My Mk4 facelift Ibiza Cupra TDi

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Been a while since I have been on here. Got a bit bored with doing stuff to the car over the summer and spent most of my spare time cycling. Starting to get some enthusiasm back for the car now though, needs a good clean before anything. Only thing that has changed since before is a broken coilspring was replaced a few months back. Car is now edging to the 100k mark but still all good :happy:

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Very small mod done today, replaced the standard boot light bulb with an LED one for a cleaner look, and hopefully a bit more light.

Before:

After:

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Not updated this for ages as not really done anything exciting with the car! Had a few issues over the past 2 years but still got it.
Now on around 118k mileage.
Had 2 coil springs done due to them snapping, both on the front.
Had a few standard services, oil and filter changes.
New tyres.
Had a new windscreen before xmas as had a massive crack in it.
Just had 2 new rear brake calipers fitted as they stopped working completely, having no handbrake is not fun! Need to get these painted red at the weekend.
Starting to get a lot of rust around both the front wings so at some point will be looking to get them replaced.
Got an annoying knocking noise from the front passenger side which the garage seems to think is the steering rack.

Other than that, still enjoying the car, just need to get it nice and clean and a few bits sorted.

Faze

Jan 7, 2017
South Wales
Very nice mate.

Just a quicky off topic. Noticed you said you been cycling.. what you got? I ride DH and enduro

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Very nice mate.

Just a quicky off topic. Noticed you said you been cycling.. what you got? I ride DH and enduro

Sorry for the slow reply only just seen this! I have an Orange Five Black Gold LTD Edition 2012 and also have a Boardman Hardtail Comp both 26ers, mainly ride local stuff, but gonna try and expand my riding this summer having got the Orange just before xmas last year. The guy I got the Orange off used to use it for Enduro racing. How about you?

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Not posted on here for ages but still have the car, just had a service and MOT, 131k on the clock now. 2 new drop links as both had snapped and needs to go back in for suspension top mount bearing at some point as that is making a knocking noise. Need to order a new passenger side mirror as it is overfolding like the drivers one did a few years back, and I am investing in some silent coat to try and deaden the road noise a bit. Just put some brand new genuine mats in the car as well so it is looking fresh and clean inside and out.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Feel like I am getting a bit of passion back for the car, it comes in waves. Fitted new passenger side mirror on Sunday, which was wired up wrong from the factory so it folded the wrong way :blink: so had to use the connector off the old mirror and solder it on. Was planning to sound proof behind the door cards whilst doing this but it took so long and I ran out of time. Hopefully make a start on soundproofing next week. Also currently sourcing the parts to finally fit a glove box light. Also plan to try and sort the scratches out on my alloys over summer. Will start adding pics again but it's been so long I've forgotten how to :roflmao:.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Car is now on 140k, just had MOT and service and only needed a wheel bearing and headlight bulbs. Both front wings need changing pretty soon, they are beginning to rust badly. Planning to swap both door lock modules over summer to stop this annoying door locking when open and alarm going off issue, I'm going to end up locking my keys in the car if I'm not careful. Need a new door mirror adjust switch as a pin appears to have snapped off inside so its a bit floppy but still works. Alloys need some TLC and car needs a good clean.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Finally after about 4 years I have no more knocking noise at the front end! Garage changed both ball joints and drop links but the knock was still there. They discovered a very slight play in the front nearside shock, when they took it off it virtually disintegrated, the weight of the car had somehow kept the shock together. However on that really hot day we had in July where my car read 41c my air con compressor died, so £900 later I now have a knock free car and have my AC back, but a huge credit card bill! Front wings and door lock micro switches are next on the list. The guy at the garage is was very impressed with the car and was saying how rare they are now. If you have a Cupra TDI look after it as they are becoming increasingly rare!

Reactions: womble68

Lavery

Apr 12, 2013
Leigh, Lancashire
Finally after about 4 years I have no more knocking noise at the front end! Garage changed both ball joints and drop links but the knock was still there. They discovered a very slight play in the front nearside shock, when they took it off it virtually disintegrated, the weight of the car had somehow kept the shock together. However on that really hot day we had in July where my car read 41c my air con compressor died, so £900 later I now have a knock free car and have my AC back, but a huge credit card bill! Front wings and door lock micro switches are next on the list. The guy at the garage is was very impressed with the car and was saying how rare they are now. If you have a Cupra TDI look after it as they are becoming increasingly rare!

Hi mate, really good to see you still have the car! I haven’t been on here in years, wish I had kept mine I still miss it 5 years later!

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Hi mate, really good to see you still have the car! I haven’t been on here in years, wish I had kept mine I still miss it 5 years later!

Wow is it 5 years since you sold it?! Yes mate I keep toying with the idea of getting a mk 5 Cupra at some point but I can’t afford it at the moment and as long as this one is still going strong I don’t see the point.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
A few more updates, I finally managed to source a new mirror switch for £20 which I need to fit at some point. Had to put a new battery in the car the other day as the original one finally gave up after a frosty night, managed to start the car but It was a slow painful process, so swapped it before it died. Last night driving back from work I went to flick on cruise control only to find it now won't work! It has worked since changing the battery so don't think it's anything to do with that. There doesn't appear to be a dedicated cruise control fuse so most likely suspect is clutch switch followed by brake switch. Hoping it's not something more serious and expensive!

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
New mirror switch fitted and all working good, the cruise control issue is the switch itself so needs the whole stalk replacing. I've ordered a new stalk unit for £50 and getting that fitted just before xmas. Ordered a bit of boot trim that fell out and went missing as well and some more Forte turbo and injector cleaner.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
It's been a while since I updated this! Had quite a few things done to the car. First off was a new starter motor last year, then a new crankshaft sensor after breaking down in Asda car park.
More recently I have replaced both front wings, swapped both door lock actuators to solve the stupid microswitch issue and soundproofed both doors. Also took apart the boot badge as that was sticking. I also repainted the calipers and put new pins in them. Yesterday my power steering decided to die. I swapped the large metal fuses but it didn't work so end up having to get towed to a garage. I just popped in the garage and saw them and they said a fuse has gone, I told them I'd changed the fuse but the fuse they changed didn't match with the manual, so it looks like some of the battery wires have been swapped around at some point. Anyway I have the car back and not a huge power steering pump issue as I thought. Next up is a little more door soundproofing and a new alarm led as I ripped the other one out taking the door card off. Also putting fresh Cupra lettering on the back as they are all flaking.

Reactions: Syphon

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Well that didn't last long, driving in a traffic jam the other day and both my door locks start going crazy locking and unlocking themselves repeatedly and smoke and a burning smell starts coming from the fuse box! So now my car won't lock at all in any way shape or form, remote, key in door, or the button inside! Car back in garage, I hope this isn't some massive electrical job :cry:

• Wow

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Ok so nipped to the garage to speak to them and body control module is what smelled of burning, the part that controls the doors is dead, what caused it to do that now needs to be solved so it doesn't do it with a new one. They think the wires where the door hinges are have probably perished and shorted so that's the first port of call. This could get expensive :cautious:

• Wow

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Finally got the car back up and running after about 3 months off the road. The convenience control module had melted, this is what controls the central locking, the garage took the whole dash out, I bought a brand new one from seat for £400 and they fitted it, and it melted again when auto lock kicked in. Garage washed their hands of it and said they were out of their depth, so I took it to Seat, Seat had never seen anything like this ever, they contacted the top techs and they couldn't fix it, they spent hour and hours on it and gave up. I bought a used CCM off ebay and a used passenger door loom as a last resort, replaced both, coded my keys and made sure auto lock was turned off, and I fixed it. The issue all along was the passenger door alignment, if the door isn't exactly lined up to the millimetre, the car doesn't know if it's locked or unlocked and so keeps trying over and over to lock itself when in traffic when auto lock would normally kick in. The units were melting as the relay was overheating from repeatedly locking and unlocking the passenger door.
Had to also get a new battery as the car was sat off the road for so long, but all good again now and can concentrate on getting other bits sorted.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members