My Turbo Is Dead, Can I upgrade it rather than replace it?

salve3tor13

Hi,

I have an Ibiza MK4 TDI130 Sport remaped to 170bhp :) I was so happy with it until tonight as my Turbo went, leaving me stranded in Birmingham City Centre for 3 hours :censored:

I have been getting thirsty for more power, and I was wondering if i can get a new PD150 turbo instead of the 130. It seems to retail for around the same price, will it fit to my car or do I need to do anything else to the engine?

I had been driving it when the big pipe feeding air into the turbo had came off... plumes of black smoke out the back lol, is this what killed my turbo?

Also the AA man noticed that the cap on my break fluid was missing, and he said I will have contaminated the break fluid. Is this serious? Do I need to get the break fluid changed?:confused:

1 more problem :(

When I put my key in the ignition sometimes the immobilizer light wont stop flashing, and so I cannot start the car, however if I take it out and put it back in it usually works, any ideas?

Thanks to any1 willing to help

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
With regards to the Turbo, your car will have been remapped to work with the PD130 turbo, so upgrading the turbo, without upgrading map would be unwise in my opinion, you may also need to upgrade other parts of the car also, not really sure. If you have got water or other substances in your brake fluid then it will need to be changed, normally about £40 - £50.

Try plugging in vag-com and see if you get any errors.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
If the cap is missing, you will definitely have contaminated the brake fluid as it is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air). This will have lowered the boiling point and created small air bubbles...result is a spongey pedal and dangerous as you will get air pockets. It must have spilled out the resorvoir too.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Neither does brake fluid (when new), but I get your point. Air does compress which isn't what you want :)

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Are you 100% certain your turbo has blown?
Reading your first post, you mention that the pipe blew off. Have you since replaced this pipe and then the turbo blown?

The way you have worded it, it sounds to me as if your claiming the pipe blew off and the turbo blew at the same time. Wouldnt have thought this would be the case.

Can you describe it a bit clearer as your original postmay be slightly misleading.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The turbo pipe popping off is very common after a remap and the turbo doesn't normally suffer any damage as a result.

Refit the turbo pipe with a new £5 clip and all should be well again.

Your other problem with the not starting sounds like the chip in the key is loose or the reader in the steering collumn is not reading it too well, try the spare key and see if that helps.

salve3tor13

Hi, no the AA man told me the turbo has gone.

The pipe blew off and i was driving it around for a few days blowing black smoke out the back :whistle: I then got the pipe reconnected and its still on now...

Could the fact that I did drive it about 50 miles (in short trips) over about 3 days be the reason why my turbo is now broken?

salve3tor13

LMAO of course I noticed... just could be arsed to fix it :S lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.