My R......Golf R. Now HTA GTX3071 powered

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Going for a bigger turbo now. GTX3071R.:whistle:

Also reducing a little weight off with the Carbon bonnet I've just bought. Looks good with Grey too.[B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
A few pics of the new bonnet. [B)]

20140108_125520_zps2534a94c.jpg

20140108_125710_zps0f236f02.jpg

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Just about to get my Golf R back after a BT conversion. After much searching on the forums, internet and several discussions with tuners I ended up going with the following.....

Forced Performance HTA3071R externally gated.
TIAL .63AR V-band housing
Turbosmart 45mm wastegate with 10psi spring.
Custom 3.5" downpipe with wastegate pipe plumbed in.
Custom tubular exhaust manifold all TIG and CAD designed.
Custom made pipe work.

Setting up boost through the Turbosmart electronic boost controller.

Should prove fun, but haven't got a clue what power it will make. Hoping for a solid 450+ bhp at 1.5bar with decent spool.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Very nice car mate, 450+ I bet it'll go like a rocket.
Have you had to do any internal work?
Looking forward to see what you think when you get it back.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
So, I should have the R back for the weekend, just waiting on the TIAL housing to arrive from Owen Developments.

Final spec after much deliberation ended up being a bit overkill for how I am initially going to run it, but at least it will give me plenty of headroom for when pistons and rods are done.

As I mentioned, the turbo is a little OTT but has proven results on various cars over the GTX3071R and spool close to the GTX3067R. The turbo I specified will be initially run between 1.5 and 1.6 bar boost, which should achieve over 450bhp on Statllers dyno without WMI and in pump mode. For reference my L0400 using WMI, in race mode and at 2.1 bar made 369bhp on Statllers dyno, so I am looking at a peak gain of over 70bhp.

Longer term this turbo with supporting mods of pistons, rods, fuelling upgrades, intake manifold, cylinder head and cams will make over 550bhp, so should be a permanent fixture.[B)]

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
Amazing car dude, really impressed by those figures too :-o

So undecided between getting one of these or a MK2 Cupra R. The 4wd seems immense as well as the DSG box! Hmm :p

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
You're right!

The combination of 4WD and DSG is a killer combo. Even at just stage 1 the Golf R is quicker down the strip than stage 2+ Cupra R's. My mate did a 12.85 at stage 1.

Mine should be in the lower half of the 11's without internals.[B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Well I got the R back this evening and it is a beast. Still running low boost until my tuner can dial it in, but even so it is looking very promising.

tuan21

My Cupra, my life style
Feb 24, 2011
Italy
:worship::worship:

every time I read this thread... It's quite like a xxx po.rn

:clap::clap:

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Going to have to pop in past on my way south next month to catch up and see this beast John!

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Cheers guys. Took her out for a spin to York and back and I'm excited about what the final set-up will be like as it is good now.

Al, yep I'll meet up with you sometime if you are down my way.[B)]

Hi Ben! yeah she feels epic too. :)