My New BIG TURBO Thread

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
my turbo surged on the js mani and also surges on the jbs manifold.mine is down to not speccing the turbo properly so unless the jbs manifold is a poor design i think it is a good comparison.

apples and pears steve.
your turbo's issues is wrong spec of parts..

comparing a log(ish) manifold to a tubular with narrow angle merge collector on a different car is'nt what I would do personally. whatever tho steve. i'm sure mr gizmo will be chuffed when its all done and goes like stink

The owens unit is good. it takes some metal removal to fit it however when mounting on a Js mani. get one.. i doubt you will be dissapointed

:thumbup:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
have you tried turbo technics in northampton? They could replace my compressor and turbine wheels(on a td05h 16g6) for £650 including fitting,parts and vat!
If you were to buy another complete turbo you might aswell go for a fp green or owens.

G12MO X

Jul 21, 2007
have you tried turbo technics in northampton? They could replace my compressor and turbine wheels(on a td05h 16g6) for £650 including fitting,parts and vat!
If you were to buy another complete turbo you might aswell go for a fp green or owens.

half way to an Owens ! Just say no mate :help:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
What are you on about mate??i'm talking to steve about getting his turbine wheel replaced and housing machined probably about £400.
Personally the price of this owens bolt on i'd rather have a proper Garrett GT,like a gt3076r or gt35.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
I did originally have boost creep as I have said before on the 1st FP green housing so ported the arse out of it and it went away, but was clearly on the "edge" of what it could flow from a 28mm physical size hole, when I ported out to 32mm from a possible 33mm penny gate. muchos closos to max size I could eak out from it.

Bill, do you think it's worth porting my wategate hole in my TD05 housing before I fit it? The hole is 25mm in diamater with the 33mm gate cover. The inlet to the wastegate area is ported, but the hole itself isn't.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bill, do you think it's worth porting my wategate hole in my TD05 housing before I fit it? The hole is 25mm in diamater with the 33mm gate cover. The inlet to the wastegate area is ported, but the hole itself isn't.

yes I would.. not just making it larger but smoother entry to the ports. JS did this on there VF34's to aid boost control.
:thumbup:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
What are you on about mate??i'm talking to steve about getting his turbine wheel replaced and housing machined probably about £400.
Personally the price of this owens bolt on i'd rather have a proper Garrett GT,like a gt3076r or gt35.

its the old case of when do you draw the line and change direction and stop flogging a setup because you started down that particular road. know that road very well myself.

steve's running a top mount now so has more scope for units to bolt on now. Owens is a good one.

If I were in his shoe's I would go Owens one. Its essentially a garrett wearing different IHI clothes. :D

G12MO X

Jul 21, 2007
its the old case of when do you draw the line and change direction and stop flogging a setup because you started down that particular road. know that road very well myself.
I had to change direction , Costly i know, but just thrown to much into the backdraft kit and it was never going to be right for me

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Exactly mate,my whole turbo kit cost me £2.5k including turbo,manifold(full race),ext wastegate,downpipe,lines etc.

caney

Apr 24, 2005

steve's running a top mount now so has more scope for units to bolt on now. Owens is a good one.

If I were in his shoe's I would go Owens one. Its essentially a garrett wearing different IHI clothes. :D
you must of been reading my mind Bill lol,ordered a new one today which is a full garrett turbo but ihi flanged and much cheaper than the owens one!

G12MO X

Jul 21, 2007
any news on this
Another update, Been a little hickup when my AGU large port head was fitted to my block, my BAM cams were not swaped over
This should have been done and now I need to buy new cams as the AGU ones are 4 and a 1/2 degrees out
Had this checked by jabba and they picked up on it (very good work), As i have sold my old BAM head now I need to by new ones , Well if I have to buy them I may as well get uprated one so have gone for Jabba sport developed fast road piper cams, Mike at Jabba has told me that extra power will be had ( estimated 30 HP) .

These are on one week delivery due to being made to order
in Mikes words it going to be a beast :D

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
lol. If only eveyone knew what the piper cams were. So could that have been why it never ran right with the engine change? Ive got 4 sets of BAM cams. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.