

Last edited:

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
All my bits are done now and it's off to the paint shop next Saturday so I'm hoping to get some other bit's finished off now.
Your template came Saturday as well, thanks mate :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
All my bits are done now and it's off to the paint shop next Saturday so I'm hoping to get some other bit's finished off now.
Your template came Saturday as well, thanks mate :)

Glad you received it. Sorry it was a bit late getting to you. Hopefully it helps you out. Should it not, I'd be more than happy to post the original cover to you to use as a template. Just let me know :)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Nice recap and update james, however it does also sound the like the completion/ending of the project after next year. Are you planning on keeping it long after as it would be a shame to finish it and move on as so many do, the long time owners are becoming more scarce every year

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Nice recap and update james, however it does also sound the like the completion/ending of the project after next year. Are you planning on keeping it long after as it would be a shame to finish it and move on as so many do, the long time owners are becoming more scarce every year

No end in sight Tim -she's a keeper - owned her nearly 10 yrs now... My objective is to get the car to a point where it's a well maintained LCR that, should I be busy for a couple of years with family and work stuff, I could be comfortable with the car being in storage as a 'complete project'. It drives me nuts knowing that it needs work and that I don't really have the time to dip in and out, so i'm going to throw six months at it to get it there. Longer term, I'd like to learn more about the engine mechanics so will probably follow your path, minus the 4wd :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Great update, everything on this car seems to be done to a excellent standard and I have no doubt the car will be welcome at the ultimate dubs show.

Ps. Don't work to hard you'll leave me behind :cartman:

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Great update, everything on this car seems to be done to a excellent standard and I have no doubt the car will be welcome at the ultimate dubs show.

Ps. Don't work to hard you'll leave me behind :cartman:

Thanks Adam. Trust me, the car won't leave yours behind. Mines just catching up with your standard tbh. I'd be really pleased with a good all rounder with immaculate paint, for a whole at least anyway :) The pressure is on to save some pennies now! Early Jan isn't that far away :blink:

that would be following his path :moon:

Tim's path minus the 4wd :p Full on engine build and turbo upgrade would be a great future project, but way down the line.... I'd just be really happy with a complete car ATM... :D

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
Looking great mate. The brakes are huge front and rear. Nice to see another Cupra R in norfolk. Maybe a meet up between a few like Adam and others maybe needed in new year once yours is all complete

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Looking great mate. The brakes are huge front and rear. Nice to see another Cupra R in norfolk. Maybe a meet up between a few like Adam and others maybe needed in new year once yours is all complete

Hi Mate, I live in Marham, so a meet with a few fellow owners would be cool. Really nervous about actually getting the car finished tbh... Lots to do on a tight budget :blink:

Well, as I've had the nod from the chosen body shop (just waiting on details for paying a deposit and firming up an actual date), I'm sure Jake (off this forum) wouldn't mind but I've asked him to paint the car for me. Loved his work from the start and he seems to be passionate for what he does, so I'm really pleased! He's also been very honest in some of the decisions I've proposed. Mainly regarding deleting the bump strips - welding Vs warping and the potential of the filler sinking in the years to come. With zero experience in this area on my part, it's something I never contemplated. Love the idea of deleting the bump strips so I'll have a chat with the Lead Man to see whether it's something that he could do, allowing Jake to prep the finish with minimal filler, etc... If not, the strips will be retained on Jake's advice.

tony08hooper

Oct 24, 2012
caterham surrey
Hi mate,

I think the direction your going with is the perfect fit for this car..
Your attention to detail is beyond OCD lol
But can i see your exhaust back box is a little rusty? Any plans to change it?
cheers

tony

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi mate,

I think the direction your going with is the perfect fit for this car..
Your attention to detail is beyond OCD lol
But can i see your exhaust back box is a little rusty? Any plans to change it?
cheers

tony

There's always one isn't there :D

Yes Tony, I'd love a TB system and it'll come one day. The exhaust is still mechanically sound and as I'm prioritising to achieve a sense of completing direction with the car, it'll have to wait. If I'd have my way, the paint would wait and I'd go air with a Stage 2 map; I'd only need an exhaust. But, in order to get beyond that feeling of needing to drive with a paper bag over the car, the paint needs to be done. There's still years of ownership left with this car, so there's a long list, and hence why I'm doing every mod/resto with the intention of it lasting a long time to come.

Probably a bit boring I know :whistle:

Thanks for posting BTW Tony. Glad you agree with direction the car is heading :)

Last edited:

tony08hooper

Oct 24, 2012
caterham surrey
I agree with you completely, Future proofing is fundamental if your keeping the vehicle for a long time.

I would love to do it to my Leon but Im not sure how far i want to start digging in, I consider mine to be in very good condition with only 66k on the clock, but really getting stuck in to the condition of the vehicle will always be costly.

With that in mind I did have mine painted earlier this year, Im not happy with the finish of the paint... at all.
Im going to have to do something about it so I know how you feel there lol

I recently put mine on Airlift and i love it! It totally transforms the car. Yours will suit it down to the ground! ( no pun intended )

Im always watching this thread because the updates you have been posting are my kind of update!! shiny parts and restoration!

cheers

Last edited:

L16YDW

Big Beefy Boy
Dec 1, 2014
Norfolk
Just read through all that to see you're 10 mins up the road from me at Marham, I'm only over at Gayton. My Cupra has spent a good few hours going round the RAF Marham track days!

Would be good to get a meet up of local owners? Possibly a mini convoy to any recommended shows in the coming year as I'm new to the Seat scene?!

All in credit to you and your commitment to the project!

On another note I'm a qualified mechanic and have a good selection of tools if you ever need anything, from odd socket sizes to a hydraulic press for bearings/bushes etc and a MIG welding plant. All here if you need!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members