My leon has a new sump - should I be worried?

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Was taking a look under the car today to see if I could identify where the suspension related knocking noise is coming from and I can see that car has an almost brand new sump on it (i've only had it the car a few weeks), it also looks like the bottom of the bumper has been caught although could be an old parking injury from a high curb; he engine tray looks original and fine. Should I be concerned?

Would a sump have been replaced for any reason other than being bashed and cracked on something? Is there anything else I should looking for?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Could be something as simple as a stripped sump bolt that refused to come out and rather than do a 5p fix ... a dealer decided a new sump was in order. if it had been bashed badly enough to break the sump they'd also have replaced the undertray i'd have thought - so the undertray could also be new. Of course the sump could just be clean :) I don't think it's much to worry about?

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
more than likely its just been replaced because its been bashed, nothing to worry about really...

however if you've only just bought it and the suspensions knocking i'd take it back to the garage and tell them to sort the knocking out!

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Yeah I'm going to book it into have the knocking noise looked in the new year (its pretty pointless trying to get anything done over Christmas period!) After a bit of investigation I think it could be a CV joint, when driving around in anticlockwise circles in a carpark I can her a noise that sounds like a brake disc rubbing / light grinding.

Doesn't matter too much as will be covered by warranty but was just suprised to see a shinny new sump with vw label hanging off!

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I've been reading through various forums on the net and definetly think the knocking noise is a bush of some kind... I will try spraying them all with oil tomorrow to see if that silences them for a while.

Quick question (& apologies if this is a very dumb question) does the Leon Cupra (not Cupra R) have a front anti roll bar?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise