My R......Golf R. Now HTA GTX3071 powered

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Time for a new thread i think! :)

Been promising a few people on here to post up my ride, so here it is.[B)]

I've had a few high powered VAG cars in the past, but they had always been FWD. I had become a bit weary of all the traction issues and power handling limitations that FWD can give and so decided to chop in my modded Polo GTI for something that would give a lot more poke.

The car Steel Grey
5 door
DSG
had 5.5k miles on the clock when bought.
1 previous owner from new who chopped it in as his wife was expecting/just had twins.

The car has Satnav, phone prep, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, front and rear parking sensors (for the missis! :D ) leather and even a rare option of a sunroof. I know this car is never going to be the lightest car, so an extra kg or two for a sunroof ain't going to matter too much. 19" talladega alloys (Currently wearing some 18's).

Below is the current specification of the car as it stands.

Current Specification.

Engine/power modifications

GIAC stage 3 Extreme map - switchable through the GIAC switchloader which includes
1. Pump map - usable everyday with WMI running or not
2. Race map - usable everyday, but MUST have WMI running and octane booster - alternatively 100octane or higher fuel with or without WMI running.
3. Valet mode - restricts power during visits to dealers
4. Kill switch - immobiliser.

GIAC Stage 3 DSG software - this is a custom software and can be programmed as you like it and based on stage 2. Link below.
http://www.giacusa.com/news.php?newsid=147

Loba Motorsports upgrade turbo L0400

RS4 Injectors

Custom intake with Forge Motorsport 3" MAF housing and Evoms front end intake and dry filter.

RS4 136bar fuel pressure return valve

Evoms DV

Custom stainless steel and titanium exhaust with 3.5" downpipe and full 3" rear section.

Loba High pressure fuel-pump. http://www.loba-motorsport.com/en/home/news/new-product---loba-20-tfsi-hpfp-upgrade

RS3 in-tank low pressure fuel-pump

BSH throttle pipe

BSH Vacuum tap - for water methanol injection.

E-Boost 2 boost controller

Revo PCV fix.

Eurojet FMIC

NGK Iridium sparkplugs

Devil's own water methanol injection - http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

Suspension/drive-train Modifications

HPA Haldex Gen IV race controller with remote switching - I'll let HPA explain this one, but it is well worth doing!
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm

Bilstein B16 PSS10 coilover suspension

Whiteline heavy duty droplinks

Full Powerflex poly bushing front and rear

Whiteline Anti-lift kit

H&R front and rear anti-roll bars

Team Dynamics Pro race 1.2 alloys - 8x18 ET45 - 9kg per alloy

Goodyear-Eagle F1 assymetric 2's - 235/40/18 95Y XL

BSH engine mounts

Future mods are to upgrade to a stage 2 head, upgrade to a BBK and then weight reduction and some "sparkly bits";)

A few piccies....

Current performance to 100mph.

Last Dyno at ****** (before the new exhaust system went on)

and one of the car.[B)]

Last edited:

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Cheers guys.

The figures are just about where I want them to be. I'd always said from the beginning that if I could get the R to 400bhp without losing the power lowdown in the rev range then I'd be happy, so over 300bhp at 4,000rpm is more than enough. Now onwards to put the R on a diet.:D

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Very nice. Heard a lot about this car. I have to say tho the Dsg box just is so boring to use lol. I test drove a mk5 R32 with one and even tho its a pretty cool thing to have I just didn't gel with it. I like the feeling of a manual, felt like I was actually driving the car if you get my meaning. Some great times as well, the advantage of 4WD grip.

Last edited:

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Yeah, it was specifically the 4WD that enticed me to the R. More and more manufacturers are going for DSG versions of their cars to reduce CO2 emissions. A lot of the top end HyperCars and super cars have only DSG, so they can't be that bad.:p
I can understand people wanting to stick with what they have always driven ( ie a manual ) but the plain fact is that DSG is simply better and quicker than an equivalent powered manual when you know how to use them.;)

*puts on flame proof clothes and hides behind the sofa* :runaway:

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yeah, it was specifically the 4WD that enticed me to the R. More and more manufacturers are going for DSG versions of their cars to reduce CO2 emissions. A lot of the top end HyperCars and super cars have only DSG, so they can't be that bad.:p
I can understand people wanting to stick with what they have always driven ( ie a manual ) but the plain fact is that DSG is simply better and quicker than an equivalent powered manual when you know how to use them.;)

*puts on flame proof clothes and hides behind the sofa* :runaway:

To be honest John, I agree 100%. I wish I stayed further south so I could be enticed by some of you lads and get a spin in the cars as there are a lack of them up this way.

The truth is that 99.999% of people cant get the best out of a manual gearbox, myself included. Come up to a set of lights in a tuned up Brand x Model y car, and an untuned Brand x Model y car next to you with DSG and a Granny who can't drive worth a toss but is on a mission at the wheel, and she will beat you.

It doesn't matter if it is "cheating" - DSG is faster and you will get beaten if you have the manual ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HpD5K6Qws

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
you have to love the 4wd traction off the line.
the terminals nothing to write home about but the overall 1/4 time is good.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
you have to love the 4wd traction off the line.
the terminals nothing to write home about but the overall 1/4 time is good.

My best 60' times are in the low 1.7's, so I reckon I can still knock a few more tenths off. APR's stage 3 Golf R managed an 11.59 with a terminal of 116mph, so it is definitely doable.

Sub 12 seconds on an official strip has alwas been my target and next year that will be achieved. I'm also keen to drop a sub 8 min bridge to gantry time at the Nurburgring in the R. My fastest previous is an 8'13" for a full lap in the Edition 30 I had and that was stripped out on semi-slicks, BBK, full suspension and just about everything else thrown at it.[B)]

Originally I also wanted to do the 0-60 in under 5 seconds and the 0-100 in under 10 seconds. They went a while ago. LOL

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise