need to do the timing belt on mothers car

cooper1200

hey all as the title suggests i nee to do the timing belt on my mothers altea tdi. is there anything i need to be aware of or any how to guides or videos
thanks coop

cooper1200

far as i remember its 1.9 tdi but it has an automatic steptronic gearbox.

i mean do i need specalist tools is it a pig to time it? i havent looked yet so i have no idea what it looks like im used to working on rovers ...just thought i would ask on here as mother is champing at the bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
You need a cam locking pin and the crank locking tool. for the cambelt itself.

Its a simple enough belt, access can be tricky though.

cooper1200

ok... sorry for the slight miss information. just spoke to mother she said it was an altea tdi sport... she thought a 2.0 although she wasnt sure on the capacity. i have a cam locking tool (kinda shaped like an I) for my rover... i assume i will need to buy a diff one for mothers car is it simular to my one though?.

as for the crank locking tool. in the past i have taken the front flywheel cover plate off and jamed it with a screwdriver or if i struggled with that whipeed the startermotor out.

are the timing marks easy to see and understand and is the tentioner easy to do.. the rover can be a bit of a bugger sometimes
coop

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
There are no timing marks hence the need for tools.

The crank tool locks into the crank gear and holds it in place, the cam tool is a pin. If its a twin cam (2.0) then you need two pins for the top. The cam pulleys are of a vernier type that are adjustable.

cooper1200

are the tools expencive? how much should a garage charge?

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
My local motor factor (Andrew Page) sells various tools from various manufacturers, and looking through one of the brochures the other day, I saw that they do a kit with all relevant pins etc for £23 !!!

cooper1200

ok thanks i will have a butchers in my local motorfactors in kent.

Is there an explination on here or else where on vernier cam pulleys (i had a quick google last night and all i could find was people adding them to thier cars for tuning) i have never come across them b4
thanks coop

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.