My tdi cupra broke :(

trillers

Mar 21, 2010
Hi guys, I am new on here but wish my first topic wasnt a negative one!! Ive got a 54 reg Ibiza cupra tdi. oday I did a 90 mile round trip and when I got back to cambridge, i went down through the gears as I went round a corner about 1/2 mile from my house. I got down to 2nd, then when I accelerated there was a POP and i just heard the turbo spooling down. It wasnt a loud noise at all but afterward there was very little or no acceleration and the car was struggling to get over 15mph. I pulled over and turned the car off then back on again. it started fine but still wouldnt rev very high at all. I stuck the hazards on and attempted to get home. the car wasnt going anymoe than 10mph in 1st with my foot flat to the floor, like it was in limp mode. I got it about 500 yards down the road on to my road and it just conked out in a massive plume of white smoke. I tried to start it again probably 4 times and it was like it had a flat battery, it was turning over but very slowly. After this turning the key nothing was happening at all, the ignition lights come up and all the electrics work but the car will not turn over whatsoever. I checked the oil and although it was on the low side, I dont think it was low enough to do any damage. Ive tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for an hour but it is doing nothing. At no point were there any warning lights, nor where there any weird noises, no bangs or clatters!!! Im hopefully geting it to the garage tomorrow but as you can imagine I am going out of my mind with worry so if anyone has any possible diagnosis, it would be much appreciated!! My Dad seems to think the engine hasnt seized as you can put the car into gear and rock it

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
sounds like one of your boost pipes has popped off, check all them first on the left side of your engine, and also on the offside underneeth the car. If they are all intact and still jointed up propperly, i would say your turbo has sh*t itself.

trillers

Mar 21, 2010
thanks for your repliy Makey, my thoughts would also be the turbo, but would that explain why it wont even start now?

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
i had my boost pipe pop off on mine once and they run really lumpy, as if the engine cut out was cutting in and out. I also blew my turbo, but it siezed up on the exhaust side, so the gasses couldnt escape, so it was redirecting them through the EGR valve, basically choking the engine (as its feeding exhaust gasses instead of oxygen) Check your boost pipes first, if they are intact, get under your car, take the boost pipe off the turbo ( silver side-compressed outlet that goes to the intake) and have a feel of the turbines, see if it spins freely. it may have done what mine did, and snapped the turbine off the shaft. dont try run the engine anymore, if the turbine has sh*t itself, the broken off turbine blades will have blown into the intercooler, and these DO NOT want to get into the engine. If it has gone bang, its not a huge job, i did mine on the driveway, just make sure you keep everything as clean as possible, and also all the intercooler and pipes will need to be removed and cleaned to remove all the oil and turbine bits ( also why your engine may be slightly low on oil)

Hope this helps :)

trillers

Mar 21, 2010
Ye cheers for your help mate, liek I sed its going into the garage 2moro. If it had blown the turbo into the engine Im guessing it would make quite a lot of noise?? As there were literally no rattles/bangs etc

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
boost pipe popped off and taken the alternator belt with it (they are very close in one place)

This would explain the pop, the lack of power and the battery being dead.

Normally when a boost hose popps off the car sounds like it has no exhaust and smokes like mad.

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
yeah you would have known it if it did! usually bits dont get past the intercooler!

trillers

Mar 21, 2010
BRILLIANT cheers guys you have put my mind at rest, I will be using this site a lot!!

Makey_FR

Dec 31, 2008
the people on here are very helpful on SCN. if your unsure about something, someone has usually had the same problem and resolved it :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.