My RAID LED rear lights... (56k warning!)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Vicky M said:
James, your lights looked the mutts tonight, but you suffer the same problem i had with LED rears in the Ibiza?

3rd brake light glows with tail lights on???

The problem occurs because there is not enough voltage drop using LED's, therefore a resistor pack is required.

biggest issue i had, was the car was telling the ECU that there were no brake lights, thus dropping power, and flashing the EGR light on the dash board?

Hope yours runs better, i reverted to stock bulbs, coz i couldn't be bothered to work out the resistance required!!!

thanks! :)

but wats this 3rd brake light glow? mine is fine as far as i know! (did u think mine was glowing?)

tho i know DAN has has the engine managment light come on on his! :(

J@mes said:
thanks! :)

but wats this 3rd brake light glow? mine is fine as far as i know! (did u think mine was glowing?)

tho i know DAN has has the engine managment light come on on his! :(

you can't see it in any kind of daylight, but when you pulled out last night with Tris, there was defininately a glow fron the top brake light.

i would have thought that a complete light block would be pre-resisted???
Perhaps get back on to the manufacturer and ask if the should have resistor packs, why they didn't come with them, and what are they going to do about it??

Stu

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
right stu...

just put my car in the garage (so its in the dark!) and yes there is a slight glow coming from the 3rd brake light! :cry:

il have to phone raid 2mo and see wat they say!

if no luck is there anything i can do to eliminate this glow?! :confused:

sorry im useless at this sort of thing with out help! lol

thanks,

james :)

It's down to the resistance across the bulb. LED's draw such a little current that the electronics thinks that no bulb is present/or not working.

I had it when i put LED indicators into the Pug, they just flash mental, as if one bulb has blown.

The only way is to put a resistor pack in line, so the current draw is not measured.

I'd put it back into the hands of RAID. They should have made it clear when you bought them

paul h

Dec 22, 2005
Lincoln
have the lights got led bulbs in them james ?? iv'e heard stories of these bulbs causing problems before

Edit too slow doh

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Vicky M said:
It's down to the resistance across the bulb. LED's draw such a little current that the electronics thinks that no bulb is present/or not working.

I had it when i put LED indicators into the Pug, they just flash mental, as if one bulb has blown.

The only way is to put a resistor pack in line, so the current draw is not measured.

I'd put it back into the hands of RAID. They should have made it clear when you bought them

to be quit honest, i can happily live with this ever so subtle glow at night, but still! il get on the blower 2mo!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
infact just thought... il take a pic at nite with the car in the garage so its very dark and post it up to show u!

did u think the glow was obvious vicky/stu?

rst_cupra_r

jamie from essex
Jul 23, 2005
Braintree, Essex
wont the glow get u a/ either pulled over or b/ fail a mot, i think ya should get raid to sort it u paid for e-marked lights there not legal if there makin other things go wrong m8 let thm deal wit it they are nice lights thou

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
right just took loads of pics!

will put on comp and pic the best ones, then upload on net...

back to the glow!

i realised i do have the glow! but only when my car is on! :doh:

and yes its noticable! :cry:

so therefore i deffinately need to get this sorted! :help:

see wat raid says 2mo!

il upload pics soon...

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
just for you SoLiDSnK...

here are some more pics...

5340200.jpg

5340215.jpg

5340187.jpg

5340217.jpg

the car is off, so these LEDs are actually slightly brighter when the engine is on!

5340218.jpg

5340193.jpg

5340199.jpg

and whilst i was at it... :whistle:

5340202.jpg

no my car isnt tinted (except sunstrip!)...

53400206.jpg

53400212.jpg

RobDon

Pro Detailer
LED's do seem to cause problems - I fitted LED stop/tail bulbs and the middle brake light was on (but dim) when I switched my lights on, it was like a 3rd tail light, still lit up brightly when braking but was on all the time.

I removed the LED bulbs as I don't want a brake light on all the time - a prime excuse to get pulled over by the cops.