My Temperature gauge????

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
My water temp guage seems to be playing up, on an off so far.... It seems too bounce between just above the centre an down to cold until the cars fully warmed up, an if you rev the car a little the guage will fluctuate with the revs??

I have read a few threads on this but i want too know exactly which sensor i need, at the moment i think its the one on the thermostat housing which needs upgrading too a green one, an NOT the one on the header tank, would this be correct?

Help much appreciated as im gunna go to GSF:banned: tommorow.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Hi Mate
This could be the water pump
If the temp guage goes up while your moving and stays low when just ticking over , it could be the water pump
But then it could be the coolant temp sensor
Sarah

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
have a read of this thread
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122346&highlight=temp+sensor

i got pretty confused with all this.

as said if its the water pump it will rise above 90 when you drive hard.

in my experience the green top temp sensor didnt effect the dash gauge when it failed.

there is another sensor on the header tank which i think controls the gauge itself.

then im guessing theres a third sensor in the thermostat housing ???

any enlightened peeps out there want to clear this up?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
AFAIK when the water pump goes if you drive over 60 for a short while the temp will go right up on the gauge.

eventually it will stay at 120 even when doing 30mph! as i found out when i limped mine 170 miles to jabbasport. it was a very poorly water pump at the end:(

ChrisJ

Lemon
Feb 2, 2007
APD Vag - Near Holton Heath
Thanks mate, so far so good, i think its now fixed!:lol:

So the outcome was it needed a new thermostat housing temp sensor, Only cost £13.50 from GSF at trade price :funk: and it was a 5 min job to fit.

Flip_1977

Resurrecting this old thread, becuase I have got thoroughly confused. My Leon 110 tdi has very similar symptoms, if driven round town it will get up to 90 degrees and sit there comfortably, you take it on a gentle motorway trip and it'll drop to 60 degrees and sit there, maybe dragging up as high as 62 if you boot it.

So is this the thermometer or the temperature sensor? If its the sensor where is it! Some say in the thermo housing, some say its on the other side of the engine, on the block, just above the clutch somewhere, I'm not sure if these diff positions are dependant on which engine we are talking about?

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
Resurrecting this old thread, becuase I have got thoroughly confused. My Leon 110 tdi has very similar symptoms, if driven round town it will get up to 90 degrees and sit there comfortably, you take it on a gentle motorway trip and it'll drop to 60 degrees and sit there, maybe dragging up as high as 62 if you boot it.

Doesnt seem that abnormal to me?

Flip_1977

I thought thermostat, but some people seem to suggest the sender plug thing - changing for a "green top" one instead of a "black top" one?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members