Italy
crazy car :-o:stars:

If I understand you modify the Haldex ECU managment :confused:

Last edited:

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
So, a week has flown by since the turbo kit went on and I can honestly say this is THE single most awesome modification I have ever done. The R is running better and stronger than it has ever done and all the logging that Steve at Statller did when setting it up on the dyno shows that the car is running exactly as it should. Fuelling, timing and boost are all spot on and the car feels very smooth on the road.

Negatives?
The lag - It is there if you press your foot down in a high gear at low revs, but you'd be daft to do this. It takes a little adaptation and re-learning on how to drive with this set-up over my K04 or Loba set-up although the benefits far outweigh the momentary lag.
Launch control - More difficult to get just right, but you don't really need it as it will still do 0-60 in under 4 seconds without it!

Positives?
The power delivery - Relentless and sooo seductive, where the K04 starts to slack off at 6krpm, this set up simply pushes you back hard into the seat all the way to the redline.
Fuel consumption - Appears to be better.....unless you press the fast pedal.
Driveability - the car just feels better to drive for not having the huge hump of torque low down in the rev range, smoother and more linear. Part throttle is excellent.
Speed - The obvious advantage really. This thing hauls ass. Make no mistake about it a stage 2+R wouldn't see which way this car went. Conservatively speaking, this will now do 0-100mph in under 8 seconds. The quarter mile time should drop significantly.
Safety - Not one I would usually put down here, but it has to be said that overtaking is a breeze and it seriously reduces the amount of time you are on the wrong side of the road and exposed.
Noise - Goddam it this thing makes a sound like a jet fighter at full WOT!
Flames - I have them and it looks mental!

Cost?
Well for my specific set-up it isn't cheap, but something like a CTS kit with a GTX3067R would yield similar results running off the GIAC BT map and wouldn't break the bank.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
A little clearer pic on the rollers
5a42979bc6c88432f2b753e5eee67c6d_zps53253b4c.jpg

0-100..... Slightly uphill!
4525fcc126771a616eef13bed696e6dd_zps37b9e181.jpg

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Today I went up to AET Motorsport who have a Dynapack dyno. This is the same make of dyno that APR use to tune and advertise their outputs for their cars. these Dynos are all calibrated to run within 0.3% of each other and so I thought I'd see what my R would do.
Only used the LOWER two of my three settings on the dyno as the higher setting was just hitting the over boost shutdown and I didn't want to push things too far.

Here was the result......465whp ( 511bhp - target achieved ) and 385 wheel lbft.

Full boost just after 3500rpm!!

image by john.hurditch, on Flickr

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Went to Santa Pod yesterday. Great day out and the weather was good.

Resulted in an 11.46 time at 120.15mph.

New UK record for a MKVI Golf R. :funk:

Done with nothing stripped from the car, on Shell 99ron with WMI, on low boost setting and in pump mode.

Wonder what she will do with some weight off and on race fuel?

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
That is serious time. Smug much?

It is a great time, but no place to be smug as I know there are better time out there and several builds in process that could do quicker times. My best launch could have netted me an 11.3 that day but gearing up manually just as the box decided to also gear up shagged the ET. :cry:

Deeper into the 11's is my target. [B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Ran the R on Awesomes dyno at the Seatcupranet RR day recently. They only just managed to get the dynos new hardware and software done the day before the dyno day, so we all had a quick presentation from Jim. looks like no more mahoosive torque figures for anyone from now on!

For comparison a Stage 2+ APR Cupra with full bolt-ons pulled 355bhp and 385lbft just before I went on whereas before the dynos new software it would have probably done 380bhp and 440lbft.

Results were.......495bhp and over 400lbft.

First graph is bhp and wheel torque. The second is wheel torque and torque to all four wheels. :cool:

317abbf7c190386af5336c973dcddf2a_zps88d8d9c0.jpg

51628c2e275a930f99771ac4b07a5178_zpsc5dc6797.jpg

Since then the power has been dialled up again and as a result the car now does this......

f9c7dc9e67a6d3d408910be3cda264de_zpsac107098.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members